Whalers 2.0? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Whalers 2.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Houston, SLC, Milwaukee and even Atlanta (3rd times the charm) would all be ahead of Hartford for adding a new US team. I don't think the NHL would want to go more into Canada over a US market (just less $) but Quebec City and a second team in Ontario would all be before Hartford.

I do appreciate Lamont kicking the tires, as he should. Never hurts to have a convo.

I have little care how this ends up but if Atlanta is given a franchise, that's just stupid. They don't care about hockey and don't support it.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I think Houston would be the odds on favorites for the Coyotes. Texas is booming. Very business friendly. No state income tax (which is a help in luring free agents).
We are gonna have to redefine what “business friendly” means.

Reaction Score
I think UConn has a better chance of getting an all sports invite to the SEC than Hartford has of getting another NHL team. Hartford just doesn’t have enough corporations to buy up all the luxury boxes and club seats required to support an NHL. The days of lower bowl seats being owned by individual season ticket holders are gone. The lower bowl club seats and mid level luxury boxes need to be owned by the corporations. Maybe a team in the Stamford area would work but that area is already Ranger territory, so the NHL Gaines nothing by having a team there.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
How about a state were businesses. Small and big, as well as people, are moving in droves.
And when you get there have the government tell your business, and spouses/daughters, what they can say, do, be. Real business friendly.

Reaction Score
I think UConn has a better chance of getting an all sports invite to the SEC than Hartford has of getting another NHL team. Hartford just doesn’t have enough corporations to buy up all the luxury boxes and club seats required to support an NHL. The days of lower bowl seats being owned by individual season ticket holders are gone. The lower bowl club seats and mid level luxury boxes need to be owned by the corporations. Maybe a team in the Stamford area would work but that area is already Ranger territory, so the NHL Gaines nothing by having a team there.

If the days of individual Season ticket holders in the lower bowl are over, who is this league actually for and why should casual fans even care?

Also, the NHL already gains little to nothing by having a team in Newark and Belmont. The Devils and Islanders are relics from a time when the NHL did perceive itself as more regional. It's fascinating to think that the Colorado Rockies moved to the Meadowlands. Bettman and his expansion efforts - also at the behest of owners - are geographically positioned to garner that elusive lucrative television contract for a sport that does not translate to the screen (of any size) well at all. The irony is thick for this league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom