Well, who is our QB? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Well, who is our QB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Many of you guys are ridiculous. Offense worse than last year. Hell if it scores no points in the first quarter all year but don't spot the opposing team 7 to start the game that would still be an improvement. It couldn't possibly be worse. Worse doesn't exist.

Then there is the hating on Boyle. Worst QB in FBS? That's absurd. We were thrilled to get him as a recruit. He's a drop back passer who played behind the worst offensive line UConn has ever had or ever will have at this level. He has enough talent. Nobody here is qualified to say that he hasn't made major improvement. Yes, our QB position is an "unknown". So? Unknown can be fantastic or terrible. There is no basis to expect either at this point.

I am expecting a vastly improved running game, with young backs coming into their own and an OL that will know what it is doing. That alone will make everything else better.

Check your eyes and the stats.

In 2013 Boyle had the lowest QB rating in the FBS of QBs with 100 or more attempts.

In 2014 Boyle had the second lowest QB rating in FBS of QBs with 100 or more attempts.

The kid got thrown into a tough situation and I hope he improves but calling him the worst FBS QB is hardly "absurd" given the two seasons off statistics and the eye test we've seen firsthand.

Reaction Score
We lost our top 2 receivers.

We lost our projected starting TE.
We lost our center on our already weak line.
We have an absolute unknown at QB, with the worse QB in FBS as the backup.
But I'm an idiot and ruining the board for thinking we could be worse?

We didn't throw the ball last year (and Davis was rarely seen on 3rd down), so losing our top 2 WRs is a small stretch. SM was a decent blocking TE, but little threat in stretching a D. Crozier didn't play Center last year. Our QB play was awful (and led by 2 guys who suffered mult concussions).

I don't know how much improvement we will see, but I am optimistic (as one should be BEFORE the season begins). I think the unit could gel as the season progresses. My concerns are a 6'6" center, a true freshman at backup OT, a WR (Bradley) we thought would contribute who apparently didn't show up in preseason, and a lot of guys playing under the lights for the first time (and at skill positions). I don't understand the beating the chest and proclaiming a unit or a player as bad before we have seen 1 snap, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. I don't think you're ruining the board, I just wish someone would stop pissing on your cereal in the morning, so you could enjoy a positive thought. Life's short

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
We didn't throw the ball last year (and Davis was rarely seen on 3rd down), so losing our top 2 WRs is a small stretch. SM was a decent blocking TE, but little threat in stretching a D. Crozier didn't play Center last year. Our QB play was awful (and led by 2 guys who suffered mult concussions).

I don't know how much improvement we will see, but I am optimistic (as one should be BEFORE the season begins). I think the unit could gel as the season progresses. My concerns are a 6'6" center, a true freshman at backup OT, a WR (Bradley) we thought would contribute who apparently didn't show up in preseason, and a lot of guys playing under the lights for the first time (and at skill positions). I don't understand the beating the chest and proclaiming a unit or a player as bad before we have seen 1 snap, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. I don't think you're ruining the board, I just wish someone would stop pissing on your cereal in the morning, so you could enjoy a positive thought. Life's short

Thinking your passing challenged offense may be worse after losing your best WR (an NFL draftee) and your 2nd best WR (who got an NFL shot this summer) is a stretch?

You people act as if I'm pulling this stuff out of thin air.

The stance you're taking is simply Well, they can't be as worse as last year.. well just because, oh and the players lift weights more this off season?

As I've said before if Shirreffs is even slightly below league average we should be improved? If he's bad or gets hurt? Then we will be worse than last season.

Reaction Score
I'm trying to keep it realistic on what improvements I'd like to see. There will be penalties, turnovers, drops, missed blocks, etc.. Happens to the best teams. So here are the three things I'm looking for:
1) Minimize the turnovers that are returned for scores or give the opponent the ball the red zone. TO's are going to happen, but boy when and where ours happened l.y. were just incredible. Last season our offense gave up almost as many points as our defense...okay, that is an exaggeration but you get the point...we turned it over deep in our own end a lot.
2) The OL getting just a little push or at least holding the LOS. Last season they spent more time being pushed into the backfield than they did across the LOS on run plays.
3) The ability for a QB to take a snap from under center and take a 5 or 7 step drop without having a hand in his face at the 5th or 7th step more often than he doesn't have a hand in his face.

Reaction Score
We completed 185 passes last year, in 12 games. That's 15/game. I recognize you are relying on last year's stats and not pulling things out of thin air, but even you have to recognize that our entire passing/completion stats slightly beat out those of Amari Cooper (or some kid from Col St I never heard of). Not Alabama, one player on their team. If at year end we are talking about 185 completions and 2000 passing yards, I will share your negativity. The beauty of college football is you have to turnover your roster every year or 2. I am confident the new crew can put up numbers that exceed the 14 edition.

We have many challenges ahead of us. It just seems that while both of us see light at the end of the tunnel - I see sunshine, you see an oncoming train. We'll see who's prognostication/expectations were closer to the mark over the course of the next 4 months.

Reaction Score
God almighty this place is being overrun by little crybabies.

Why are people so offended over this? People see and view things differently. It happens every day on every topic imaginable. Neither side is right or wrong. I personally think that we'll be slightly better on offense, but I'm by no means convinced of it. And being concerned about our offense, given where we were last year and what we lost, is far from an unreasonable position.

People talk about guys like whaler, CHB, and myself ruining the board and driving people away but honestly I haven't posted much here because frankly there's not much to discuss and any time the conversation gets real the same cast of characters come out with the insults.

Seriously people are "ignoring" people who's opinions and viewpoints are different from their own and feel like that's an admirable thing to do. The board is really getting tiresome.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
God almighty this place is being overrun by little crybabies.

Why are people so offended over this? People see and view things differently. It happens every day on every topic imaginable. Neither side is right or wrong. I personally think that we'll be slightly better on offense, but I'm by no means convinced of it. And being concerned about our offense, given where we were last year and what we lost, is far from an unreasonable position.

People talk about guys like whaler, CHB, and myself ruining the board and driving people away but honestly I haven't posted much here because frankly there's not much to discuss and any time the conversation gets real the same cast of characters come out with the insults.

Seriously people are "ignoring" people who's opinions and viewpoints are different from their own and feel like that's an admirable thing to do. The board is really getting tiresome.

Since the most inflammatory comment seems to be that there exists a chance that offense could be worse it's especially odd.

There is a chance it could be an electric offense and they score like crazy.

I'm not sure what is offensive about looking at an equation with a lot of unknown variables and understanding there are a whole bunch of different potential outcomes - some of which aren't good.

Reaction Score
Who has a 2-deep with 2 tight end positions in 2015?

Bama :);)
http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2015/08/alabama_releases_2015_depth_ch.html

Offense

LT: Cam Robinson, Lester Cotton, Korren Kirven (questionable)
LG: Ross Pierschbacher, Dallas Warmack, Isaac Luatua
C: Ryan Kelly, J.C. Hassenauer, Brandon Kennedy
RG: Alphonse Taylor OR Bradley Bozeman, Richie Petibon
RT: Dominick Jackson, Brandon Greene, Matt Womack
TE: O.J.Howard OR Ty Flournoy-Smith, Michael Nysewander
TE: Dakota Ball, Hale Hentges
QB: Jake Coker OR Cooper Bateman OR Alec Morris OR Blake Barnett OR David Cornwell
RB: Derrick Henry, Kenyan Drake, Damien Harris
WR: Robert Foster OR Calvin Ridley, Deionte Thompson
WR: ArDarius Stewart, Daylon Charlot OR Cam Sims, Derek Kief
WR: Richard Mullaney OR Chris Black

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Bama :);)
http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2015/08/alabama_releases_2015_depth_ch.html

Offense

LT: Cam Robinson, Lester Cotton, Korren Kirven (questionable)
LG: Ross Pierschbacher, Dallas Warmack, Isaac Luatua
C: Ryan Kelly, J.C. Hassenauer, Brandon Kennedy
RG: Alphonse Taylor OR Bradley Bozeman, Richie Petibon
RT: Dominick Jackson, Brandon Greene, Matt Womack
TE: O.J.Howard OR Ty Flournoy-Smith, Michael Nysewander
TE: Dakota Ball, Hale Hentges
QB: Jake Coker OR Cooper Bateman OR Alec Morris OR Blake Barnett OR David Cornwell
RB: Derrick Henry, Kenyan Drake, Damien Harris
WR: Robert Foster OR Calvin Ridley, Deionte Thompson
WR: ArDarius Stewart, Daylon Charlot OR Cam Sims, Derek Kief
WR: Richard Mullaney OR Chris Black

Maybe they are good because they get to play 12 guys...

Reaction Score
I dont see anything wrong with what Whaler said. There's always a chance this year can be worse than last. What I got from his post is more of a concerned optimism at worst.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I don't think our offense will be worse than last year, but in no way can anyone be certain that it will be better as a whole. Certain positions seem to have improved, others not so much. I tend to agree with the camp that doesn't think the loss of G. Davis will hurt the offense that much because (as much as we'd all like to forget) he was not put in the right position by the coaching staff to be the huge help for our offense that he should've been. If he had a monster season and carried the O singlehandedly and it was up to our current bunch to replace that production, then I'd be worried.

Reaction Score
I come from the point of view, that things were so bad basically dead last in the country offensively in everything, that if they are worse you have to wonder why were paying this coach so much. TJ Weist had the offense moving the ball against teams equal to the lights of army, Tulane, and usf.

This is year two. We should be seeing the beginning stages of competent offensive game planning. Something we never saw last year when Casey went down. We lost some talented guys, but the guys here are on scholarship also.

If the offense is somehow worse than,the worst in the country, Diaco isn't the answer.

Reaction Score
I can say this, I will not be surprised either way. The optimism for me is the running back stable. I truly think Arkeel Newsome is going to be a big play threat, something we have truly lacked. Soften up the D with Ron Johnson and unleash Arkeel in space.

I have zero expectations for the passing game. Our tight end situation is especially worrisome.

Reaction Score
At TE Bloom made a really nice catch down the seam of the defense for a TD against Boise. Guys have to prove themselves all over again. And yes we lost some talented pieces on offense. But the offense was putrid and the team 2-10. I think the players on this roster can deliver better results than that with proper coaching.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
@noeynox I'd expect and hope for improvement, but all I'm hearing is we simply can't be worse then last season, well just because we were so awful, or it means Diaco isn't cut out to be the coach here.

I tend to not believe in Diaco but even I have to go into with realistic expectations on offense and give him a break. With QB being an unknown, new WR starters, new TEs and a poor line from last season, I don't expect improving to simply being a case of everyone being one year more seasoned, coach included.

A successful season to me is that we see improved line play, young guys are worked in at WR/TE/RB and that Shirreffs is better than say 33% of FBS QBs and shows improvement from game 1 to 12. A big one for me is Diaco doesn't leave me wondering wtf he's doing every single game.

I want to say this again, but as big of an embarassment as last season was, losing Casey was a crushing blow to a program that just couldn't withstand a loss like that.

So in a round about way, I'd like to think we could improve but a lot rest on Shirreffs who none of us have seen play much at all.

Reaction Score
Diaco got his breaks last year. He gets a 100 percent pass for last year. This year he has to start showing that he can coach and develop players toward being a competent product. Not for noeynox, but for the program that is losing season ticket holders at an alarming rate. I'm not expecting a bowl game, but damn it, put a product out there that doesn't have you wondering why you left the house after the 1st quarter.

This is two spring balls and two summer camps. Diaco has to start showing signs in year 2. Shirrefs is his hand picked guy.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't think our offense will be worse than last year, but in no way can anyone be certain that it will be better as a whole. Certain positions seem to have improved, others not so much. I tend to agree with the camp that doesn't think the loss of G. Davis will hurt the offense that much because (as much as we'd all like to forget) he was not put in the right position by the coaching staff to be the huge help for our offense that he should've been. If he had a monster season and carried the O singlehandedly and it was up to our current bunch to replace that production, then I'd be worried.

I'd give it a 2% chance worse and 98% chance better. The negativity here is amazing. Every position, every year, is an unknown. Peyton Manning might stink this year, and yes, those odds are higher than UConn being worse than last year.
The running game will be better, the QB play better, the OL line play better. The WR may not be better, but since we couldn't get them the ball reliably, the passing game will be better anyway. But all of that is irrelevant. If they simply reduce the turnovers and run and throw the same, they will be much improved.

Realistically my prediction for improvement is this: (a) much more effective running game + (b) reduced turnovers = (c) reduced ability of defense to come after QB every down and improved passing attack. And yes, I think the odds of Bryant being worse than Chandler are pretty much zero, but won't even factor that in.

Perfect Hair

I saw Diaco drinking a Pina Colada at Trader Vics
Reaction Score
@noeynox I'd expect and hope for improvement, but all I'm hearing is we simply can't be worse then last season, well just because we were so awful, or it means Diaco isn't cut out to be the coach here.

I tend to not believe in Diaco but even I have to go into with realistic expectations on offense and give him a break. With QB being an unknown, new WR starters, new TEs and a poor line from last season, I don't expect improving to simply being a case of everyone being one year more seasoned, coach included.

A successful season to me is that we see improved line play, young guys are worked in at WR/TE/RB and that Shirreffs is better than say 33% of FBS QBs and shows improvement from game 1 to 12. A big one for me is Diaco doesn't leave me wondering wtf he's doing every single game.

I want to say this again, but as big of an embarassment as last season was, losing Casey was a crushing blow to a program that just couldn't withstand a loss like that.

So in a round about way, I'd like to think we could improve but a lot rest on Shirreffs who none of us have seen play much at all.

A rational post, what is this board coming to!!!

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'd give it a 2% chance worse and 98% chance better. The negativity here is amazing. Every position, every year, is an unknown. Peyton Manning might stink this year, and yes, those odds are higher than UConn being worse than last year.
The running game will be better, the QB play better, the OL line play better. The WR may not be better, but since we couldn't get them the ball reliably, the passing game will be better anyway. But all of that is irrelevant. If they simply reduce the turnovers and run and throw the same, they will be much improved.

Realistically my prediction for improvement is this: (a) much more effective running game + (b) reduced turnovers = (c) reduced ability of defense to come after QB every down and improved passing attack. And yes, I think the odds of Bryant being worse than Chandler are pretty much zero, but won't even factor that in.

That's really your stance? Every year is an unknown? That's simply being wilfully ignorant of the situation.

Bryant Shirreffs is an absolute unknown because he's thrown 5 passes his whole career! Not because people are trying to be negative.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That's really your stance? Every year is an unknown? That's simply being wilfully ignorant of the situation.

Bryant Shirreffs is an absolute unknown because he's thrown 5 passes his whole career! Not because people are trying to be negative.

Not to mention the biggest risk is if he gets hurt. He's getting the benefit of the doubt from everyone including the 'negatives'.

Reaction Score
Shirreffs has that ever elusive and mysterious "IT" factor. I have confidence in his ability to lead this team to many victories--starting Thursday night.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Shirreffs has that ever elusive and mysterious "IT" factor. I have confidence in his ability to lead this team to many victories--starting Thursday night.

Are you going to the Tulane game, Nos?

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
BS was recently recognized as the #1 player of all time from Jefferson High School (since they started playing ball in 1947), and his younger brother is a 2015 Miami QB commit. Here's hoping big brother is something special for the Huskies, too!

http://cecilbuffington.com/catalog_50.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99