What we are doing right on offense!! | The Boneyard

What we are doing right on offense!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Has anyone noticed since the umass game Lyle mccombs has soon some great pass protection. This guy has been throwing blocks on 250 lb plus guys

Our sacks seem to be lower than last year. Credit whitmer and pass protection

We have been healthy. No injury bug yet. Played a couple physical defenses

Back to Lyle he tackles defenders they don't tackle him. The kid finishes forward on his rushes.

Recievers fighting for extra yards mr smith we r talking to u. Great job

Getting into and out of wildcat smooth. Getting lined up smooth. A decrease in our illegal formations minus the nc state game. Minus that game we seem to get to line of scrimmage smoother.

Our line feeds off emotion and momentum. Fans bring it. Did anyone notice when Lyle had the big run the ol just blows the other team off the ball when we get our td. This was visible during nc state and Maryland. They seem to thrive off positive gains.

Anyone else notice anything good the offense doing please share

Reaction Score
Kudos to you and your half full glass!

Whitmer was able to show some escapability and move the chains with his feet.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
That post was a lot longer than I thought it would be.

My own list:

1) Occasional glimpses of competence.
2) No fatalities.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
We generally get 11 players on the field. We know to handoff exceptionally well.

Reaction Score
We generally get 11 players on the field. We know to handoff exceptionally well.
what a helpful post hope u didn't strain yourself with that one
I can even go further!!

Tell me right now. Like this post If u have been lost as to who had the ball on the wildcat. I know it's not our favorite but u have to admit it causes misdirection. Hopefully we start changing it upto more sweep style runs because teams are overplaying is to the inside.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
what a helpful post hope u didn't strain yourself with that one
I can even go further!!

Tell me right now. Like this post If u have been lost as to who had the ball on the wildcat. I know it's not our favorite but u have to admit it causes misdirection. Hopefully we start changing it upto more sweep style runs because teams are overplaying is to the inside.

I would respond but I honestly don't understand what you mean by "I can even go further" and "tell me right now" Mccummings is the wildcat qb. I think I might be the only one that thinks he should be our full time starter.

Reaction Score
The OL looked better compared to last week. Got better push, even w/out Masters.
We don't commit too many penalties.
The Wildcat (and I am not a fan of the Wikdcat) actually was effective today.
Zero INT's.
That's all I got right now.

Reaction Score
Deleone has kept the playbook simple and easy to remember. Opposing Defensive Coordinators have the upmost desire to compete against him. And most of all, the UConn punter may set some kind of a record for most plays (for a kicker) in a season.

Reaction Score
Whitmer is right around 60% completions, which is really what's needed for an effective passing game. I think if our play calling was a little more balanced on first and second down he'd probably be over 60%. It seems like last week they were satisfied using the first down to just get to 2nd and 8 to avoid being 2nd and long, and I guess there's a logic there after how we started most of our NCState drives.

While we only passed for 70 yards last week, Whitmer threw about 65% completions and didn't throw any picks. It's possible we're seeing a progression here. My hope is that we'll see the play book open up a little bit. If we have an easier time running against WMU it may free up Deleone to put in a little bit more of a passing game. Personally I like when the passing game is used to open up the running game for a back like McCombs, but if this is how he wants to do it, at least we may see it this week.

I went into the statistics looking for reasons to bash Deleone, but all in all I guess I would have signed up for 65% completions with no INTs going into last week's game. 70 yards may not be a lot, but it was enough and no INTs was huge. I think the coaches decided to strip everything down and build new from the ground up and I think we have some blocks to build on now. Or maybe I've just become a glass half full kind of guy in my older age.

Reaction Score
Whitmer is right around 60% completions, which is really what's needed for an effective passing game. I think if our play calling was a little more balanced on first and second down he'd probably be over 60%. It seems like last week they were satisfied using the first down to just get to 2nd and 8 to avoid being 2nd and long, and I guess there's a logic there after how we started most of our NCState drives.

While we only passed for 70 yards last week, Whitmer threw about 65% completions and didn't throw any picks. It's possible we're seeing a progression here. My hope is that we'll see the play book open up a little bit. If we have an easier time running against WMU it may free up Deleone to put in a little bit more of a passing game. Personally I like when the passing game is used to open up the running game for a back like McCombs, but if this is how he wants to do it, at least we may see it this week.

I went into the statistics looking for reasons to bash Deleone, but all in all I guess I would have signed up for 65% completions with no INTs going into last week's game. 70 yards may not be a lot, but it was enough and no INTs was huge. I think the coaches decided to strip everything down and build new from the ground up and I think we have some blocks to build on now. Or maybe I've just become a glass half full kind of guy in my older age.

It is truly amazing that their QB is being praised for going 10 for 24 with a pick (and a TD on a tipped ball that arguably should have been called back) and ours is being beaten up for going 10 for 16 without a pick. I know that most of the complaints are coming from people who are in fact UConn fans, but at times it is hard for me to emotionally understand how that can be the case.

Whitmer was told to play conservatively, he played conservatively, we reduced turnovers from 3 or 4 in a game to 1 and we lead all the way and won. Should be 'nuff said. I am not a Deleone fan, but as long as he doesn't prevent us from winning on a game by game basis I can live with it

Reaction Score
Has anyone noticed since the umass game Lyle mccombs has soon some great pass protection. This guy has been throwing blocks on 250 lb plus guys

Our sacks seem to be lower than last year. Credit whitmer and pass protection

We have been healthy. No injury bug yet. Played a couple physical defenses

Back to Lyle he tackles defenders they don't tackle him. The kid finishes forward on his rushes.

Recievers fighting for extra yards mr smith we r talking to u. Great job

Getting into and out of wildcat smooth. Getting lined up smooth. A decrease in our illegal formations minus the nc state game. Minus that game we seem to get to line of scrimmage smoother.

Our line feeds off emotion and momentum. Fans bring it. Did anyone notice when Lyle had the big run the ol just blows the other team off the ball when we get our td. This was visible during nc state and Maryland. They seem to thrive off positive gains.

Anyone else notice anything good the offense doing please share

I thought it was just the warm weather.

Reaction Score
Scott McCummings has completed 100% of his passes and since he has started to throw he has run the ball extremely well.

After one game Nick Williams was averaging 8 yards per carry on three carries.

After three games he is still averaging 8 yards per carry on three carries, WTF.

Reaction Score
We are close to being a top 100 NCAA offensive unit.
Are 119th in 1st downs per game at 12.33, way ahead of last place Temple.
Are 79th in 3rd down conversion % (which with the low 1st downs per game shows how often our defense is giving the offense the ball).
Are 111th in pass . rating, one of only 11 teams below 105, way ahead of Colorado which is last amongst BCS teams.

Good stuff. Just think what will be after teams now has 15 games of the PP/Deleone offensive scheme under their belt.

This is failure of mega proportions and we find that having no interceptions and fhcRE out sucking our coaching staff at the end of the game as reasons for "offense is improving" thoughts. Every team in the BE has fire hydrant type running backs that will wear out our defense and Uconn has a 165 lb between the tackles beast who 2 or 3 times a game falls down on his own.

This is a BE winning potential team that is being coached to a 6-6 season (if catch a few breaks).

After all this good offensive stuff in the last game, you are WM defensive coordinator - what are you setting up as a defense against Uconn's 1st down plays? Worried that Uconn will be in 2nd and short all game? Worried that your defenders can bring LM down 1 on 1? Worried about the deep threat? Where are you going to play your safeties vs. LOS? What are you worried about with Uconn 2 TE set? How are you going to keep the ball out of Williams hands with all the plays Uconn calls for its most dynamic offensive threat?

Reaction Score
One thing to keep in mind. MD does have a top 10 ranked defense also (I know they played US and W&M) but that is like saying you can't count our 115th ranked defense.

I rewatched the game twice...and I saw the OL did a much better job this week run blocking, and Whitmer made better decisions. Wildcat was better also. I think it can't be used solely one play at a time, and you do need to let McCummings drop back at least a couple of times a game or it isn't credible. Better. Not good, but better. If we played that way against NC State we would be 3-0. Needs to get a lot better to be sure, but I'm hopeful. With this defense, you don't need to be awesome, just average.

Reaction Score
I am most happy with the fact that we have far less sacks. Don't want to focus on Johnny Mac ... OK I am ... but you simply are nowhere if you are back 20 yards. We are slightly ... ever so slightly ... better off now.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I actually thought the OL was much better. I mean they didn't once trip their own QB. That was without masters... in the NC state game it seemed like every time we moved the chains their would be a false start/procedure call/holding call against our OL. Not the case in this game. It's a foundation we can build on.

Reaction Score
Passing offense:

2012:
1st downs. 13 attempts. 7 compleitions. 54% 106 total yards. 3 interceptions
2nd downs: 26 attempts 16 compleition. 70% 200 yards. 0 interceptions
3rd downs: 31 attempts 17 compleition 55% 193 yards 2 interceptions 13 of 17 complete for first downs. 77%

3rd and 4-6 to go: 9 attempts, 7 completions, 6 of 7 for first downs.
3rd an 7-9 to go: 9 attempts, 5 completions, 5 of 5 for first downs.

2011 Passing offense:

1st downs: 111 attempts, 56 compleition 50.5% 5 TD 4 Int
2nd down 123 attempts, 72 completions 58.5% 4 TD 2 Int
3rd Down: 119 attempts, 51 completions 43 % 4 TD 2 Int 36 or 51 for first downs. 70%

3rd an 4-6 to go: 31 attempts, 16 compleitions 50% 13 of 16 for first downs.
3rd and 7-9 to go: 36 attempts, 14 compleitions 40% 7 of 14 for first downs 50%.

I wrote yesterday about clutch play on offense, signs of life. Look at those numbers, there's one major, major difference between this year so far, and what we did through 12 games last year. Hint - it has to do with completions on third downs. We are significantly better on third downs, specifically third and long passing situations than we were last year, and that we have been for several years prior.

You get better on first and second down, when you are good at third down.

I hadn't looked at the stats yesterday - but I have now. We are 50% on third and long passing situations, and all of our completions in those situations to date, have gone for first downs - some have been extra effort on receivers end, some have been extra effort on the QB's part, while getting hit in the face.

When you develop confidence in your ability to convert in situations like that, you can really start to develop confidence in play calling on first and second downs, and that means more diversity on first and second downs.

You don't just start mixing up play calls, to make things happen on offense.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
I think it's too early? Have always felt that the Uconn offense seems to gel better as yr progress',can only hope D doesn't get too banged up by yrs end.

Reaction Score
That play that Whitmer got stripped on, if that went the other way and he kept the ball we probably would have put points on the board later in that drive. Glimpses of goodness. I like the fact that he took off. Didn't like the outcome on that particular play but.... you never would have seen that last year. So things are definitely getting better.

Reaction Score
I think it's too early? Have always felt that the Uconn offense seems to gel better as yr progress',can only hope D doesn't get too banged up by yrs end.
Did I miss that part last season? Wow, must of been the tailgaiting. Come to think of it a terrific '10 season ended with the offense scoring zero TDs at South Florida and zero TD's in the Fiesta Bowl. Must have missed that "gel", too.

Reaction Score
I wrote yesterday about clutch play on offense, signs of life. Look at those numbers, there's one major, major difference between this year so far, and what we did through 12 games last year. Hint - it has to do with completions on third downs. We are significantly better on third downs, specifically third and long passing situations than we were last year, and that we have been for several years prior.

You get better on first and second down, when you are good at third down.
And, some offensive coordinators insist that you get significantly better on third down when you are good on first and second down. A strong correlation, I'm pretty sure. Something about 3rd and short being way better than 3rd and long. I dunno, it seems kind of complicated but from what I hear it has something to do with the opposing defense having to protect against both the pass and the run - and not just a 3rd and long pass attempt.

I hadn't looked at the stats yesterday - but I have now. We are 50% on third and long passing situations, and all of our completions in those situations to date, have gone for first downs - some have been extra effort on receivers end, some have been extra effort on the QB's part, while getting hit in the face.

When you develop confidence in your ability to convert in situations like that, you can really start to develop confidence in play calling on first and second downs, and that means more diversity on first and second downs.

You don't just start mixing up play calls, to make things happen on offense. Is this a quote from the George Deleone Book on Dynamic Offenses of the 1950's era? He advocates in one of the early chapters that if a hand off up the middle to Lyle McComb doesn't work well the first eight times in a row, that you should expect something different (just maybe) on the ninth time.

Seems like you had to work real hard to get there, but . . . you did correctly point out that this year's offense is "improved", if you will, over last year's. You're correct, indeed, and there does seem to be a glimmer of hope. Just hope that "glimmer" shows up sometime before Dec. 2nd.

Reaction Score
That play that Whitmer got stripped on, if that went the other way and he kept the ball we probably would have put points on the board later in that drive. Glimpses of goodness. I like the fact that he took off. Didn't like the outcome on that particular play but.... you never would have seen that last year. So things are definitely getting better.

YES

We have glimpses of good play. Minor pieces. Particularly on that 76 yard clutch drive. Plays by Smith & Delahunt & McCummings all made it look easy; why not the rest of the game?

With Randy Edsall ... in a time so long ago ... he used to put together a very nice Move-the-chains effort early in most games. I don't think we are near that today. I have no confidence that Deleone has an notion of how to really go get first downs & get a few points early. With our defense, this is crucial.

Reaction Score
got to keep showing progress. NC State came out and confused the out of the blockers on offense with all kinds of movement at the point of attack. We learned from it. Maryland came out and started run blitzing all over the place, and we didn't get it addressed to after the half, and still had problems. McCombs TD run was an inside linebacker stunt through the opposite A gap, the linebacker was untouched and ran himself out of the play, the other inside backer got plowed by two blockers, and everybody else did there job - and McCombs didn't have anybody to make miss, on his way to teh endzone. at the line and TE's blocked perfectly.

By the time conference play opens up, the blockers will have seen everything they can possibly have thrown at them, and we'll see if they're able to learn from it.

and when I say blockers, I mean more than the 5 guys up front.

Reaction Score
We had one play, set up, where we had three blockers out in front of McCombs ready to go at least 15 yards - if not all the way to the house, but McCombs slipped on the turf making a turn to get in behind the blockers. Those things happen.

When you're ducking up on your own on other plays, when you miss on something like that, it hurts more.

I expect progress on offense this week.

And I expect to get the monkey off our back, and win consecutive games for the first time, in a long, long time.

Reaction Score
YES

We have glimpses of good play. Minor pieces. Particularly on that 76 yard clutch drive. Plays by Smith & Delahunt & McCummings all made it look easy; why not the rest of the game?

With Randy Edsall ... in a time so long ago ... he used to put together a very nice Move-the-chains effort early in most games. I don't think we are near that today. I have no confidence that Deleone has an notion of how to really go get first downs & get a few points early. With our defense, this is crucial.

Pudge - in Randy's offense, players didn't think. It was rote. You did the same thing all the time. There's comfort in that. There's nothign wrong with that approach. Just like anything else - there are postives and negatives about how you approach a subject, and reachign a goal. THe key to success in reaching that goal, is being consistent in whatever your chosen approach is, and not changing it, rather letting it develop.

The offensive philosophy we've got now, is completely different, and again there are positives and negatives about how you approach a subject, and reaching a goal - but the key to success in reachign that goal - is being consistent in whatever your approach is, and not changing it.

Now all that philosophical BS aside, we need to start getting out on the move and flattening defenders in our running game.

We had players all over the field against Maryland, in position, they weren't doing that against NC State - they've got to repeat what they did against Maryland now, and when they get to where they're supposed to be, start smacking some defenders around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom