What it takes to Win and keep on Winning | The Boneyard

What it takes to Win and keep on Winning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
To win at anything in life it takes a Total Commitment. You must be willing to pay a huge price....in advance and there are no guarantees. You must give up the way it is and be willing to change and then you must do it and do it and do it and do it and do it until it becomes reflexive. Once you do that you must become contagious so that everyone catches what you've got and that transfers to everybody else on the team and to everyone who comes after you. That is called building a tradition. Winning is a habit unfortunately so is loosing. Winners find a way to win and losers find a way to lose. A good attitude is everything and a bad attitude can kill everything you've worked for. Repetition is the mother of skill but only if you are practicing the correct way. Practicing the wrong thing over and over again is a recipe for insanity. Doing the same thing over and over again and thinking things will change is insane.

You've got to change. If you want to get better at anything in life you need to change. The world is not going to change you've got to. I once played golf with a guy and we played together every weekend. It never changed when we got to the 17th hole he always hit the ball in the woods. Always. He said dam everytime I get to this hole I hit the ball in the woods. I looked at him and said well you can ask them to redesign the hole to the left and you'll be in the middle of the fairway every time or you can change your alignment until you hit the ball in the fairway. You see doing the same thing over and over again and thinking things will change is insane. You will always get the same results. To become great at anything takes alot of work. How much work? I dont know but I do know it takes time and with the right coaching and hard work you can reach your goals. The only way you lose is to give up...to quit. As long as you remain focused and continue to work hard towards your goals you will be blessed with your Dream. The problem is most people quit. Most people wont do what it takes to win. Most people get tired. Most people would rather suffer with the way it is then change.

I was hitting golf balls on the range this past summer and I noticed some people watching me. I used to be a pretty good golfer when I was younger. One gentleman said to me boy you hit the ball really good. I thanked him. He said I wish I could hit a ball like you. I said you can. He said really. I said yes you can but you must make a total commitment. He said I will do anything. I said ok do you see that big green bucket over there. Start by hitting those balls. He said all of them. I said yes to start with. Then when you get sick and tired of being sick and tired then you get someone to teach you the right way to hit a golf ball. Then you need to practice what he told you over and over and over again and when you think you got it down just keep practicing by hitting balls and playing. He asked for how long . I said forever. He asked how many balls do I need to hit I said hit two of the big green buckets every day. He said I cant do that. I said then you dont want it like I do. This is what a total commitment starts with. See many years ago when I wanted to be a good golfer the pro I worked for told me this. He said you need to hit 300-500 balls a day in rain sleet snow and in the heat. Everyday no days off. You must give up everything and make a total commitment. You must maintain a positive enthusiastic attitude and never give up. If your having problems come and see me and I will help you .

This is where I think our UConn Womens Basketball Team is. Geno continues to teach train and develop his players, mentally physically and in game situations. Not only in Basketball but in life. Its a process of building personal growth. Practices are hard and relentless. Thats what it takes to win. He weeds out the problems when he recruits thats why he doesnt take everybody and thats why everybody isnt UConn material. For those few who are willing to pay the price to do it his way ... well a National Championship awaits them. Hey not everybody can do it. Not everybody will change. Geno knows that and thats why there are great players on other teams who will never win a NC. Thats why most other teams dont really have a chance when they face UConn. Ive said this before when your dealing with a T.E.A.M. Together Everyone Achieves More. That means everything Ive written in the paragraphs above applies to every body on the team, associated with the team and that means the managers, doctors, assistants, office support everybody. They all have to be on the same page or their not UConn material. Now understanding what Ive just written is tuff to do for one person let along a complete team and thats why UConn is special and has so many undefeated seasons and so many NC's. This is why UConn is at the top and when your at the top of the polls and everybody else is below you looking up at you the view doesnt change. Now for 91 in a row and beyond.

Reaction Score
Great post Tony! I couldn't agree with you more based on my experience. UConn's continued excellence is one of the main reasons I watch faithfully on TV.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Wonderful piece Tony:
Just want to add, that it seems like there is a special, even unique affinity
between this group of young woman and the boss.
Perhaps they're not quite as physically gifted as some that have proceeded them.
But the sense of teamwork, camaraderie, work ethic, inner peace and selflessness...
Seems unusual even for A UConn bunch.
Perhaps the most special of Geno and CD's creations.
and only 2 and a half months or so to enjoy them.

Reaction Score
Wonderful piece Tony:
Just want to add, that it seems like there is a special, even unique affinity
between this group of young woman and the boss.
Perhaps they're not quite as physically gifted as some that have proceeded them.
But the sense of teamwork, camaraderie, work ethic, inner peace and selflessness...
Seems unusual even for A UConn bunch.
Perhaps the most special of Geno and CD's creations.
and only 2 and a half months or so to enjoy them.

And how lucky are we that of this year's starters, we're only going to lose one!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Perhaps they're not quite as physically gifted as some that have proceeded them

As a group they are pretty darn gifted. Geno has Gabby as the most gifted with athletic ability ever, hands down. Pheesa wow. Katie Lou is up there and one tough nut (don't let the smile fool you, predators grin too) and Kia is tough as nails. Saniya, when not ouchy, is super fast and sinewy. Sure, you can't teach height, but this group has plenty of what NCAA champions are made of.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Cool video accompanies this article.

They edited this from when it was first posted - new stuff, including the 'lie' that this doesn't change his life one bit, that he demonstrates right at the end - he cannot wait to see Maya again and use the line he attributes to them using: 'Really, Maya, 90 wins was all you could accomplish in four years! I took a bunch of scrubs and got them to pass that mark in a couple of months!'
He is dying to be able to say that, just as I am sure he ragged on Diana and Sue about their miserable little 70 game streak!:cool:

Reaction Score
Tonyc, your post reminded me of this:

In Malcolm Gladwell's book, Outliers, there is a chapter entitled "The 10,000 hour rule." In it he gives several case studies of successful/excellent achievers from different fields of endeavor--e.g., the Beatles, Bill Gates, et al. In all cases, their achievements, which appear somewhat effortless to the rest of us, are the result of massive amounts of practice, repetition, over long periods of time. Hence the "10,000 hours rule." The number comes from from the elite performers themselves, who gave Gladwell their honest estimates of how much previous work they did to get to their high level of excellence. For such performances, there has to be a fundamental talent, but that is not enough. It takes 10,000 hours. I dont know how many hours UConn players put in at practice, but it has to be a huge amount, beginning in high school, through USA/etc. and then at Storrs, where it becomes really intense. I dont know how to do the relevant math, and maybe they are not at 10,000 yet--the best of them are not even at their peaks yet!--but they have done and continue to do the necessary work. ( "...we practice it until we cant get it wrong." )

The picture of the hard work the team puts in that Coach Auriemma painted in the slick video about the 90 game win streak is not fiction. The admiration we all have for him and the team is well- and hard-earned.

Reaction Score
Fred Astaire was asked "How does everything you do look so easy?" He answered, " I work damn hard to make it look easy!"

Joe DiMaggio was asked "Why do you go 100% on every play?" He answered, "Some fan will see Joe DiMaggio play for the first time and I don't want them to leave with the wrong impression!"

Don Mattingly told rookie, Derek Jeter, "Don't ever walk on a ball field, because someone is always watching you and you don't want that person to think you're lazy!"

The true measure of an athlete is what they do when no one is watching!

THE CHASE- from Vince Lombardi: "Perfection is unattainable, but if you chase perfection, you'll catch exceptional!"

"It's not the 40 minutes, it's what you do in those 40 minutes!"

The above is Wisdom that makes me think of UCONN WBB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom