What is Will Myers worth? | The Boneyard

What is Will Myers worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The word is Myers is being dangled by KC for an elite pitcher. Lester, Shields and Dickey have all been mentioned.

Here is some info an Myers...
Myers, 22, popped a total of 37 home runs with 109 RBIs and a .314 average this year combined in Triple-A and Double-A. He was named the Minor League Player of the Year by USA Today, Baseball America and Topps. He's ranked No. 3 in the nation in MLB.com's Top 100 Prospects.

I don't see how the Sox can move the 28 year old Lester. He is the only innings eater on the team right now and the rotation without him would be among the worst in the AL.

RA Dickey makes no sense for KC due to his advanced age of 38. Would the Mets be forced to sweeten the pot?

Tampa can move Shields or Hellickson for Myers and still have a strong rotation. Adding a 22 year old potential #3 stick is to good to pass up. I think the ball is in Tampas court.

Reaction Score
Any team that can afford to trade a starting pitcher is in great shape to pick up a very good position player. Tampa Bay isn't winning anything if they don't add offense so I would think that they are in a solid position to pick up Meyers if they want him. There may be other proven hitters available who are currently under contract. Very few teams are in as good a position because few can afford to give up an in the rotation starter.

Reaction Score
Jim Bowden mentioned Matt Barnes and some other prospects as a possibility for a Red Sox trade for Meyers. What I don't understand is why the Red Sox are not trying to get a quality pitcher to go with these position players!

Reaction Score
Jim Bowden mentioned Matt Barnes and some other prospects as a possibility for a Red Sox trade for Meyers. What I don't understand is why the Red Sox are not trying to get a quality pitcher to go with these position players!

Because the GM is clueless.

Reaction Score
Tampa gets there man and then some.

If I were the Rays I would have tried to get Stanton from Miami instead. He is pi$$ed at the team and is 22 also.

Reaction Score
This should ensure another fifth place finish for the Sox. Ben really doesn't have a clue.

The pickup of Yunel Escobar has flown under the radar but may be the Rays best move of the off season. SS has been a hole for a couple of years and Escobar is solid all around player in the Maddon mold.

Reaction Score
The pickup of Yunel Escobar has flown under the radar but may be the Rays best move of the off season. SS has been a hole for a couple of years and Escobar is solid all around player in the Maddon mold.

This is exactly like your Molina post from last year. Escobar blows, he really sucks.

Reaction Score
This is exactly like your Molina post from last year. Escobar blows, he really sucks.

I beg to differ. .282 .353 .390 lifetime for an above avg glove at SS. His 2009 and 2011 seasons were great with over 4.0 WAR in each.

Reaction Score
I beg to differ. .282 .353 .390 lifetime for an above avg glove at SS. His 2009 and 2011 seasons were great with over 4.0 WAR in each.

Carlos Pena is a top player too, right?

Reaction Score
Here is some info an Myers...
Myers, 22, popped a total of 37 home runs with 109 RBIs and a .314 average this year combined in Triple-A and Double-A. He was named the Minor League Player of the Year by USA Today, Baseball America and Topps. He's ranked No. 3 in the nation in MLB.com's Top 100 Prospects.

I think the ball is in Tampas court.

Very good trade by Tampa!

Reaction Score

Molina was the main catcher for the team with the best pitching numbers in the AL over the last 10-12 years. His signing was a success for Tampa. I never claimed he would hit and he didn't, but he calls a great game, builds up our young pitchers and frames pitches better then anyone in the game. Just read what Maddon, Hickey, Price and Shields think of Molina.

Your Yanks will miss the catcher they let go. The avg fan is blinded by a bad BA but his handling of the Yankee staff was outstanding. I think its naive to assume acouple journey men and a rookie will come near replacing what Martin brought to the table.

Reaction Score
Don't forget Sam Fuld or Scott Kazmir.

Dude let the Kaz go. For 4 years he was one of the top 6-8 pitchers in the AL. He pitched the Rays into the World Series. The Mets got fleeced giving him up, I can understand the bitterness. I was never a huge Kaz guy and was happy when Tampa moved his shot arm. His small stature just couldn't hold up. The Kaz man had a great run but sometimes they fizzle out. The good news for the Mets is that he is building up arm strength and would be the perfect replacement for Dickey who the Mets don't seem to have the bread to lock up.

Reaction Score
Carlos Pena is a top player too, right?

Why pull out Pena? Boston waived Los the Rays picked him up and he put up MVP numbers in 2007. He played great for a couple years and alwys played gold glove level defense. He lost it last year at 34 and that happens...you should know being an ARod guy and all.

Reaction Score
Molina was the main catcher for the team with the best pitching numbers in the AL over the last 10-12 years. His signing was a success for Tampa. I never claimed he would hit and he didn't, but he calls a great game, builds up our young pitchers and frames pitches better then anyone in the game. Just read what Maddon, Hickey, Price and Shields think of Molina.

Your Yanks will miss the catcher they let go. The avg fan is blinded by a bad BA but his handling of the Yankee staff was outstanding. I think its naive to assume acouple journey men and a rookie will come near replacing what Martin brought to the table.

Romine is as good defensively as Martin. He \doesn't have the experience of calling a game that Martin does, but on the other hand with veteran pitchers like Sabathia, Pettite, and Kuroda, they basically already know what they want to throw. The only knock on the kid is his bat, which you're saying doesn't matter.

The multi-year thing is a big deal for NY. They would have signed Martin in a heartbeat to a one-year deal. With the current system, if they don't get below the luxury tax threshold in 2014, they'll pay 50%. If they get under that one year alone, the tax % drops to 17% in 2015. They'll be able to spend again, and within a few years some of their contracts come off the books at the same time as Felix, Verlander and others are due to hit the free agent market.

Reaction Score
Romine is as good defensively as Martin. He \doesn't have the experience of calling a game that Martin does, but on the other hand with veteran pitchers like Sabathia, Pettite, and Kuroda, they basically already know what they want to throw. The only knock on the kid is his bat, which you're saying doesn't matter.

The multi-year thing is a big deal for NY. They would have signed Martin in a heartbeat to a one-year deal. With the current system, if they don't get below the luxury tax threshold in 2014, they'll pay 50%. If they get under that one year alone, the tax % drops to 17% in 2015. They'll be able to spend again, and within a few years some of their contracts come off the books at the same time as Felix, Verlander and others are due to hit the free agent market.

I'm not buying that Romine will be anywhere as good as Martin. http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=16096
I'm sensing that the Yanks are in big trouble next year. I see a terrible defensive team with key injuries, a weaker pen without Soriano, an aging rotation with a couple of not ready for prime time young pitchers in Nova and Hughes and injuries to the AAA pitchers who were suppose to be here this year. Even with two wild cards the Yanks and Sox for the first time in years will both miss the playoffs.

catcher
Runs prevented
PAs
Jose Molina
A.J. Pierzynski
Russell Martin
Miguel Olivo
Jason Varitek
Kurt Suzuki
Joe Mauer
Carlos Santana
Eli Whiteside
Brian McCann

Reaction Score
I'm not buying that Romine will be anywhere as good as Martin. http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=16096
I'm sensing that the Yanks are in big trouble next year. I see a terrible defensive team with key injuries, a weaker pen without Soriano, an aging rotation with a couple of not ready for prime time young pitchers in Nova and Hughes and injuries to the AAA pitchers who were suppose to be here this year. Even with two wild cards the Yanks and Sox for the first time in years will both miss the playoffs.

Besides Jeter, where is this terrible defense? Cano, Tex, Ichiro are multiple GG. Gardner is rated as one of the best defensive OF (if not the best his last full season) in baseball. Where is this horrible defense?

Reaction Score

I don't think NY is going to be in "big trouble" but I do think the team is uncharacteristically putting budget first for next two years. (Would have loved to see Hamilton hitting in the Stadium). As I mentioned above, getting under the luxury tax threshold (according to Sherman from the NY Post) will save the team $50 million in 2014 alone. That's about the entire payroll of some teams. And that "resets the clock" back to much smaller %'s in future years for more savings that I have no doubt will be put back into the team.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The odds of Myers being a bust are pretty low. Something like 86% of prospects who have been ranked top 5 have at least some success. Rays can bring up another arm. Royals need to count on Shields to be Shields (200+ innings) for another two years - and he's already done it for six straight. If Davis can be an effective #3, then KC's end of the deal looks considerably better.

Meantime, the Reds just won the NL Central again, solving their leadoff issue while bolstering OF defense with the same guy: Choo. And they gave up very little to do so. Had the Bucs acquired Choo - and they've got the same leadoff/defense issue in RF - they'd be close to equal footing with Reds & Cards and would've finally had a winning season. Martin better be able to raise his average 40 points or so for Bucs to stay competitive. Odds are they do something really stupid now, like Hanrahan for Delmon Young.

Reaction Score
Besides Jeter, where is this terrible defense? Cano, Tex, Ichiro are multiple GG. Gardner is rated as one of the best defensive OF (if not the best his last full season) in baseball. Where is this horrible defense?

If you have Jeter at short, ARod or Youk at third, a journeyman at catcher and the average Granderson in CF thats means who are getting no plus D for any premium defensive postion but second.

Reaction Score
Granderson is not going to play center, Gardner will, which is a significant upgrade. Jeter has lost range but in no way is he a liability at short. With Romine or Stewart, the Yankees will be okay up the middle. With Cervelli, not so much (I like Cervelli, but he has a bad habit of trying to play catch with the centerfielder!)

Reaction Score
Granderson is not going to play center, Gardner will, which is a significant upgrade. Jeter has lost range but in no way is he a liability at short. With Romine or Stewart, the Yankees will be okay up the middle. With Cervelli, not so much (I like Cervelli, but he has a bad habit of trying to play catch with the centerfielder!)
Jeter absolutely is a liability at short. The guy can make plays on the balls hit right at him or the slow balls in that he has to run in and make the quick flip. But his range his horrific. And that was before he broke his ankle.

Reaction Score
Jeter is horrible.
Youkilis/A-Rod will be horrible
question mark at catcher and wherever Grandrson ends up. while Martin was very good. Everyone talks about how great Romine is but for much of his career in the minors he's hovered around throwing out 23-25% of baserunners. That isn't great. I guess the minor league pitchers must like throwing to him.

Very good to great defenders should be Tex, Cano, Gardner and probably still Ichiro, esp if he's tucked into that small RF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom