What just happened? BY seems shellshocked.

Discussion in 'UConn Women's Basketball' started by schmendrick, Feb 7, 2012.

1. schmendrick

schmendrick Popular Poster

Didn't watch game and couldn't get a signal for the WTIC streaming.
  2. pap49cba

pap49cba The Supreme Linkster

Read the game thread.
    DaddyChoc likes this.
  3. grizz36

grizz36 Misabe Mukwa

Not many style points tonight. They gutted this one out.
  4. schmendrick

Did. Still don't get what is up. Were the refs just not calling fouls on Louisville? How blatant was it?
  5. Icebear

Icebear Andlig Ledare

Brutally.
  6. phil sampieri

phil sampieri Popular Poster

Prior to the last minute 22 shots to 6 LV- what was worse was our game is constant cutting in the lane. LV grabbed on every possession
    and took us out of our game.Yes, our ladies after a while lost their composure, who wouldn't. Dee Cantor should not do another UC game
  7. rbny1

rbny1 Gotham Husky Fanatic

It was a physical, ugly game. The UConn women gutted it out and won. I thought a lot of fouls weren't called on Louisville. I thought Dolson, in particular, was fouled almost constantly. But I suppose if I were a Louisville fan I might have seen it differently and thought Louisville simply played an aggressive game. To me, the key point is you have to win games like this if you expect to challenge for the national championship, and the Huskies did just that.
    DaddyChoc likes this.
  8. Blueballer

Blueballer Popular Poster

"shellshocked" is apropos since we just watched a war take place.
  9. HuskyNan

HuskyNan Administrator

Even the sportscasters were disgusted with the maul ball.
  10. Samanthabrown3

Samanthabrown3 Popular Poster

Thanks for this clarification. I wondered, too.

I wonder what Geno will have to say.
  11. MarieM

MarieM Popular Poster

The refs definitely made their presence felt at the game, UCONN grinded this game out
  12. semper

semper Paleographer

How can this be stopped? Should we write to someone? I just read the thread and it made me sick. This is the old Rutgers squared. It's not bball anymore...some kind of ridiculous new sport...
    Samanthabrown3 likes this.
  13. HuskyNan

HuskyNan Administrator

Just wait - you'll see it again on Saturday when the Huskies play Georgetown.
    AboutWeston likes this.
  14. schmendrick

Weird. Jeff Walz was once a rising star. What happened?
  15. CCinCT

CCinCT Poster

Probably worse - Georgetown has more experience playing that way
  16. pinotbear

pinotbear Silly Ol' Bear

Yep. "If you can't beat 'em, beat 'em up" has become the rule of thumb for too many Big East teams.
  17. Replicant

Replicant Nexus 6 Leader

We got to know him. :cool:
  18. rocky rococo

rocky rococo Popular Poster

It really can't be stopped, because the refs at every level long since made this policy decision: "When a team aggressively fouls repeatedly on every possession, we will not call them. In fact, we are more likely to call fouls on the team being beaten to a pulp. We make a universal policy decision in favor of cheating when it is cheating by use of physical force." And thus you end up with things like the utterly unwatchable "basketball" of the NBA in the Pistons era of dominance. Until refs actually call all the fouls the rulebook would seem to require them to call, this system is unstoppable, and Bill Laimbeer is the greatest player that ever lived.
  19. MarlboroughMike

MarlboroughMike Popular Poster

Two ways:

1) Have the team keep their head and play bball, which the team mostly did tonight

2) take acting lessons to be able to realistically exaggerate the effect of the holding, shoving, slapping, banging. This to be used in nationally televised games - the refs don't want a tv audience or tv announcers commenting on the hooligans on the court - will find themselves refereeing eighth grade summer camps.
  20. Bestiarius

Bestiarius Popular Poster

For some reason Dolson doesn't like elbows poking her nose. She treated Vails' arm the way I treat a turkey leg when I'm carving on Thanksgiving.
  21. msf22b

msf22b Maestro

Other than the fouling there were other problems
    1. One of Waltzes strategies was to simply not guard Kelly and it worked. Made it much tougher for the other four
    2. Bria had both early foul trouble and her shot was off in the first half. She made two daggers with the game on the line.
    3. KLM stated fine but missed a couple she might have made later.
    4. I'm afraid we are going to see many variations of the Waltz "defense" for the rest of the season. The opposition
    has decided we're a finesse team and will treat us accordingly.
  22. uconnfan68

uconnfan68 Popular Poster

Worst officiating in years. Geno called them out in the halftime interview.
  23. uconnfan68

uconnfan68 Popular Poster

Only they were LV homers and thought UConn was fouling too much. They mentioned the foul discrepancy as proof.
  24. HuskyNan

HuskyNan Administrator

Disagree. Deb Antonelli said, "This isn't how our sport is supposed to be played" in regards to the overly physical play.
    Icebear likes this.
  25. Icebear

Icebear Andlig Ledare

We see it all the time. The officials just let it go further last night. ND, Louisville, Rutgers, Cuse, Georgetown, all have and will continue to use this tactic against UConn.

I hope that Geno complains and sends a copy of the game to the league offices.
  26. Tonyc

Tonyc Optimus Prime

Why is everybody shocked? At Baylor we didnt go to the line til the end of the game, at ND the calls werent called and here at Lville the fouls were one sided again. Not bad for a team that dosnt foul. UConn is going to need to keep their poise and be patient and really slow things down when things like this happen and maintain control and then what needs to happen is one of our bigs needs to foul and opponet and knock her on her butt hard and send a message. Fear and intimidation works wonders. I dont like it one bit but if theyre not calling it then we need to learn to play that way
  27. RadyLady

RadyLady Musician and UConn Basketball fan

A win is a win at this point but a certain times during the second half, the game didn't resemble a basketball game. It looked like more of a boxing match. The refereeing was definitely terrible and they were the ones who allowed the play to get the way it did. They were lucky no one got seriously hurt.
    Give credit to the Huskies though for stepping and battling it out.

From http://soxanddawgs.com/huskies/articles/uconn-huskies-louisville-cardinals-2-7-12-recap.html in Nan's Uconn in the news list. Says it all I think.
  28. vtcwbuff

vtcwbuff Civil War Buff

Jeff Walz is still a rising star. His teams have been hampered by injury. I think his "hack a husky" game plan was the only way he felt he could compete.
  29. pap49cba

pap49cba The Supreme Linkster

That doesn't make it right. Uconn in the past has suffered numerous season ending injuries to key players but Geno & CD didn't respond by turning the team into a bunch of hackers, pushers and holders. A coach can control the way his team plays. I lost a lot of respect for Walz last night.
  30. HGN

HGN Popular Poster

Not even close, HuskyNan..U. of Louisville are amateurs at physical play ( mugging ) compared to Georgetown. Hopefully the ref's will have the guts to make the obvious calls. Most times ( such as in the most recent ND game ) the ref's would swallow their whistle at obvious fouls committed by ND , Diggins in particular. As long as the fouls are called on both ends of the court , UConn should prevail.