Welcome to UConn Azura Stevens (merged threads) | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Welcome to UConn Azura Stevens (merged threads)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Fans don't get to nickname players; their teams do. We go through this every time! Where is the collective memory?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Kim still manages to lose before the final four.

Yeah, but she didn't necessarily have the best team in the tournament either. Sometimes she can get caught up in the daily trials and tribulations of day-to-day coaching, and trying to get her team ready to play. Sometimes along the way, she can lose the ability to smell herself. I get all that. Sometimes you go up against a team that's just better than you are. UConn put the "smack down" on a lot of good teams over the last four years. I was very impressed with Mulkey's team this year.

I was shocked to see them lose to Oregon State, so were the bettors. That's why I don't gamble, because I would have lost BIG money on that one. I thought that honor was going to the UConn Huskies in the semis of the final four. I didn't think there was any team outside of UConn and Notre Dame that could beat Baylor. I didn't see that one coming. Neither did anyone else.

baggerbob - Let me share this observation.................Remember last year when Diana Taurasi said : "If you're going to beat UConn, you'd better do it THIS year. Next year, they're going to be almost impossible to beat". She was 100% correct!!! We all know how this year's team dominated the field en route to their 11th national championship. UConn's 2017-2018 team is shaping up to look the same way. If you've got aspirations of beating UConn (and getting a little pay back), you'd better do it THIS coming season. Playing the 2017 UConn team is not going to be a walk in the park.

Geno 's got some girls on this team that can play. The incoming freshmen will be sophomores, and players that had to take a step back while the BIG 3 took center stage and showcased their skills,
will now be taking center stage. Up to now, they haven't really had the chance to show what they can do on a full time basis. We only saw glimpses of their talent 2-4 minutes at a time.
This coming season, we'll get to see the "full Monty". I don't think the 2016 team will be as bad as some think. One more thing. The returning players on next year's team said they aren't conceding anything. ;)

Reaction Score
Fans don't get to nickname players; their teams do. We go through this every time! Where is the collective memory?
I think we're getting to the age where we just plain forgot where we put that collective memory....

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Notice that in her public statement that, while Azura said how happy she was to go to UConn, she didn't offer a single word of thanks for her two years at Duke? Often a transfer will at least pay lip service to the place she's leaving...This has to speak volumes about her experience there.
When her transfer from Duke was first announced several weeks ago, Azurá released a graciously worded statement that expressed her appreciation of her time at Duke. I don't think there was any need to retread that ground.

Reaction Score
This thread keeps getting longer and longer. Is it anywhere near a record? ( not counting the administrative threads at the beginning of the BY. ) What say you husky nan?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
A great entry, really: thanks. She may be kidding about blocking shots (she really isn't a shot blocker anyway!) as good as LeBron, but how about this for hobbies:
I enjoy writing poetry, reading and bike riding.

Well she averaged over 2 blocks per game.... she did have an 8 block game early in the season.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
This thread keeps getting longer and longer. Is it anywhere near a record? ( not counting the administrative threads at the beginning of the BY. ) What say you husky nan?
As far as this era of the Boneyard, you can do some sorts like that yourself.
If you look at the top of the Women's Basketball forum, you see the title bar (title, start date, replies, views, last message). You can sort the board on those columns by clicking on the column title you want. In the case you cite, if you click on the replies column header, it will sort with the threads with the most replies on top in descending order. By clicking on the title again it will reverse the sort. That works on any of the columns. The default that we are used to is to sort on last message.

Have fun with that. :)

Carnac

Reaction Score
Remember the old adage: "It's always darkest before dawn".

It was getting pretty "dark" around here. Five years of darkness, going on six. Why do I say that? Here's why. Who was the last post player (6'4"+) that UConn signed out of high school?
No post players committed in: '12, '13,'14,'15, 16 and so far none in the 2017 class. As of today, only 2 post players have committed to other programs in the 2017 class.

The last post player to commit to UConn out of high school was Kiah Stokes - class 2011. Dolson was the last Post player before her.
No post players in 5 years, I submit to you, that's dark!. I know we had the recruiting hook in the water for BIGS, we just could not get any bites. Thank goodness we got two transfers.
Note: Stewart was/is not a post player. Remember what the rest of the team said with respect to Stewie being referred to as a post player? They collectively said: (and I quote) "Stewie ain't no post".

If I have erred in my calculations/observations, please correct me.

Carnac

Reaction Score

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It was getting pretty "dark" around here. Five years of darkness, going on six. Why do I say that? Here's why. Who was the last post player (6'4"+) that UConn signed out of high school?
No post players committed in: '12, '13,'14,'15, 16 and so far none in the 2017 class. As of today, only 2 post players have committed to other programs in the 2017 class.

The last post player to commit to UConn out of high school was Kiah Stokes - class 2011. Dolson was the last Post player before her.
No post players in 5 years, I submit to you, that's dark!. I know we had the recruiting hook in the water for BIGS, we just could not get any bites. Thank goodness we got two transfers.
Note: Stewart was/is not a post player. Remember what the rest of the team said with respect to Stewie being referred to as a post player? They collectively said: (and I quote) "Stewie ain't no post".

If I have erred in my calculations/observations, please correct me.

I would say Kiah was not your traditional back to the basket post. Had she not pulled a Kelly Faris with her offensive game we would have seen that and how awesome that would have been. It's a new day in WCBB. The old fashion 5 is going the way of the DooDoo Bird, but tall 2,3,4,5 es...bring them on. KLS is a ball handle and we are about to get a freshman whose versatility will astound the ill informed.

Carnac

Reaction Score
How bout "Stevie"???

You guys need to quit, smh. I'm sure by the end of the loooong summer ahead of us, we'll figure out a name (or initials) for Azura here in the yard that will stick, we always do. :cool:

Reaction Score
Azura is going to find out how great and appreciative us UCONN fans are

Reaction Score
You guys need to quit, smh. I'm sure by the end of the loooong summer ahead of us, we'll figure out a name (or initials) for Azura here in the yard that will stick, we always do. :cool:

How about calling her what her team mates call her? We'll find out what that is soon enough.

Reaction Score
As far as this era of the Boneyard, you can do some sorts like that yourself.
If you look at the top of the Women's Basketball forum, you see the title bar (title, start date, replies, views, last message). You can sort the board on those columns by clicking on the column title you want. In the case you cite, if you click on the replies column header, it will sort with the threads with the most replies on top in descending order. By clicking on the title again it will reverse the sort. That works on any of the columns. The default that we are used to is to sort on last message.

Have fun with that. :)
thanks for that information...I realize that there have been plenty of long threads, but this volume in less than two days has been nothing short of amazing.

Reaction Score
Marines are like little brothers, to the Army. They start a fight, and we finish it!
I could counter that with facts---but personally I was Army, then Navy---and I respect all services and all who served. I was just trying to get some blood circulating (not real blood) by tweeking a few--by stating the FEW did the crap jobs first.

Reaction Score
Amazing how a summary will make something sound so different!

"UConn coach Geno Auriemma said Saturday that he normally doesn't get involved in transfer situations, but Stevens convinced him that Storrs would be the right place for her going forward."

Yes, leave it to the AP and the NCAA!

UConn women's basketball: Duke's Azura Stevens transfers to Huskies

You don't think Stevens has to convince Geno that UConn is the right place for her ? I would think this is a two-way interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom