What costs more | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What costs more

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Looks they restructured his deal to make his buyout way costlier before this year. if they fire him after that, they should go ahead and fire themselves as well.

Take the emotion out of this, and see it for what it is. Next year, different story.

If our administration retains this clown for another full season, that will constitute an egregious lack of judgment on their part and they will all deserve to be fired for it. You don't compound your mistakes by piling one on top of another, expecting a different result.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
By the way, is this strength coach we have overrated? Has he been Diaco'd (i.e. he's talked about like he's a 10 but in reality he's a 4 or 5)? Can't say I'm wonderfully impressed with our offensive line unless in reality they aren't being taught well.

He's doing his job and bulking up the kids. The fact that our guys have DI bodies but are lagging in skill development lies on the positional coaches.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'll take wins over playing teams close and losing. Not denying that what we have here isn't cutting it, but we can do much better than Whipple.

They put up 28 against South Carolina and 35 against Mississippi State. They can't stop anyone, but they haven't recruited anyone. And they're still putting up big numbers against SEC defenses.

I'm not stuck on Whipple; he's just an example of someone we could realistically poach as an upgrade...

Reaction Score
How in the heck does 6-7 with a putrid offense get you an extension in year 2? Is it because you tanked year 1 so bad it looked good by comparison? I'm not saying they can't salvage the season but suposing they get to .500 or better I don't think Coach D has the potential to get us anywhere near where we were previously. His plan isn't just frustratingly out of touch, it's poorly executed. Year 3 is my final evaluation but the insane decision to extend his contract really tied our hands.

Reaction Score
You line up a coach before the last game. You tell the coach to hang on until January 1st. You fire Diaco on Jan 2nd and announce the new coach on Jan 3rd. We will save $1.5m if we fire him on January 1st or 2nd.

We need the interview process now. This is a disaster that's not going to get better anytime soon.

Reaction Score
You line up a coach before the last game. You tell the coach to hang on until January 1st. You fire Diaco on Jan 2nd and announce the new coach on Jan 3rd. We will save $1.5m if we fire him on January 1st or 2nd.

We need the interview process now. This is a disaster that's not going to get better anytime soon.
No one takes that deal and no way you keep the search quiet until January. Flip side is no hires will happen until December anywhere. It is the January trigger that is the problem.

Reaction Score
I believe it has been written as such.

Which is why if he is fired, it will be after 1/1 IMO because 1.5 mil is the next coaches salary perhaps. Let Diaco play the year out. You'd look crazier than Diaco's red pants if you can him now because we still have a shot at a bowl game (not saying we're gonna make it).

By the way, is this strength coach we have overrated? Has he been Diaco'd (i.e. he's talked about like he's a 10 but in reality he's a 4 or 5)? Can't say I'm wonderfully impressed with our offensive line unless in reality they aren't being taught well.

I think the lines are plenty strong and well conditioned. A little slow personnel and scheme-wise on D and except for the injuries look better to me on offense. It's the plan and the coaching and lack of a special talent at QB who can make up for it.

Reaction Score
We're quickly learning Benedict is lost and incompetent

The deal was essentially done before he got here...

Benedict Makes Statement With Diaco Extension

>>Benedict didn't need to extend Diaco, even though Bob had received some interest from other schools. Mike Anthony of the Hartford Courant reports that Warde Manuel began contract extension conversations with Diaco in early-December. While Benedict makes it seem like he inherited a nearly done deal, he certainly didn't need to complete it. It was his decision to make, and if he chose not to it wouldn't have been the first time a new athletic director flexed his muscle in the interest of bringing in his own hand-picked coach- especially for what is the most important athletic program with regards to conference realignment.<<

I agree w/ the article that he had the authority per se and could have nixed it but I'm sure he had strong "advise" at the time to get it done and move on. It is now incumbent on him to raise the money if he feels strongly that a change needs to be made after year three.

Reaction Score
Great, we have him for a few more years. Doesn't mean I need to renew my tickets. Sick of a poor product, and Uconn close to losing a 10 year season ticket holder

Reaction Score
He's doing his job and bulking up the kids. The fact that our guys have DI bodies but are lagging in skill development lies on the positional coaches.

For what it's worth Diaco was on a tear saying how small and weak the linemen were when he got here. Well, year three rushing offense and sacks allowed ranks still in triple digits in the NCAA stats. Meanwhile, Houston didn't have one guy on their line over 300 lbs. Go figure.

Reaction Score
The incompetance at the top of the university is astounding. We haven't had a decent president and AD in forever!!!!

Reaction Score
Mods, lock this thread. The man gets next year, and anyone who believes he should be fired right now are clueless. You start axing coaches this new to a program (yes, he still is new by football standards) and no one of quality will consider the UConn job. We'll be considered an amateur outfit who makes knee-jerk decisions and doesn't stick by our staffs.

Reaction Score
Great, we have him for a few more years. Doesn't mean I need to renew my tickets. Sick of a poor product, and Uconn close to losing a 10 year season ticket holder
This is the real problem. I missed today's game but will likely renew my tickets, were in danger of losing the long time ticket holders, because people are tired the same old same old. We need better.

Reaction Score
The deal was essentially done before he got here...

Benedict Makes Statement With Diaco Extension

>>Benedict didn't need to extend Diaco, even though Bob had received some interest from other schools. Mike Anthony of the Hartford Courant reports that Warde Manuel began contract extension conversations with Diaco in early-December. While Benedict makes it seem like he inherited a nearly done deal, he certainly didn't need to complete it. It was his decision to make, and if he chose not to it wouldn't have been the first time a new athletic director flexed his muscle in the interest of bringing in his own hand-picked coach- especially for what is the most important athletic program with regards to conference realignment.<<

I agree w/ the article that he had the authority per se and could have nixed it but I'm sure he had strong "advise" at the time to get it done and move on. It is now incumbent on him to raise the money if he feels strongly that a change needs to be made after year three.

Was Manuel on his way out and negotiating an extension because he felt others were after Diaco? I call headfake!!!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I second this emotion

Reaction Score
Mods, lock this thread. The man gets next year, and anyone who believes he should be fired right now are clueless. You start axing coaches this new to a program (yes, he still is new by football standards) and no one of quality will consider the UConn job. We'll be considered an amateur outfit who makes knee-jerk decisions and doesn't stick by our staffs.
As opposed to admitting a mistake and trying to correct it. There are lots of coaches that would want the facilities and budget Diaco has. There are plenty of coaches that want the chance to succeed. Clueless is thinking the offense scheme will change magically next year. Clueless is thinking Diacos base philosophy of conservative and have a chance in the fourth quarter will change. Clueless is thinking the recruiting Diaco has shown is competeive in the AAC let alone any Moderately successful P5 program.

My original premise stands, what is more expensive, firing or keeping? Amateur is not trying to win.

Reaction Score
As opposed to admitting a mistake and trying to correct it. There are lots of coaches that would want the facilities and budget Diaco has. There are plenty of coaches that want the chance to succeed. Clueless is thinking the offense scheme will change magically next year. Clueless is thinking Diacos base philosophy of conservative and have a chance in the fourth quarter will change. Clueless is thinking the recruiting Diaco has shown is competeive in ten AAC let alone. Moderately successful P5 program.

My original premise stands, what is more expensive, firing or keeping? Amateur is not trying to win.

this sounds suspiciously like the "he won't get us to the next level" talk that swirled around Edsall. How'd that work out for us?

Reaction Score
Isn't Houston supposedly an "amateur gig"? How are they doing?

Reaction Score
This is the real problem. I missed today's game but will likely renew my tickets, were in danger of losing the long time ticket holders, because people are tired the same old same old. We need better.
If you renew and BD is here, how many games are must attend for you? Why pay top dollar for multiple tickets when plenty will be available for the games you actually want to see?

He has sucked the joy out of attending the game out of me. I went from 6 season tickets in 2008 to 4 during PP and right now to sitting alone today. No one wanted to see this game. If I renew, 2 it will be a minor miracle as of today.

That is the risk Uconn is looking at today.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Yeah ok Mr Expert - it is likely that HCBD does get next year - only because of the buyout clause
ANY university worth a grain of salt wouldn't give someone with one or two years HC experience an extension like this to start.
I disagree that no one of quality would be interested and don't be asking me to name one because I'm not interested in playing those games but would never say no one.
I am not clueless by any means and I say he should be fired BUT I know it will not happen - the guy has shown that by his coaching decisions he has a high propensity to lose winnable games - if it happens once or twice -OK- but for him its more of a norm

Reaction Score
Yeah ok Mr Expert - it is likely that HCBD does get next year - only because of the buyout clause
ANY university worth a grain of salt wouldn't give someone with one or two years HC experience an extension like this to start.
I disagree that no one of quality would be interested and don't be asking me to name one because I'm not interested in playing those games but would never say no one.
I am not clueless by any means and I say he should be fired BUT I know it will not happen - the guy has shown that by his coaching decisions he has a high propensity to lose winnable games - if it happens once or twice -OK- but for him its more of a norm

Whether he should or should not be employed here can be debated ad infinitum. Regardless, the University cannot fire him now due to the perceptions that the timing would raise, it would mark as as a certain type of athletic department.

Reaction Score
this sounds suspiciously like the "he won't get us to the next level" talk that swirled around Edsall. How'd that work out for us?
Edsall started a D1 program and deserved time and showed results in year 3. Show 1 area Uconn has improved in the last 2+ seasons.

Flip side, look at the bizarre stuff and horrible losses under BD the last 2+ seasons.

Cut your losses. Show the people that pay money you care.

Or sit tight and lose fans for many years. People that buy tickets and donate money.

Reaction Score
I'm the DMV guy. You don't fire Diaco period. You can't keep canning coaches in the middle of year 3. They went bowling last year, he gets year 4.
You have to look at the quality of product being put on the field. Just in the same way you don't fire a guy for just missing a bowl who has been solid, you don't keep a guy around who has shown little that resembles significant improvement. There is nothing stellar about him in any phase, other than treating kids decently (not to be discounted). His new coaching peers are turning around programs in one and two years. You got to recognize when the cards have been played out, fold and ante up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moochi278

Top Bottom