What does Geno say about this year's conference play? | The Boneyard

What does Geno say about this year's conference play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
"We're not as talented as we were last year," Auriemma said. "We're not as experienced as we were last year. Last year, we made things look easy just about all the time. Where are we [at the moment]? Probably exactly where we should be; we've gotten a lot better in the last month.

"Just from the fact that we've backed up a little bit [in talent] there is a distinct possibility that it [league play] could be more difficult. Teams know us now. Last season, a lot of those teams [in the AAC] had never played us. Now that they have some experience playing us. I'm sure that will help them, too."

LINK

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I've said a few times and I reiterate once more
that Geno's recollection of last year's team is a bit rose colored.

One can recall:
Bria (at times) having trouble adjusting to her new back-court mate and figuring out her modified role.
Just as Ms. Moriah seems to be a suffering from exactly (or even more-so) of the same ailment this season.
K was out a great deal with a variety of ailments almost too painful to recall;
There was no Morgan (by this time).
The bench barely existed
And the two reserve guards wilted into un-usefulness upon K's return.

What was so wonderful about that.

Except of course that they won it all.

And Stef and Bria broke up as it all came to an end; surely in appreciation of the experience and opportunity
And Geno joined in on National TV.

Sorry to be playing scrooge at this time of the year
But the team at hand is immeasurably deeper and in my view more talented.

Whether they go all the way is a matter of conjecture which we will all observe with interest.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Geno tends to be more positive about teams and players after the fact. When he talks about the current team, he holds the bar very high, partly as motivation.

Reaction Score

One can recall:
Bria (at times) having trouble adjusting to her new back-court mate and figuring out her modified role.
Just as Ms. Moriah seems to be a suffering from exactly (or even more-so) of the same ailment this season.
The bench barely existed

And Stef and Bria broke up as it all came to an end; surely in appreciation of the experience and opportunity

Whether they go all the way is a matter of conjecture which we will all observe with interest.
I

One can recall:
The bench barely existed

I agree. more talent, better bench, but no Steph. We still go all the way.

Reaction Score

One can recall:
The bench barely existed

eh, bit of coaching thru the media IMO... I sure it will get back to the players that coach doesn't think they as talented as last year team.... and I'm sure he thinks that will motivate them some.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

One can recall:
The bench barely existed

Well - last year's final four team vs. this years team:
Starters:
Dolson replaced by Tuck - love Tuck but as both an offensive threat and a defensive presence Dolson in the post is much superior and her leadership and emotional infectiousness was very important to the team (she also had four years of experience.)
Bria replaced by Nurse - love Nurse but I take a four year starter Bria over Kia any day and again senior leadership was big.
Moriah - Moriah a year older and maybe a little better
KML - KML a year older and healthy so far, but she was a monster by tournament time last year.
Stewart - Stewart a year older but to date not playing any better I think than last year.

Bench:
Kiah replaced by Kiah - pretty much a wash. She is providing pretty much the same thing she did last year though playing a few more minutes.
Chong replaced by Chong - pretty much the same, though I think struggling a bit with her offense this year in a way she didn't early last year.
Williams - new face with a lot of potential.
Courtney - ??? time will tell if she can get it back together this year.

So ... yeah, last year with Dolson and Bria both averaging 64.2 minutes a game starting and playing all 40 games being replaced almost exactly by the combination of Kia, Morgan, and Gabby's combined 65.8 minutes per game I can see why Geno thinks he was better off last year.

(And of course players grow in his estimation the less he actually sees of them on a daily basis!:eek:)

Reaction Score
This year team is no doubt deeper and is potentially more talented, but last year team is much smoother running half court offense. The passing was more precise and with a purpose. This year team with all the talent looks lost a times in their half court set. Perhaps it is because the opponent they are playing... Stewart looks so happy to be taken out of the game towards the later part of the second half :) Despite all the talks about not playing to the scoreboard, I have to think for a competitor, it must be very hard to concentrate in a game like this.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This year team is no doubt deeper and is potentially more talented, but last year team is much smoother running half court offense. The passing was more precise and with a purpose. This year team with all the talent looks lost a times in their half court set. Perhaps it is because the opponent they are playing... Stewart looks so happy to be taken out of the game towards the later part of the second half :) Despite all the talks about not playing to the scoreboard, I have to think for a competitor, it must be very hard to concentrate in a game like this.
Dolson was the offensive catalyst for at least the last two years - this year's offense at times resembles last year's when Dolson was on the bench - having a great passing big at the high post who also possessed a deadly jumper from there out to the top of the key opened up everything inside as well as making the guard spot-up threes easier. Add in the great (and occasionally moving) screens she set and that is a huge gap to fill. Tuck is great, but she isn't either as tall or as massive as Stef was and her mid range jumper isn't an established weapon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom