What is up with Chong? | The Boneyard

What is up with Chong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
And Napheesa only played 4 minutes. Kia Nurse played 39 minutes without scoring much.

It's a big game, and (if you're Geno) you put your trust in those who have fully earned it. Gabby got the same treatment last year, but not this year. I'm sure Napheesa will get major minutes in next year's game (going out on a limb with that prediction -- not really). If Saniya remains unpredictable as to her contribution, it's not so clear that she will get larger minutes next year, even if it is her senior year. On the other hand, if (like Kiah Stokes) she shows in the next year that she can make a consistent and predictable contribution, she will get plenty of minutes in big games.

Lou has demonstrated a level of consistency that earned her 22 minutes tonight, and she earned it. To all of you who say she should do other things that jack up threes, she did exactly that tonight. She guarded Tina Roy, who was a total non-factor in the game. It's true that Lou's own offensive contribution was no larger, but UConn (unlike SC) does not need a big contribution from their 4th starter. At least they didn't on this occasion.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I don't think she played today. Anyone know why?

Haven't heard why yet. But as I pointed out in the game thread....... maybe Chong's knee was acting up again. OR they didn't like the matchups. It's often about matchups. And it's also about fouls. If you see more fouls on Mo then Chong plays obviously (IF she is healthy).

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I don't think she played today. Anyone know why?
I was disappointed that Chong did not play. However, barring injuries, at this point in the season( in BIG GAMES) Geno has usually decided who he is going with. I believe that in the Final Four, you will see just the players who you saw tonight.

Reaction Score
I think it's easy to forget just how conservative Geno likes to be with his lineups in big games. Only six players got significant minutes tonight. I doubt there was anything specifically wrong with Chong...Geno just wasn't feeling going down to position 8 on his bench, when even the position 7 player got only a handful of minutes.

Reaction Score
He mentioned Chong in the post game presser. To paraphrase, every time he thought about putting her in the game, he couldn't find someone he wanted off the court. Let's face it, Nurse and Samuelson played great defense all night; Chong was not a good matchup against any of the SC guards.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
KLS was good on defense today and atleast 2 of her fouls were BS calls by the blind refs....

I think she also had a block that she didn't get credit for during the game.

I was looking for Chong as well but I felt Nurse/Jefferson/Samuelson did a nice job defensively on the perimeter and if it "aint broke"

Reaction Score
KLS was good on defense today and atleast 2 of her fouls were BS calls by the blind refs....
I frequently see the refs in high caliber women's game blow many calls. I don't think the refs are ready for these types of games. They get used to having so many lower caliber, slower moving games, that when two high quality, quick teams meet the refs just are up to it.

Reaction Score
I thought Natalie Butler would be used against SC. I guess Geno had other thoughts. He used
his first seven players. Chong has been playing pretty good of late and I was surprised she didn't
see any action. She may be the point guard next yr as Dangerfield my need some time to adjust
to the college game just like Mo did.

I think this was a great night for WBB. Anytime you get 18,000 fans to a game its a big deal.
Now that this game is behind us, we have some things to work on for the Big Dance. I thought
the recent work on our defense showed up tonight. The Huskies played great team defense.

I thought Gabby was very active on D and put lots of pressure on their offense. She also came
away with 10 boards. It was a very good team win.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I thought Natalie Butler would be used against SC. I guess Geno had other thoughts. He used
his first seven players. Chong has been playing pretty good of late and I was surprised she didn't
see any action. She may be the point guard next yr as Dangerfield my need some time to adjust

I think this was a great night for WBB. Anytime you get 18,000 fans to a game its a big deal.
Now that this game is behind us, we have some things to work on for the Big Dance. I thought
the recent work on our defense showed up tonight. The Huskies played great team defense.

I thought Gabby was very active on D and put lots of pressure on their offense. She also came
Did you see the East Carolina game?
No way Butler was going to get into this game unless UConn was up by 30 with two minutes left.

Reaction Score

Natalie isn't ready for the big time yet.

HGN

Reaction Score

Mojack, IMHO I thought Geno played it about right........Stuck with 7 of the top 9 players..........Maybe he could have thrown Chong out there. But chose not to under such conditions. (Hopefully her IT band was not acting up). And I thought he would have given Collier a few more minutes but did not. But all-in-all , you can't argue with the outcome. We won by 12 in their backyard and it easily could have been by more.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
He mentioned Chong in the post game presser. To paraphrase, every time he thought about putting her in the game, he couldn't find someone he wanted off the court. Let's face it, Nurse and Samuelson played great defense all night; Chong was not a good matchup against any of the SC guards.
Is that post game presser posted anywhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom