Not open for further replies.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Is it our location?
Our coaching selections?
Our financial commitment to football?
Our facilities?
The "basketball school" curse (Indiana, Kentucky, Duke, Kansas)?
Our late start at the FBS level?
Our fan support (or lack thereof)?
All of the above?

I tend to think it's our coaching. The other items are not significant hurdles. In fact, our facilities are probably above average from what I've read.

Temple seems to have done well in a bad location (not the best section of Philly), no stadium of their own, and less fan support than we have. With the right coach, we should be fine.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
... this and only this.

I'd say it's mostly coaching, but Temple does have a geographical advantage over us. For one, being able to recruit Philadelphia area kids (and the remainder of PA), a better connection to New Jersey than we have, pretty close proximity to DMV, and the idea of relocating to a campus that isn't absolutely in the middle of nowhere. Plenty of kids, especially kids from cities, probably come to UConn and can't imagine ever spending four years in Storrs. Surely, it's not facilities, fan base or finances that are holding us back, as those are all superior to Temple. Also, Temple plays Penn State, so you have this idea of an in-state rivalry game that tons of fans are attending...that gets kids excited and is something that UConn obviously lacks. When you come here you can't bank on playing in front of over 60k

Reaction Score
Also, Temple plays Penn State, so you have this idea of an in-state rivalry game that tons of fans are attending...that gets kids excited and is something that UConn obviously lacks. When you come here you can't bank on playing in front of over 60k

Penn State series is done for foreseeable future...

Reaction Score
Talent, which comes down to the coaches and recruiting. Temple has recruited faster, better athletes at almost every position than Uconn since Al Golden was there. Significantly better at QB, WR and RB than Uconn. Infinitely better along the OL.

Layer on better coaching all around including offensive schemes that are power run based but that have enough other facets to keep D's on their toes, better fundamentals and player development and creating a real winning environment.

It was said during the game today that Rhule has coached multiple positions on both sides of the ball. It shows.

Reaction Score
Temple was the dregs of college football. Al Golden turned it around by recruiting like mad. Addazio followed him and Temple started to slide again, but Ruhle pulled them back up.

Bottom line, they made a smart hire in Golden, Addazio left after 2 years which, in hindsight, was a blessing, and they lucked out on Ruhle. This is similar to UConn. We made a smart hire in Edsall, PP, a bad hire, but stayed over 2 years, and Diaco hasn't pulled us out of the abyss.

So, Edsall >/= Golden, Addazio = PP, but Ruehle > Diaco. That's the difference.

Reaction Score
... this and only this.
Oh wait isn't GDL their Run Game Coordinator / Offensive Line coach. Separated from PP he appears to have lost all the wallpaper he had at UCONN.

Reaction Score
Get a qb as good as pj walker and start from there. He has been starting since his true freshman year, and quite frankly he is a damn good college QB.

Reaction Score
Hmm let in football players?

This school admitted Nate Miles. I'm pretty sure it can be done.
Guess that's my question. is basketball given more rope than football in this regards?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Guess that's my question. is basketball given more rope than football in this regards?

That seems to be the case.

I'm sure the argument internally is 5 versus 30 or 40

Reaction Score
Can anything be done about admissions?
Admissions is not a problem. If they meet NCAA minimum and the coach wants them, they get in. Edsall did it all the time. Happens in BB. Even PP got in kids he wanted. The real question, does BD want minimum qualifiers that are players or does he have some other criteria that meets his "winning" formula?

Reaction Score
Admissions is not a problem. If they meet NCAA minimum and the coach wants them, they get in. Edsall did it all the time. Happens in BB. Even PP got in kids he wanted. The real question, does BD want minimum qualifiers that are players or does he have some other criteria that meets his "winning" formula?

Didn't both of them claim otherwise?

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Currently, this is objectively incorrect.

Asking because I'm genuinely unaware--what's the evidence for the strict admissions standards when it comes to football? Where are we getting that narrative from? Not saying it's untrue (I have no clue), I just have never heard anything to suggest it.

Reaction Score
Currently, this is objectively incorrect.
Didn't think so. I know they're were rumblings of a few kids Edsall could not get in that other Big East schools could.

Reaction Score
QB. We can't recruit QB's.
Funny, thing is, P landed both Cochran (local kid) and Lagow(Texas) both of whom looked like legit FBS QBS. Too bad he sucked also.

Reaction Score

No they don't. Ongoing problem over the last 15 years

Reaction Score
It is just coaching. They hired good coaches while we got PP and psycho Diaco. Once we hire a real coach, we will turn it around.

Diaco is currently the boat anchor that's around our ankle right now. Once we get rid of this worthless weight, we can start anew.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom