What is stopping us from being Temple? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

What is stopping us from being Temple?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know I'm beating a dead horse, but to me what's stopping us is a coach who keeps picking inexperienced OCs.

Reaction Score
I made a mistake. Number of Transfers/Preps/JUCOs for UConn is 9.

By the way, if you are not going to accept many Transfers/Preps/JUCOs, it will take longer to turn around a team, especially the OL. Turning around an OL by using high school recruits exclusively, unless you are at a top FBS school that can bring in some freshmen ready OL, would probably take 3 to 4 years as you need to redshirt kids and develop them.

Reaction Score
Its not admissions... seriously do you think that high schools that produce talent aren't hip to the game yet? They are part of the machine and want their wheels greased & recognition.

I have been in classes with a ton of athletes - they load them into the summer/ in between semester courses. All I want to say is that they really have try hard to fail.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yeah right this second. It's also the best they have ever been in years.

It's not like the Kentucky brand is now going to let them build on 6-6 or 7-5.

And in its conference, Kentucky is the worst football brand...maybe tied with Vandy and Miss State for worst.

In the AAC...who has a strong football brand? Houston? Ok. Cinci? ECU? Maybe. Beyond that is there any brand recognition for any of the other schools in any sport? No. It it a huge edge? No. But UConn would be able to extend its brand to football with success, whereas the others are building a brand from scratch. Navy is a known entity, but not for football really.

Reaction Score
Why does the football team have difficulty admitting post grads when the basketball team obviously does not?

Reaction Score
Why does the football team have difficulty admitting post grads when the basketball team obviously does not?

Pretty simple explanation. You need good grades to get into UConn's grad programs and it doesn't look like they make exceptions. If you look at the 3 men's basketball grad transfers, they went to good schools, so they probably would have no problem getting into grad school: Evans (Holy Cross), Miller (Cornell), Gibbs (Texas and Seton Hall).

At many schools, if they want you as a football (basketball) player, you can get into the grad school.

Reaction Score
They don't have a problem. Edsall did it and PP too. I can't recall his name but the one off the top of my head was a 4* that did a PG that came in on D. RE and PP both took PG kids from Milford Academy and Fork Union. Same with transfers (see Sherieffs, Bryant; although not a 1 year only player).

BD came in with a philosophy that he was not going the Juco or 5th yr senior/transfer route to fix holes in the team. They were quick fixes (or so I was told by numerous posters) that he did not want to do. He wanted to build a program based on 4/5 years in the system. Once again, like his offensive woes, this is on BD. It is not on admissions or the inability to bring in PG year kids. It is his choice.

Reaction Score
Pretty simple explanation. You need good grades to get into UConn's grad programs and it doesn't look like they make exceptions. If you look at the 3 men's basketball grad transfers, they went to good schools, so they probably would have no problem getting into grad school: Evans (Holy Cross), Miller (Cornell), Gibbs (Texas and Seton Hall).

At many schools, if they want you as a football (basketball) player, you can get into the grad school.
You make it sound like Uconn is Harvard or Stanford.

5th year transfers received their degree from their prior school. That means all they need is to be accepted into a masters program at Uconn. I don't think Uconn would deny anyone with a legitimate degree in 4 years from any accredited university if BD said he wanted him on the team. Not when it is okay for BB and for every other school in the country to do it.

BD chooses not to go this route. He did not want 1 year fix players. Why try and win when you are building a culture from scratch?

Reaction Score

5th year transfers received their degree from their prior school. That means all they need is to be accepted into a masters program at Uconn. I don't think Uconn would deny anyone with a legitimate degree in 4 years from any accredited university if BD said he wanted him on the team.

The NCAA also requires that a 5th year senior is pursuing a graduate degree not offered at the previous school.

Reaction Score
The NCAA also requires that a 5th year senior is pursuing a graduate degree not offered at the previous school.
That is so easily bypassed. How do the kids from FL get their 5th year at BC by enrolling to get their MBA? UF does not have a MBA program? Or was Tyler Murphy getting his masters in comparative philosophy?

Diaco made a choice not to go after 5th year players. Plain and simple.

Reaction Score

5th year transfers received their degree from their prior school. That means all they need is to be accepted into a masters program at Uconn. I don't think Uconn would deny anyone with a legitimate degree in 4 years from any accredited university if BD said he wanted him on the team. Not when it is okay for BB and for every other school in the country to do it.

BD chooses not to go this route. He did not want 1 year fix players. Why try and win when you are building a culture from scratch?

Two cases in point about grad students. Robbie Frey was not guaranteed admission into the grad program, so he did not play his 5th year as a grad student. Bryce McNeal, a grad transfer from Clemson,committed to UConn, but was not accepted into the grad school and went to Louisville instead. Why? Supposedly his GPA from Clemson was not high enough although he was academically eligible to play football and graduated from Clemson.

Yes, UConn does accept transfers, post grads, and JUCOs, but not in the numbers that many other schools do like Temple and Louisville.

Reaction Score
That is so easily bypassed. How do the kids from FL get their 5th year at BC by enrolling to get their MBA? UF does not have a MBA program? Or was Tyler Murphy getting his masters in comparative philosophy?

I'm only pointing out that it is a stated "requirement" - not that it can't be gamed. I would bet half leave during their first grad term.

Reaction Score

Diaco made a choice not to go after 5th year players. Plain and simple.

As a matter of fact, Tyler Murphy got his Master's in Administrative Studies at BC, which is a very specialized major and not offered at Florida.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's fun having a BC fan tell us that the sky is green isn't it.

Reaction Score
If we want to be like Temple, we have to move the school into a huge ghetto that resembles a war zone.

Reaction Score
They don't have a problem. Edsall did it and PP too. I can't recall his name but the one off the top of my head was a 4* that did a PG that came in on D. RE and PP both took PG kids from Milford Academy and Fork Union. Same with transfers (see Sherieffs, Bryant; although not a 1 year only player).

BD came in with a philosophy that he was not going the Juco or 5th yr senior/transfer route to fix holes in the team. They were quick fixes (or so I was told by numerous posters) that he did not want to do. He wanted to build a program based on 4/5 years in the system. Once again, like his offensive woes, this is on BD. It is not on admissions or the inability to bring in PG year kids. It is his choice.

Get your facts straight. First Shirreffs was brought in by Diaco as were transfers Leavenberry, Bell, Shirreffs, and Williams and one JUCO in Anderson.

As for post grads and JUCOs. neither Edsall nor PP brought in many. I went back in time and saw only 1 or 2 per season, except for 2007 when Miller, Lorenzon, Stringer and Nixon signed, although Stringer never played and Nixon never made it to campus due to grades and went to Temple.

UConn has historically brought in one or two Transfers/Preps/JUCOs per year no matter who has been the coach, but I'm not exactly sure why. Schools like Temple and Louisville will bring in 5 to 6 every year.

As for Milford Academy and Fork Union, I checked the recruiting database and from 2005 to 2016 recruiting classes there has been 1 from Milford and 6 from Fork Union. The database may be slightly off, but there has never been a big influx of post grad preps from the two schools at UConn.

Reaction Score
Is it our location?
Our coaching selections?
Our financial commitment to football?
Our facilities?
The "basketball school" curse (Indiana, Kentucky, Duke, Kansas)?
Our late start at the FBS level?
Our fan support (or lack thereof)?
All of the above?

I tend to think it's our coaching. The other items are not significant hurdles. In fact, our facilities are probably above average from what I've read.

Temple seems to have done well in a bad location (not the best section of Philly), no stadium of their own, and less fan support than we have. With the right coach, we should be fine.

And here we have it, the saddest question that anyone has ever asked.

Reaction Score
Get your facts straight. First Shirreffs was brought in by Diaco as were transfers Leavenberry, Bell, Shirreffs, and Williams and one JUCO in Anderson.

As for post grads and JUCOs. neither Edsall nor PP brought in many. I went back in time and saw only 1 or 2 per season, except for 2007 when Miller, Lorenzon, Stringer and Nixon signed, although Stringer never played and Nixon never made it to campus due to grades and went to Temple.

UConn has historically brought in one or two Transfers/Preps/JUCOs per year no matter who has been the coach, but I'm not exactly sure why. Schools like Temple and Louisville will bring in 5 to 6 every year.

As for Milford Academy and Fork Union, I checked the recruiting database and from 2005 to 2016 recruiting classes there has been 1 from Milford and 6 from Fork Union. The database may be slightly off, but there has never been a big influx of post grad preps from the two schools at UConn.
So, the difference is 9 to 11 players out 85 that Uconn won't admit that Temple will. That explains why Temple is significantly better over the last 4 years and has left Uconn in the dust,

If BB can bring in who they want, if hockey can do it, then FB could to. BD chooses not to. It is not the fault of admissions.

Reaction Score
So, the difference is 9 to 11 players out 85 that Uconn won't admit that Temple will. That explains why Temple is significantly better over the last 4 years and has left Uconn in the dust,

If BB can bring in who they want, if hockey can do it, then FB could to. BD chooses not to. It is not the fault of admissions.
Edsall was complaining about this exact thing for at least 2 years before he left. This is nothing new. If anything it may have been one of the reasons Diaco came out on top in the interview process because if dealing with this at ND.

Reaction Score

I think there are 5 Transfers/Preps/JUCOs on scholarship at UConn (one not eligible) which means Temple has 19 more and Louisville has 16 more. On the 2 deep rosters, UConn has 3 players and Temple and Louisville each have 11.

I really don't think the three recent UConn football coaches all decided not to recruit many Transfers/Preps/JUCOs for some reason. And, 2 of them, Edsall and PP, complained about it. My guess is they have some academic restrictions on recruiting.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score

Seriously?? UConn couldn't even get a kid admitted to a program when he graduated FROM UCONN

Reaction Score
I think there are 5 Transfers/Preps/JUCOs on scholarship at UConn (one not eligible) which means Temple has 19 more and Louisville has 16 more. On the 2 deep rosters, UConn has 3 players and Temple and Louisville each have 11.

I really don't think the three recent UConn football coaches all decided not to recruit many Transfers/Preps/JUCOs for some reason. And, 2 of them, Edsall and PP, complained about it. My guess is they have some academic restrictions on recruiting.

If this is true then the press should ask the AD about it and get a public answer. We should play by the same rules as the rest of our conference. If not they will be demolishing the Rent in 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom