What the ACC and BE needs to do next!! | The Boneyard

What the ACC and BE needs to do next!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Good article. Paints the past mistakes in an honest light and provides a glimpse of hope for the future.

Reaction Score
One thing that I've seen rumored (which may or may not be credible) is for the ACC to align with Notre Dame in the Orange Bowl. It would make at least some sense for all involved.

Reaction Score
I told y'all months ago that the Big East could have been leading the charge for a college football post saeson that makes sense a long itme ago, but Tranghese didn't give a about football. Wetzel finally picks up on it.

I'm hoping that new leadership leads the charge.

It's not money that the so called power conferences stand to lose. I've said that for months on end now too, and sooner or later they'll pick up on it too.

It's the recruiting advantages. no longer will a tty recruiter be able to walk into a kids living room with certain colors on, and get that kid to go to that school.

THat's for you huskyfandan, you want to see who the best recruiters are? what schools actually have the best athletic and academic programs?

Set up a true post season championship so that all 121 division 1-A football programs have the same road to a national title, and the recruiting playing field for college football gets paved level.

and there is no intercollegiate sport in the country, where academics, revenue streams, and all of it is so important to the health of a university - than college football.

Reaction Score
here's what I would do...I would band together with the other non-autobid conferences and go to the NCAA and cut a deal to have a 12 team playoff. Conference Champs from the Big East, ACC, CUSA, Sunbelt, MAC, WAC, MWC, plus BYU, Notre Dame, Army. 7 automatic bids and 5 at-large with at least 1 going to an independent. Then I'd go to the B-10, SEC B12 and PAC 12 and say, "You can play in the NCAA Championship too, but you need to agree now. Otherwise, you don't get an autobid for 5 years." My guess is within 2 years there is a merger...perfect world, the NCAA Champ finishes undefeated and the Big 4 Champ is 13-1, 12-2 and the NCAA Champ is hailed by most as National Champ...worst case you have a split. I suspect it wouldn't take long for the NCAA Champ to be recognized on an equal footing in any case.

F

fortebleedsblue

Forget 8 it is not happening no chance in hell. There are two options at this point...

1) lay back and watch while fighting over a large cheese pizza with Marinatto ..

2) accept the fact that the blue bloods want to keep college football exclusive and go along with the 4 team play off but sell the point that spot 1 = big 10/PAC 12 rose bowl champ spot 2 = big 12/ SEC champ .. Spot 3 = ACC/big east champ and spot 4 = at large team.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
here's what I would do...I would band together with the other non-autobid conferences and go to the NCAA and cut a deal to have a 12 team playoff. Conference Champs from the Big East, ACC, CUSA, Sunbelt, MAC, WAC, MWC, plus BYU, Notre Dame, Army. 7 automatic bids and 5 at-large with at least 1 going to an independent. Then I'd go to the B-10, SEC B12 and PAC 12 and say, "You can play in the NCAA Championship too, but you need to agree now. Otherwise, you don't get an autobid for 5 years." My guess is within 2 years there is a merger...perfect world, the NCAA Champ finishes undefeated and the Big 4 Champ is 13-1, 12-2 and the NCAA Champ is hailed by most as National Champ...worst case you have a split. I suspect it wouldn't take long for the NCAA Champ to be recognized on an equal footing in any case.
Why wouldn't the Big 4 laugh in our faces at that point, raking in real championships and real money? Versus the NIT playoff you just proposed? The Big 4 would actually love your proposal. It's the ultimate lockout for the rest of the country. Nobody mistakes the NIT champion for the real NCAA champion...

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Forget 8 it is not happening no chance in hell. There are two options at this point...

1) lay back and watch while fighting over a large cheese pizza with Marinatto ..

2) accept the fact that the blue bloods want to keep college football exclusive and go along with the 4 team play off but sell the point that spot 1 = big 10/PAC 12 rose bowl champ spot 2 = big 12/ SEC champ .. Spot 3 = ACC/big east champ and spot 4 = at large team.

Plausible.

This setup can buy time for the CFB world to come around to accepting an 8-team playoff - which would happen about, oh, fifteen minutes after the 4-team contract expires...

Reaction Score
Plausible.

This setup can buy time for the CFB world to come around to accepting an 8-team playoff - which would happen about, oh, fifteen minutes after the 4-team contract expires...

The college football "world" doesn't need to accept an 8-team playoff, and there's no genius in this piece by suggesting one. Almost everyone realizes it makes the most sense for the most teams and fans. It's the decision-makers that have to be pressured to accept the largest slice of the pie rather than the whole pie. They are the problem. Oh yeah, and then there's ND.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

Strictly speaking, this is a 7 team playoff with a bye for the Ind. ND would love this. The big 4 duking it out for two spots in the semi's...not so much. But, I get where your headed with this. 8 will eventually be the number with the first round eventually replacing (OK, following) Championship Week at home stadiums.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Why wouldn't the Big 4 laugh in our faces at that point, raking in real championships and real money? Versus the NIT playoff you just proposed? The Big 4 would actually love your proposal. It's the ultimate lockout for the rest of the country. Nobody mistakes the NIT champion for the real NCAA champion...
I'm not so sure it would be a lock out...and all you need is a year where the #4 team at 9-3 pulls an upset in the Big 4 tourney and the NCAA winner goes unbeaten or 11-1 and you suddenly have a "real" champ with legit credential (and a real superior record) and a pretender...and a call for the NCAA Champ to play the Big 4 Champ to decide the true Champion...nobody is going to stand for 2 champs for long, and my guess is that the Big 4 feel the need to show they are the real powers by joining the Tournament. Regardless o fwhat you think of them for other things, the NCAA: a) knows how to run tournaments; b) has the media savy and the money to make their deal seem the real deal, or at least more than the NIT as you call it; and c) has the legitimacy to make its tournament seem legitimate. In fact, if it were proposed, I would bet that the Big 4 would blink.

Reaction Score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer