What costs more | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What costs more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm very frustrated. Ok, we're stuck in a terrible conference with teams I could care less about. It has been discussed ad naseum. You can't present a passive, boring style of football and think people will want to watch. Attack on defense, throw the ball and try to score points. I can live with that, and would want to keep my seats

Reaction Score
I'm the DMV guy. You don't fire Diaco period. You can't keep canning coaches in the middle of year 3. They went bowling last year, he gets year 4.

In all likelihood that's what will happen. He will at least get the first 6 games of next year. The situation is unlikely to improve, so my interest level will continue to drop until a move is made.

Reaction Score
Knowing the costs it'll incur on the program long term, I'd actually be surprised if he lasts beyond this season. Or maybe they'll keep him just for the next recruiting class. Which I don't even expect to be great.

Reaction Score
Yeah ok Mr Expert - it is likely that HCBD does get next year - only because of the buyout clause
ANY university worth a grain of salt wouldn't give someone with one or two years HC experience an extension like this to start.
I disagree that no one of quality would be interested and don't be asking me to name one because I'm not interested in playing those games but would never say no one.
I am not clueless by any means and I say he should be fired BUT I know it will not happen - the guy has shown that by his coaching decisions he has a high propensity to lose winnable games - if it happens once or twice -OK- but for him its more of a norm
I will name names that are available today -
Al Golden
Joe Moorehead
Major Applewhite
Ted Roof

Too much bourbon tells me to stop now

Reaction Score
No one takes that deal and no way you keep the search quiet until January. Flip side is no hires will happen until December anywhere. It is the January trigger that is the problem.
If Diaco spent half as much effort on the field on schemes as he did locking in contract wins, we would be a top 20 team. I have cone to despise to the pretty-boy, slime ball.

Reaction Score
If you renew and BD is here, how many games are must attend for you? Why pay top dollar for multiple tickets when plenty will be available for the games you actually want to see?

He has sucked the joy out of attending the game out of me. I went from 6 season tickets in 2008 to 4 during PP and right now to sitting alone today. No one wanted to see this game. If I renew, 2 it will be a minor miracle as of today.

That is the risk Uconn is looking at today.
I get it. as the weather gets worse and the losses mount, it gets harder to go. I couldn't find someone to go either. I tried giving tickets away. No takers.

That said we canned P in the middle of the season in year 3. You can't get a rep of a school that does not give coaches a chance. That more than anything why you give this guy year 4.

Reaction Score
I get it. as the weather gets worse and the losses mount, it gets harder to go. I couldn't find someone to go either. I tried giving tickets away. No takers.

That said we canned P in the middle of the season in year 3. You can't get a rep of a school that does not give coaches a chance. That more than anything why you give this guy year 4.
Or you get the reputation as a school that accepts ...eccentricity as a virtue? Making any bowl as a reason for extension? Lack of growth as perfectly fine?

Unfortunately, Diaco will likely be the coach game 1 next year. And season tickets will be near 10,000, stadium will average 50% of capacity and another year will be sacrificed.

Reaction Score
Just because you don't like the teams doesn't make it a terrible conference. Before today - 3 teams in top 30.
We get 2.1 million a year for a tv contract. It is a terrible conference. And I could care less about the teams in it

Reaction Score
Losing to SMU 31-to 14 in the 4th,
I meant overall success. :rolleyes:

I know the score of the game right now. Good for SMU. Looks like UH players are taking a break anyway.

Reaction Score
Mods, lock this thread. The man gets next year, and anyone who believes he should be fired right now are clueless. You start axing coaches this new to a program (yes, he still is new by football standards) and no one of quality will consider the UConn job. We'll be considered an amateur outfit who makes knee-jerk decisions and doesn't stick by our staffs.

Have you kept up with modern football? Charlie Strong is about to get fired at Texas after three years. And that's only one example.

Reaction Score
Ted Roof, Al Golden and Bourbon... yup.

Golden would not be a bad pick, IMO. Kicked UConn's ass pretty good in 2010 w/Temple. Kind of had one hand tied behind his back at Miami. Knows how to win in Northeast. Besides, after BD's fashion act, wouldn't mind seeing a tie on the sideline.

Reaction Score
Golden would not be a bad pick, IMO. Kicked UConn's ass pretty good in 2010 w/Temple. Kind of had one hand tied behind his back at Miami. Knows how to win in Northeast. Besides, after BD's fashion act, wouldn't mind seeing a tie on the sideline.
Golden plus Uconn's facilities makes a winner. He won at Temple. He won at UVA. Max 4 year coach as he will Move to a P5 gig if successful

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Or maybe they'll keep him just for the next recruiting class. Which I don't even expect to be great.

I would keep him just for Jordan McAfee, then fire him he if isn't past .500 beyond game 5 or 6.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I don't know how to break it to those pouring their hearts out on this thread (and yes, every individual season ticket buyer warrants respect) but coach Diaco will be here for at a minimum two more seasons. The remainder of this season and the early part of next season will continue to be part of the building process but it won't be until well into next season that the expectation of the current staff being entirely responsible for all results will kick in.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
We're quickly learning Benedict is lost and incompetent

Your nut's plain and simple. The man came from the heart of college football and you have the nerve to say is lost
No you are the one who is lost and know jack about college football.

Now i think Diaco has to change something up this coming week or he will lose the rest of the fans

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Doesn't Diaco's buyout decrease after 1/1/17 by $1,500,000, from $5 million to $3,500,000? Or am I misremembering?

You're right. I think it drops to 3.4 million. It might be cheaper in the long run to pay it and hopefully make a coaching hire that can possibly re-energize the fanbase. Whatever we do, please, no more washed up retreads or defensive coaches who believe that only three things can happen when you pass and two of them are bad. We need someone who has coached an exciting, up tempo spread offense at a comparable level and been successful.

Reaction Score
The big question is, who offered the extention? If it was Warde then maybe the new AD isn't a moron and could pick a decent, new, coach. If so, fire the coach ASAP and see who the new AD picks. If not, then the new AD is a moron, as is the president that hired him. In that case, firing the coach probably won't help because they will just make another bad hire.

Reaction Score
lol yeah because UConn and Texas pretty much synonymous with each other

No sherlock. Doesn't invalidate the point. Kansas coach David Beaty is also in his third year also might get fired and there's plenty more examples at coacheshotseat. That good enough for ya?

Reaction Score
I don't know how to break it to those pouring their hearts out on this thread (and yes, every individual season ticket buyer warrants respect) but coach Diaco will be here for at a minimum two more seasons. The remainder of this season and the early part of next season will continue to be part of the building process but it won't be until well into next season that the expectation of the current staff being entirely responsible for all results will kick in.

Does attendance figure into this "Diaco minimum two more seasons" scenario?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom