What Are Your Thoughts On The Possibilities Of The New B(ig)east? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What Are Your Thoughts On The Possibilities Of The New B(ig)east?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
"The Big Deceased is falling apart and will continue to be the waiting room for programs until some better offer comes along. In the meantime:

Most UConn fans, me included, generally hate what is going on and realize that UConn's alternatives are basically 3. 1. For better or worse, stay with this dumb-ass Big Blob league - assuming the invitees accept - for however long it lasts, and stay loyal to it. 2. Stay with the mishmash and jump at the first chance to bolt to a more "stable" major conference that happens to have a bunch of the old BE rivals in it - the ACC 3. get into a mid-major more local conference, screw the BCS football and continue to compete in hoops with an occasional highly competitive team like Butler, Gonzaga, URI etc. Is it really worth the craziness? The trouble with #3 is the state and the program have invested a great deal to become a BCS FB school.

So you think UC doesn't play exciting, offense-oriented FB? They do, but the other teams have figured out how to stop it.

Reaction Score
"The Big Deceased is falling apart and will continue to be the waiting room for programs until some better offer comes along. In the meantime:

Most UConn fans, me included, generally hate what is going on and realize that UConn's alternatives are basically 3. 1. For better or worse, stay with this dumb-ass Big Blob league - assuming the invitees accept - for however long it lasts, and stay loyal to it. 2. Stay with the mishmash and jump at the first chance to bolt to a more "stable" major conference that happens to have a bunch of the old BE rivals in it - the ACC

3. get into a mid-major more local conference, screw the BCS football and continue to compete in hoops with an occasional highly competitive team like Butler, Gonzaga, URI etc. Is it really worth the craziness? The trouble with #3 is the state and the program have invested a great deal to become a BCS FB school.

So you think UC doesn't play exciting, offense-oriented FB? They do, but the other teams have figured out how to stop it.

A definite no to #3. UConn is a big time sports program - no going back. National Champs in Men's & Women's Hoops. Men's soccer. Runner-up in Women's soccer. Baseball Sweet 16. So no MAC, no Butler , no Yankee Conference URI.

Reaction Score
This version of the BE conference will be dead in 5 years. How is this conference going to be able to provide all it's members quality representation? How long before the football only schools leave for an all league conference? Think about the type of Conference there could have been if the football schools broke off when Penn St wanted in, could have added temple as well. BB and fb would be top notch. The rumblings coming out of Rutgers and Ville mean they will jump at first chance just like us. The bb schools have to much control, and until they make the decision to do what's right for the fb schools this conference will never work. Problem for them its to late. So it a great conference until we get go the ACC.

Reaction Score
A definite no to #3. UConn is a big time sports program - no going back. National Champs in Men's & Women's Hoops. Men's soccer. Runner-up in Women's soccer. Baseball Sweet 16. So no MAC, no Butler , no Yankee Conference URI.
We often disagree, but I'm 100% with you on this. Anyone who argues we should be in some mid-major conference just has no clue about where UCONN athletics is. Probably never attended any event but a basketball game.

Reaction Score
As for as this proposed league, I don't much care for it, but it is what it is. I see it as a short term solution anyway, since it really doesn't make sense for any of the members long term. I've really sort of lost interest in the whole thing at this point. Just get it set up and let's move on.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
"We often disagree, but I'm 100% with you on this. Anyone who argues we should be in some mid-major conference just has no clue about where UCONN athletics is. Probably never attended any event but a basketball game."'

I said #3 won't happen. But from a purely fan interest point of view, nothing beats sectional rivalries. To say that some of the proposed alignments of the Big Blob provide any sort of sectional rivalry to UConn fans apart from RU is a joke. It is like when the Atlanta Braves were part of the Western Division of the NL. Of course the fans of the team still want to see the FB team win and to play good teams from no matter where and to be eligible to play in major bowls, but the season game by game as a whole is pretty yuck from a rivalry standpoint. I don't like it, but a move to the ACC is the best alternative. Reestablishes regional rivalries and the hoops will be darn good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom