What the Hell was that??

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by John, Oct 17, 2016.

1. John

John "Come with me if you want to live." - Cameron

Ok, I know I'm a little late on this - finally watch 2001: A Space Odyssey for the first time tonight. Very stunning movie - the classical score really added a lot to it too (the other music was Godawful, the weird chanting, etc). I liked everything right up until the final act. W~T~F was that???? All the flying colors, then the bedroom, the man eating then laying in bed, then he turns into a bubble baby.

2. Mano

Mano Certified Bonehead

Yea, great movie, entrancing in many ways. It really ratchets up the tension as HAL gets more menacing. It's been a while since I've seen it, but I've always took the appearances of the monolith as a helping alien hand in mankind's evolution. The last act taking Bowman through the final stages of that evolution until his rebirth into a more perfect human specimen. Probably a simplistic take, but again it's been a while. Would be a great Superman or superhero origin story anyway.

ZooCougar and John like this.
  3. ZooCougar

ZooCougar

It's all in the books. I never read them though.

John likes this.
  4. ZooCougar

ZooCougar

I have the same interpretation as Mano. The monoliths appear at all of the crucial junctures in mankind's evolution.

At this point mankinds tools have begun outsmarting man (Hal). So maybe the monoliths are balancing everything out by creating the Starchild at the end?

I usually rewatch this one every few years. The last time I saw it was when Interstellar came out.

5. JCSuperstar

JCSuperstar

John likes this.
  6. JCSuperstar

JCSuperstar

I think of the end scene as being a mirror of the beginning as well. Instead of desperate and starving like the Apes who learn to use tools to kill, Bowman is now bored and comfortable as you watch him with his steak dinner (it's been a while for me too). Capital 'M' Man has solved his old problems and must move on.

John likes this.
  7. John

John "Come with me if you want to live." - Cameron

the HAL scenes are chilling - loved HAL lip-reading.