What Happened at Maryland? | The Boneyard

What Happened at Maryland?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I admitted that I didn't watch any Maryland games after Randy left. What exactly happened there? What kind of offense and defense did he run there? Why did he fail there? Would love to hear some insights from lurking Terp fans or fans here.

Reaction Score
Same sh#t. Very arrogant. Praised the coaches. Blamed the players.

Reaction Score
He wasn't impressive, but injuries and transition to B1G don't help. He did take them to two bowls and it's not like Maryland football is a powerhouse

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
In some ways he was set up for failure at Maryland.

Whether it really was necessary, their administration felt quite a bit of housecleaning was necessary to secure an invitation to the B1G. He was brought in to clean up a lot of things that were too lax under Friedgen and ticketed off many people while cleaning things up.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
We had a post in here somewhere from a Terp fan about this a few days ago. But..from what I saw he had a period of cleaning house because Friedgen didn't put a high value on quality people like RE does. Then he had a ton of injuries...i actually thought at times the offense looked good there...maybe even creative. But the team never went from good to great and when it dipped from good to bad they canned him.

It wasn't the Diaco train wreck, but he didn't get them to competitive in the B1G.

Reaction Score
I admitted that I didn't watch any Maryland games after Randy left. What exactly happened there? What kind of offense and defense did he run there? Why did he fail there? Would love to hear some insights from lurking Terp fans or fans here.
His OC's at MD were Gary Crowton year 1 (who he paid a LOT of $$ to), then Mike Locksley year 2 on (he was named interim when RE and LBJ were fired mid-season). They ran a multiple spread type offense..Crowton was OC at LSU when Les Miles won his NC with JaMarcus Russell. As for Defense: Todd Bradford was his DC his first season (he was out of coaching after being fired until being hired in January 2016 to coach LB's at Kansas)...Don Brown bailed on him to come here after saying he would stay...he ran a 4-3. He lasted only 1 season and was replaced by Brian Stewart now DB coach at Nebraska and he ran a 3-4. He was there from 12-14 when he was replaced by Keith Dudzinski who ran a 4-3 (Dudzinski spent he 2016 season at Albany as a Defensive Asst).

Reaction Score
We had a post in here somewhere from a Terp fan about this a few days ago. But..from what I saw he had a period of cleaning house because Friedgen didn't put a high value on quality people like RE does. Then he had a ton of injuries...i actually thought at times the offense looked good there...maybe even creative. But the team never went from good to great and when it dipped from good to bad they canned him.

It wasn't the Diaco train wreck, but he didn't get them to competitive in the B1G.
I'm not making any excuses for his time at MD..but he also inherited a scholarship loss due to APR violations that occurred under Fridgeon as well.

Reaction Score
In some ways he was set up for failure at Maryland.

Whether it really was necessary, their administration felt quite a bit of housecleaning was necessary to secure an invitation to the B1G. He was brought in to clean up a lot of things that were too lax under Friedgen and ticketed off many people while cleaning things up.

This.

The count was no balls and two strikes when he stepped up to the plate. Never replace a popular coach fired by an unpopular AD. The players, coming off a good season rebelled immediately to the new level of discipline then the fans turned against Randy and he was pretty much doomed.

Since UCONN already runs a tight ship under Diaco and we are coming off a lousy season none of this will be a problem here.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
This:

Marriage of Randy Edsall and Maryland was doomed from the start

And that is exactly why I am not convinced about this hire.

RE has always struggled a bit with the media. I don't think Dez was a fan. So this story might have a bit of that in there.

But..it's a fair concern...but again, it still feels like the right move with the circumstances UConn was under. I don't think anyone is saying RE is a perfect coach...but he is the right guy for the current situation.

Reaction Score
This:

Marriage of Randy Edsall and Maryland was doomed from the start

And that is exactly why I am not convinced about this hire.
It's different here. He had back to back 7-5 years down there and at most places that isn't gonna get people excited, especially when the guy you replaced was both popular and more successful than you. Those are 2 problems he won't have here. People forget Fridge was the 1st Coach in eons to have success at MD.

Reaction Score
Palatine only expects two things from a coach: always keep playing the next-in-line QB, and take personal blame for absolutely everything that goes wrong in the world.
You forgot to add throw the ball on every down too BL.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
The best thing about Maryland football? Boomer Esiason.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Same sh#t. Very arrogant. Praised the coaches. Blamed the players.
I want my coach to be supremely confident, arrogant, whatever you want to call it. I want a coach to be a leader and instill discipline not try to be the players' best friend.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
His OC's at MD were Gary Crowton year 1 (who he paid a LOT of $$ to),

We owe that guy a beer. Anyone else remember that Diacoesq playcall on 3rd down late in the game? They call a reverse back pass that gets snuffed and puts them out of FG range. UConn was hanging on by a thread at the time. An inside handoff would have got the 1st down.

Reaction Score
DSC_7732.JPG

After the Bowling Green debacle in September 2015. He was fired a couple weeks later.

DSC_0016_zpslje8hntb.jpg

2012 UConn vs Maryland football

He was just in over his head at Maryland. Academically he succeeded where Fridgen failed. The thing was the Maryland fan base wanted Mike Leach and that was almost a done deal until the Board of Regents shot down that hire so we got Edsall and fans were pissed.

Side note: I chatted a lot with Randy's brother Duke on the sidelines at FB games while I shot for Inside MD Sports. Recently I saw Duke reffing the George Mason vs Prairie View A&M game in late December.

I wish Randy well upon his return.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member