Westworld | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Westworld

Reaction Score
So I guess it's confirmed. Everything about the Westworld Park is engineered. Do we have any idea when in the future this show takes place?

The Man in Black seems to be the only guest who realizes that the ultimate ride exists. There is a maze, said maze was once stenciled underneath the scalp of at least one host. Bernard also gave the maze to Delores, so I'm thinking that he already gave it out once to someone else, or Arnold was the last one to do so.

Bernard is the new Arnold, whoever Arnold was. He lost a child and now seems to be playing both sides because hosts like Delores are surrogate children to him.

Dr. Robert Ford. I can't help that this name isn't a coincidence, a person of the same name killed Jesse James (remember that boring Brad Pitt movie ?), a character from the real wild west. He has a god complex, but he said before that hosts didn't do anything that we didn't tell them to do. Either he doesn't believe that or something much bigger is afoot, because why would a God want to lord over a bunch of non-sentients. Which might mean that this whole brewing crisis is in fact being engineered on purpose.

And what about the figures? Hector tells Maeve that they are "Shades". Which is really interesting to me because that's a word straight out of greek mythology(ghosts from the underworld). Where would the hosts even get that word unless it was programmed into them? Why would the Native American hosts even come up that name, that word would be "native" to their own simulated culture. The vague awareness of these Westworld technicians and calling them Shades must be intentional. So this must all be part of Dr. Ford's meta game.

Very good episode on Sunday. The little Mexican girl also apparently knows about the maze, she was drawing it in the dirt with a stick. This show could go in a million directions now, so that makes it very interesting. What the he** is Dr Ford building as the ultimate story line??? Also, interesting story line developing with nice-guy guest and very troubled Dolores. Could it be a real romance that bridges the gap between host and guest as he realizes that there's a lot more to her than meets the eye?

Reaction Score
Dr. Robert Ford. I can't help that this name isn't a coincidence, a person of the same name killed Jesse James (remember that boring Brad Pitt movie ?), a character from the real wild west.
Awseome historical connection, thanks
He has a god complex, but he said before that hosts didn't do anything that we didn't tell them to do. Either he doesn't believe that or something much bigger is afoot, because why would a God want to lord over a bunch of non-sentients. Which might mean that this whole brewing crisis is in fact being engineered on purpose.
Certainly could be a potential commentary on the concept of the biblical god

And what about the figures? Hector tells Maeve that they are "Shades". Which is really interesting to me because that's a word straight out of greek mythology(ghosts from the underworld). Where would the hosts even get that word unless it was programmed into them? Why would the Native American hosts even come up that name, that word would be "native" to their own simulated culture. The vague awareness of these Westworld technicians and calling them Shades must be intentional. So this must all be part of Dr. Ford's meta game.
I could see that being set up as a kind of false explanation for hosts who happen to go through what a couple currently are. Hosts know the Natives as "Savages" and therefore are considered spiritual, barbaric, crazy/delusional, etc so if someone starts having recurrent dreams of the figures, they are more likely to chalk it up to just being a crazy dream. Kind of like how in The Matrix, to everyone living in it, Morpheus, Trinity, etc. are considered dangerous terrorists.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If I had to guess right now, the new storyline and the maze is some type of pinnochio real boy machine/experience to activate whatever code is lying within them.

Any creator worth his salt isn't going to be satisfied with creating near humans.

Could be to replace a loved one, or the corruot human race. Guaranteed not to work out well.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Yeah, I cut bait before last season. Please drop me a line to let me know when Glen gets eaten alive.

That's not gonna happen, as his skull has been completely flattened by a barbwire baseball bat named Lucille. His eye even popped out.

Reaction Score
Pretty decent episode tonight. Mysteries are evolving. Next week's preview looks like a humdinger. Seems pretty clear we have two separate timelines going now. Might maybe substantiate some of the crazier rumors out there. Best new show.

Reaction Score
But I won't say it is way more than the Matrix..not yet at least.
The simple fact that Westworld (the locale and its programmed inhabitants) being fully man-made theme park as opposed to the Matrix (the locale and its human inhabitants) being a computer-made prison makes the underlying concepts of the show completely different. One god character is Anthony Hopkins, the other is a computer program. The concepts of creation and control are addressed completely differently across the two paradigms beyond the surface-level tricking inhabitants in to believing their weird experiences are dreams

Reaction Score
The simple fact that Westworld (the locale and its programmed inhabitants) being fully man-made theme park as opposed to the Matrix (the locale and its human inhabitants) being a computer-made prison makes the underlying concepts of the show completely different. One god character is Anthony Hopkins, the other is a computer program. The concepts of creation and control are addressed completely differently across the two paradigms beyond the surface-level tricking inhabitants in to believing their weird experiences are dreams

I mean I get what he is saying. Some of the protagonists are becoming aware that their existence is not what they perceived to be and Delores seems more like Keanu with every episode.

Reaction Score
I guess broad strokes if you were describing it in a single phrase to someone who had never seen or heard anything about the show

Reaction Score
I mean I get what he is saying. Some of the protagonists are becoming aware that their existence is not what they perceived to be and Delores seems more like Keanu with every episode.

Thanks, I thought it was pretty clear. Hopkins is like the Architect. So if you took the Matrix from the Architect"s Perspective....didn't say it was a direct match, just similar in general theme after just 4 episodes. But I digress.

Reaction Score
Thanks, I thought it was pretty clear. Hopkins is like the Architect. So if you took the Matrix from the Architect"s Perspective....didn't say it was a direct match, just similar in general theme after just 4 episodes. But I digress.

And we don't even know for sure what Hopkins/Ford is yet. He could be a Host carrying out the will of a dead designer for all we know. The machine god of the machines.

I wonder if we'll ever find out what year it is yet. It feels like it is in the distant future. Anyone else catch the line the other night about being weeded out as an embryo during personality testing?

intlzncster

Reaction Score

There's actually two god characters in Westworld as well. Hopkins' character, and his late partner 'Arnold'. The interplay (dreams/vision/purpose for creation) between one dead character, and one living, presumably evolving, character is intriguing. I'm interested to see what if anything comes of that arc.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
And we don't even know for sure what Hopkins/Ford is yet. He could be a Host carrying out the will of a dead designer for all we know. The machine god of the machines.

I wonder if we'll ever find out what year it is yet. It feels like it is in the distant future. Anyone else catch the line the other night about being weeded out as an embryo during personality testing?

I'm not sure the year is even relevant. Doubt we ever learn what year it is.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
What happened at the church that it was burnt out/buried?
What really happened to Arnold?
Have the hosts been programmed in to loops because something bad happened when they were given free reign?
What's up with the host that bashed his head after trying to communicate with a satellite?

Reaction Score
I'm not sure the year is even relevant. Doubt we ever learn what year it is.

I think it is, or at least it seems in the distant future. The world on the outside is different place if they are weeding people out through embryonic personality tests.

Reaction Score
What happened at the church that it was burnt out/buried?
What really happened to Arnold?
Have the hosts been programmed in to loops because something bad happened when they were given free reign?
What's up with the host that bashed his head after trying to communicate with a satellite?

I think he did it to make sure that nobody could get him to give up the reason for communicating to the satellite.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I liked the first couple of episode, but have found the last last couple too slow.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I find it quite fascinating. The acting is very good. Hopkins, Wood, and really everyone. It's the show I look forward to most each week. The way Ford can control anything and everything, seemingly with his mind is ripe for exploration. How Dolores can seemingly override her protocols...how Arnold is communicating with them? It's most like Blade Runner as an exploration of when people are people...however created.

And Evan Rachel Wood...more screen time than anyone else, and half of it is from about a foot away. They're not shooting her through a filter either (remember Sybil Shepherd in Moonlighting with Bruce Willis?). You've got to be a rather beautiful women to look that good in that many clear closeup shots.

Reaction Score
I find it quite fascinating. The acting is very good. Hopkins, Wood, and really everyone. It's the show I look forward to most each week. The way Ford can control anything and everything, seemingly with his mind is ripe for exploration. How Dolores can seemingly override her protocols...how Arnold is communicating with them? It's most like Blade Runner as an exploration of when people are people...however created.

And Evan Rachel Wood...more screen time than anyone else, and half of it is from about a foot away. They're not shooting her through a filter either (remember Sybil Shepherd in Moonlighting with Bruce Willis?). You've got to be a rather beautiful women to look that good in that many clear closeup shots.

I'm enjoying it tremendously, I like how the story is unwrapping/unraveling slowly - I feel like I'm tumbling down a rabbit hole, and I like how what seemed like a seemingly simplistic story thread (rich people go to an amusement park to play at Wild West but there's a problem brewing with the robots) is now completely unraveling into something much much deeper and potentially sinister.

Reaction Score
I'm enjoying it tremendously, I like how the story is unwrapping/unraveling slowly - I feel like I'm tumbling down a rabbit hole, and I like how what seemed like a seemingly simplistic story thread (rich people go to an amusement park to play at Wild West but there's a problem brewing with the robots) is now completely unraveling into something much much deeper and potentially sinister.

That scene last night when they went "upstairs" was great. It was like watching a mere mortal see how the "Gods" make sausage and then she has the gall to blackmail them later on.

Ford says that Artists conceal themselves in their work, so maybe Arnold is like a ghost in the machine at this point, but that feels too obvious.

It also seems to me that Teddy could also be the "Wyatt" that he is programmed to produce.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
My goodness the actress that plays Maeve is terrific... upstairs scene was really well done. Not sure why the two tech dopes go along with her plans so easily though.

Reaction Score
My goodness the actress that plays Maeve is terrific... upstairs scene was really well done. Not sure why the two tech dopes go along with her plans so easily though.

The scene where she
bricks herself
was one of my favorite scenes so far. Really well done by Thandie Newton.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom