What just happened? BY seems shellshocked. | The Boneyard

What just happened? BY seems shellshocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Didn't watch game and couldn't get a signal for the WTIC streaming.

Reaction Score
Did. Still don't get what is up. Were the refs just not calling fouls on Louisville? How blatant was it?
Prior to the last minute 22 shots to 6 LV- what was worse was our game is constant cutting in the lane. LV grabbed on every possession
and took us out of our game.Yes, our ladies after a while lost their composure, who wouldn't. Dee Cantor should not do another UC game

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
It was a physical, ugly game. The UConn women gutted it out and won. I thought a lot of fouls weren't called on Louisville. I thought Dolson, in particular, was fouled almost constantly. But I suppose if I were a Louisville fan I might have seen it differently and thought Louisville simply played an aggressive game. To me, the key point is you have to win games like this if you expect to challenge for the national championship, and the Huskies did just that.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
"shellshocked" is apropos since we just watched a war take place.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Did. Still don't get what is up. Were the refs just not calling fouls on Louisville? How blatant was it?
Even the sportscasters were disgusted with the maul ball.

Reaction Score
Prior to the last minute 22 shots to 6 LV- what was worse was our game is constant cutting in the lane. LV grabbed on every possession
and took us out of our game.Yes, our ladies after a while lost their composure, who wouldn't. Dee Cantor should not do another UC game
Thanks for this clarification. I wondered, too.

I wonder what Geno will have to say.

Reaction Score
The refs definitely made their presence felt at the game, UCONN grinded this game out

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
How can this be stopped? Should we write to someone? I just read the thread and it made me sick. This is the old Rutgers squared. It's not bball anymore...some kind of ridiculous new sport...

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
How can this be stopped? Should we write to someone? I just read the thread and it made me sick. This is the old Rutgers squared. It's not bball anymore...some kind of ridiculous new sport...
Just wait - you'll see it again on Saturday when the Huskies play Georgetown.

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
Just wait - you'll see it again on Saturday when the HuHuskies play Georgetown.

Probably worse - Georgetown has more experience playing that way

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Yep. "If you can't beat 'em, beat 'em up" has become the rule of thumb for too many Big East teams.

Reaction Score
It really can't be stopped, because the refs at every level long since made this policy decision: "When a team aggressively fouls repeatedly on every possession, we will not call them. In fact, we are more likely to call fouls on the team being beaten to a pulp. We make a universal policy decision in favor of cheating when it is cheating by use of physical force." And thus you end up with things like the utterly unwatchable "basketball" of the NBA in the Pistons era of dominance. Until refs actually call all the fouls the rulebook would seem to require them to call, this system is unstoppable, and Bill Laimbeer is the greatest player that ever lived.

Reaction Score

Two ways:

1) Have the team keep their head and play bball, which the team mostly did tonight

2) take acting lessons to be able to realistically exaggerate the effect of the holding, shoving, slapping, banging. This to be used in nationally televised games - the refs don't want a tv audience or tv announcers commenting on the hooligans on the court - will find themselves refereeing eighth grade summer camps.

Reaction Score
For some reason Dolson doesn't like elbows poking her nose. She treated Vails' arm the way I treat a turkey leg when I'm carving on Thanksgiving.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Other than the fouling there were other problems
1. One of Waltzes strategies was to simply not guard Kelly and it worked. Made it much tougher for the other four
2. Bria had both early foul trouble and her shot was off in the first half. She made two daggers with the game on the line.
3. KLM stated fine but missed a couple she might have made later.
4. I'm afraid we are going to see many variations of the Waltz "defense" for the rest of the season. The opposition
has decided we're a finesse team and will treat us accordingly.

Reaction Score
Worst officiating in years. Geno called them out in the halftime interview.

Reaction Score
Even the sportscasters were disgusted with the maul ball.
Only they were LV homers and thought UConn was fouling too much. They mentioned the foul discrepancy as proof.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Only they were LV homers and thought UConn was fouling too much. They mentioned the foul discrepancy as proof.
Disagree. Deb Antonelli said, "This isn't how our sport is supposed to be played" in regards to the overly physical play.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Other than the fouling there were other problems
1. One of Waltzes strategies was to simply not guard Kelly and it worked. Made it much tougher for the other four
2. Bria had both early foul trouble and her shot was off in the first half. She made two daggers with the game on the line.
3. KLM stated fine but missed a couple she might have made later.
4. I'm afraid we are going to see many variations of the Waltz "defense" for the rest of the season. The opposition
has decided we're a finesse team and will treat us accordingly.

We see it all the time. The officials just let it go further last night. ND, Louisville, Rutgers, Cuse, Georgetown, all have and will continue to use this tactic against UConn.

I hope that Geno complains and sends a copy of the game to the league offices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom