Welcome Cameron Stapleton! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Welcome Cameron Stapleton!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You're missing the point. He's been making a big fuss about how Jamar Summers apparently said on twitter that he would talk to his parents about his recruitment if he got better offers. Sportsart has basically been saying that it's unethical and he's not honoring his commitment. Meanwhile the UConn coaching staff has been recruiting a kid committed to a different school. It goes both ways. If you're going to be angry at one, be angry at the other.

Got it. Thanks, I haven't been following the sub-plot.

Reaction Score
You guys are unreal Do you make it up as you go? My only problem with that kid who committed and his statement and I'm paraphrasing " I'm committed but will look if something better comes along". Then he blames a hacker? LOL

I never mentioned about him talking with his parents or having an issue with others schools still recruiting him.

Reading really is fundemental folks.

pj

Reaction Score
Sportsart, reading is fundamental. He said if something better comes along, I'll discuss it with my parents. You had a problem with it. What was your objection? To something better coming along for him, or to his discussing it with his parents? Or to something he never said?

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Jeez, get real. If Texas comes along you don't expect him to discuss it with his parents for 2 seconds before saying yeah I think I'll go there? We are his best offer at the moment and he clearly feels comfortable enough with us to verbal this early instead of waiting longer holding out hope for something else. But if something comes and blows him away (Texas/OU/Bama etc.) how can he not discuss it with his parents. Every commit we have would probably waver if Texas started pursuing them.

Reaction Score
Sportsart, reading is fundamental. He said if something better comes along, I'll discuss it with my parents. You had a problem with it. What was your objection? To something better coming along for him, or to his discussing it with his parents? Or to something he never said?

You and mets nailed it.

Reaction Score
You guys are just argumentative aren't you? You just commit to a school and then say if something better comes along?

Many many of our commits in the past say things like "I knew UConn was the right place.....I can't wait to get there....they've got a great program, etc., etc.

Almost immediately he says if something good comes along he'll talk to his parents...... (apparently "good" was the word used and not "better" ) So I guess we are not "good" hey?

Reaction Score

I guess we should expect all our commits to say if something good or better comes along they'll talk to their parents about it.

If we are not good enough don't commit and use us as a "just in case" school. Is that clear enough for you.

Reaction Score
I guess we should expect all our commits to say if something good or better comes along they'll talk to their parents about it.

If we are not good enough don't commit and use us as a "just in case" school. Is that clear enough for you.

We can take that attitude once we do more just win 8 games every few years.

pj

Reaction Score
Jeez, get real. If Texas comes along you don't expect him to discuss it with his parents for 2 seconds before saying yeah I think I'll go there? We are his best offer at the moment and he clearly feels comfortable enough with us to verbal this early instead of waiting longer holding out hope for something else. But if something comes and blows him away (Texas/OU/Bama etc.) how can he not discuss it with his parents. Every commit we have would probably waver if Texas started pursuing them.

Well, I for one would be upset if he or any other recruit dropped us for Bama/Texas/OU. I don't see why you or others think it should be a slam-dunk to say yes to some big-name school. Why? To share playing time with four or five 4* and 5* players at your position? The coaching and facilities are as good at UConn, the visibility is not bad, you can compete at a high level and go to the NFL. The only strong (football) reason to go to a big name school is (a) if you are the creme de la creme and expect to outcompete the other 4 and 5*s, or (b) you expect your career to end in college and want to have the name on your resume, or be a big man on a campus where football is idolized.

For someone who clearly isn't an elite player (yet) to favor such schools would tell me he has bad judgment at the least.

Reaction Score
Well, I for one would be upset if he or any other recruit dropped us for Bama/Texas/OU. I don't see why you or others think it should be a slam-dunk to say yes to some big-name school. Why? To share playing time with four or five 4* and 5* players at your position? The coaching and facilities are as good at UConn, the visibility is not bad, you can compete at a high level and go to the NFL. The only strong reason to go to a big name school is (a) if you are the creme de la creme and expect to outcompete the other 4 and 5*s, or (b) you expect your career to end in college and want to have the name on your resume, or be a big man on a campus where football is idolized.

For someone who clearly isn't an elite player (yet) to favor such schools would tell me he has bad judgment at the least.

Playing time isn't everything. I used to get pissed about how these kids made their decisions, but then I realized, who the hell am I to question how a kid who I don't even know goes about deciding where to attend college?

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I was just making a generalization for the sake of irritating someone who is incredibly invested in this argument. I don't care one way or another about what some High School Senior said on Twitter. And if he ends up going to Texas or UMass before stepping foot on UConn's campus then he was never a UConn football player so who the hell cares.

Reaction Score
Some good comments in a Staten Island newspaper:

- chose UConn "over Syracuse, which also heavily recruited the Port Richmond resident."

- "Their facility is unbelievable, something I really didn’t see at any other school."

- “They’re going to lose three defensive ends and two tight ends when the upcoming season is over,” Stapleton said. “I was really happy they gave me an opportunity to pick where I want to play because, usually, you go to a school and play where they recruited you."

http://highschoolsports.silive.com/...eps-cameron-stapleton-likes-options-at-uconn/

Reaction Score
Welcome Cameron! Glad to have you aboard with us. You made a great choice.

Reaction Score

>>Stapleton is a rare local loss for Syracuse, which has cleaned up in New York City since local product Doug Marrone took over the program. He liked Syracuse, but nothing like UConn.
Stapleton felt at home on the Storrs, Conn. campus and was in awe of the facilities, which he described as “beautiful.” One coach, who he didn’t name, said it was superior to many of the NFL franchises the coach has worked with.
“UConn has it right now,” Stapleton said.<<

Reaction Score
One of the big things that helped Stapleton decide was Uconn's dominance over Syacuse and Temple, he's noted that the last time the Cuse beat Uconn was in 2006.

Really happy this kid picked Uconn

Reaction Score
First off ... Welcome Cameron!!!

Next ... I think you guys are missing sportart's point. What a recruit says tells you a lot about their work ethic and level of commitment. If a recruit publicly wavers before signing day in hopes of receiving a better offer ... what if that offer never comes? Will he be disappointed he had to "settle" for UCONN? This is not a video game where you plug in players with ratings. These guys put in a lot of long hours in season and off season to prepare their bodies and minds for a pretty brutal sport. I'd rather have players with fewer stars and bigger hearts.

Reaction Score
GREAT CATCH! WELCOME!

Cam is from Staten Island(the Rock), the same neighborhood that #43 on our roster is from, good look for the 718.
He comes from a good family, very strict up bringing.
He is a gentleman, and a scholar, very good grades, and just as important is a high character guy.

Reaction Score
First off ... Welcome Cameron!!!

Next ... I think you guys are missing sportart's point. What a recruit says tells you a lot about their work ethic and level of commitment. If a recruit publicly wavers before signing day in hopes of receiving a better offer ... what if that offer never comes? Will he be disappointed he had to "settle" for UCONN? This is not a video game where you plug in players with ratings. These guys put in a lot of long hours in season and off season to prepare their bodies and minds for a pretty brutal sport. I'd rather have players with fewer stars and bigger hearts.

It says nothing about his work ethic. How did you come up with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom