What is UC Hiding About The Big 12 Conference? | The Boneyard

What is UC Hiding About The Big 12 Conference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/2016/02/03/what-uc-hiding-big-12-conference/79713442/

"The University of Cincinnati is refusing to release emails, travel records and other public documents regarding the possibility of it gaining membership in the Big 12 Conference, which may consider expansion later this week.

The Enquirer asked for the documents, including UC President Santa Ono's travel records, in a Nov. 17 public records request. Two UC attorneys recently completed their review of the documents, usually a final step before public records are released."

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Paging Jeff Jacobs, this is how you research stories about realignment. Ono may have a lot of trips to B12 land that aren't connected to any official school business. It's a good thing his twitter account is free.

Reaction Score
"It's possible UC officials are trying to be careful not to risk messing up a potential opportunity to move into a major conference, which could generate millions of dollars for the university, raise UC's national profile and move it to the right side of a growing divide between the haves and have-nots in college sports."

So the media in Cincy is fine taking the risk of messing up a potential opportunity? I find this to be stupid move on their part. I hope that the CT media won't be this stupid.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Egads, no.

We don't want any of that splayed out in public - none of the schools involved do.

Jeff - do not do this.

I'm sure a rogue local media would not be viewed as a positive. I'd love to have a Cinci reporter dig up inside info showing UConn is getting a ticket out though. That's a win-win.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Didn't somebody here try to play a FOIA card before and get stonewalled?

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score

The replies to this are kind of hilarious.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Not to stir up a mob, but there is quite a bit of grumbling surrounding UConn and a budget meeting it held in private on June 24. FOI violation. I wonder wonder wonder where UConn could make up a $28M/yr budget gap...hmmmmmmm...P5 TV money maybe????

http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-foi-uconn-budget-0128-20160127-story.html

Reporters were barred from the June 24 executive session — a 90-minute meeting of the trustees' four-member financial affairs committee that UConn officials had described as a "budget presentation."

After the private meeting, which had been attended by 14 trustees and 19 senior UConn officials, including President Susan Herbst and the university's chief financial officer, the full board of trustees convened in open session and approved UConn's 2015-16 spending plan without public discussion.

In her Jan. 26 decision, commission attorney Lisa Fein Siegel rejected UConn's legal argument that the committee could close its meeting to the public to prevent the disclosure of detailed financial drafts, including numerous "what if" budget scenarios, that had been prepared by school finance officials.

Siegel wrote that UConn "sought to avoid having trustees ask sensitive questions in public, such as questions about eliminating academic programs or certain sports programs, reducing financial aid, or restructuring employee benefits, so that such questions would not 'become something that affects the reputation of the university.' "

"The University believes that the financial affairs committee conducted its meeting appropriately," UConn spokeswoman Stephanie Reitz said. "The ultimate decision on this matter will be made by the full FOI Commission and, if necessary, the courts. ... If we believe the decision is wrong, appealing to court is a very strong possibility."

A UConn official initially defended the closed meeting by contending that the proposed budget is a preliminary draft until it is approved by the board of trustees. State statutes allow, in certain instances, for public agencies to discuss drafts in private.

However, UConn soon acknowledged that the budget proposal had already been publicly released. The university had been warning that its $28.2 million budget gap would lead to cutbacks across the system, including about 50 employee layoffs that came to fruition.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Paging Jeff Jacobs, this is how you research stories about realignment. Ono may have a lot of trips to B12 land that aren't connected to any official school business. It's a good thing his twitter account is free.
JJ has been bogged down by the morass that is Hartford.

Reaction Score
Hookers and blow???? Cincinnati hired Rick Pitino?? Hopefully when we are the B12 together our guys can get invited to Pitino's after hours party

Reaction Score
Hookers and blow???? Cincinnati hired Rick Pitino?? Hopefully when we are the B12 together our guys can get invited to Pitino's after hours party

Nothing close to Miami's in their boats and ho's days...now..those were partiiiiiiiiies.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Nothing close to Miami's in their boats and ho's days...now..those were partiiiiiiiiies.
Still amazes me that they just walked away from that without any NCAA sanction.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Cincinnati has been lobbying hard for years and now all President Ono tweets about are welcoming incoming FR or music/arts students. Something tells me that they're in and they know it. UConn is in the middle of their FOI battle (see my post above) and if Navigate and BHV do their jobs correctly, they should both recommend UConn as the #1 choice for a media partner and connection for a conference network.

Reaction Score
Cincinnati has been lobbying hard for years and now all President Ono tweets about are welcoming incoming FR or music/arts students. Something tells me that they're in and they know it. UConn is in the middle of their FOI battle (see my post above) and if Navigate and BHV do their jobs correctly, they should both recommend UConn as the #1 choice for a media partner and connection for a conference network.
He also could have been told to S T F U and not look so desperate.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
People are giving Jacobs a hard time for not digging up stuff, but I hope anyFOIA'd UConn realignment-related communications stay unpublished until a more appropriate time.

That's the one thing Rutgers (well, more the media) has ever gotten right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom