mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Scout - Not rated - shows interest from Rutgers, Cuse and Temple
Rivals - 2* - show interest from Maryland, Rutgers and Vanderbilt
24/7 - 2*

2013 commit

Reaction Score
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TE from NY, very important pick up here!

Reaction Score
I'm seeing him unrated by Rivals, but I don't care. Welcome aboard young Mr. Stapleton.

TE or DE?

Reaction Score
I'm seeing him unrated by Rivals, but I don't care. Welcome aboard young Mr. Stapleton.

TE or DE?
He was offered by Syracuse and Temple and only BCS schools had him on their radar. That suffices.

Reaction Score
Nice. A NY recruit that chooses UCONN over Syracuse.

Methinks it won't be the last

Reaction Score
Nice. A NY recruit that chooses UCONN over Syracuse.

but what about all of the time zones, or Syracuse's ancient history, or that beautiful dump, I mean dome.

What a great pick up, this kid looks like he could be a big time receiving weapon.

Coach P is on fire this week!

Reaction Score
In before sportsart peruses his twitter page.

Grow up pal. I wouldn't even now how to find a kid's twitter account. The kid insulted the team and the program. I called him out.

Before you take a shot at someone get your story straight.

You might want to lurk for a while and learn how to respond to people's opinion and not look like an ignorant drunk college kid.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
welcome cam! hit him up on twitter!

Reaction Score
I trust the coaches know what they're doing, but I can't figure out the strategy here. I'm gonna assume Thompson is now a DE but what about our other targets like Fuchs and Joyner? Are we gonna stay on them or have their spots been filled?

Reaction Score
I trust the coaches know what they're doing, but I can't figure out the strategy here. I'm gonna assume Thompson is now a DE but what about our other targets like Fuchs and Joyner? Are we gonna stay on them or have their spots been filled?

I have absolutely no problem with the 3 "TE" commits so far and I am sure that there is still a spot open for Fuchs who has special size and ability. However, I do not think there is a TE spot open fo r Joyner, who's name has been around for a long time, but he has never been offerred.

The TE position has been razor thin at UConn as we watched the trio of Griffin, Delehunt and Manning grow through the years. The boards have seen TE as a recruiting priotity for years, but both Edsall and Pasq have had trouble getting decent TEs to commit. Edsall got McQuillan a few years ago and Pasq had to go the JC route with Shortell last year to fill the potential gap. Griffin and Delehunt are both Sr. and Shortell is a jr. Beyond that is McQuillan who in untested and Hannsen who was one of Edsall's OL projects who couldn't put on the weight. DeLeone has a 2 TE package that he wants to use and UConn needs players to do that. It is quite obvious that at least one and maybe 2 TE is this class will not have the option of redshirting next year.

In addition, athletes like Stapleton, Myers and Thompson certainly have the ability to shift to DE as needed. In fact, here is a quote from Stapleton's Rival's offer article where the idea of playing DE is discussed: "Then we called the UConn coach. It was great. He told me I can play either tight end or defensive end. They will both be open and I was very excited."

Hopefully the commit of Stapleton, a Brooklyn kid, will help in landing Leray Smith who is also from Brooklyn.

pj

Reaction Score

(A) We're going to a two TE offense like the Patriots, we need more tight ends, and the roster is woefully short, so there's a ton of room. Two of these TEs could be starters as frosh. (B) We're seeking athletic TEs who can play WR or FB, or who can play on defense if they lose the TE competition. These aren't one-dimensional players.

It may be they're recruiting the best athletes they can for offense, creating competition on the offensive side and letting the losers of that competition shift to defense. It's certainly the quickest way to re-stock the offense, if you miss on one recruit you have another who can step up. If you believe that offense is what draws fans and excites recruits, and leads to success in college fball, then it's a good strategy. The fast-rising programs, like Oregon and Boise and Wisconsin, have had dynamic offenses. No second-tier program has risen to top 10 levels by focusing on defense.

I think they're also emphasizing extreme skills in receivers -- either extreme height with leaping ability (Fuchs) or extreme speed (Bradley) -- to get an edge. Height is very important, especially in the red zone. These athletic TE types can play all over the field.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
when we missed on oneil not to long ago i was getting worried about the te spot, now i can't wait to see the next one we get lol.

as far as a frosh playing right away at te, fuchs may be the best 1 for that.

Reaction Score
when we missed on oneil not to long ago i was getting worried about the te spot, now i can't wait to see the next one we get lol.

as far as a frosh playing right away at te, fuchs may be the best 1 for that.

Any good news on Fuchs HfD? Although we show 3 TE commits so far one or two could very well end up a DE.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Any good news on Fuchs HfD? Although we show 3 TE commits so far one or two could very well end up a DE.
i have reached out but haven't got a response yet...

Reaction Score
Grow up pal. I wouldn't even now how to find a kid's twitter account. The kid insulted the team and the program. I called him out.

Before you take a shot at someone get your story straight.

You might want to lurk for a while and learn how to respond to people's opinion and not look like an ignorant drunk college kid.

LOL. Sorry I don't have a delusional and antiquated view on how college football recruiting actually works. UConn is currently recruiting a player who is committed to UMass. Why aren't you ripping the UConn staff for that?

And btw, "ignorant drunk college kid"? That's the best you can come up with? Really?

Reaction Score
. UConn is currently recruiting a player who is committed to UMass. Why aren't you ripping the UConn staff for that?

I don't see the logic in this statement. Victor Cruz and a number of other NFL players committed to UMASS at some point.

UCONN has had kids who were walk-ons make it to the NFL and we have had 4 star recruits do nothing for the team. If the coaches like the kids talent they should go after him.

Reaction Score
I don't see the logic in this statement. Victor Cruz and a number of other NFL players committed to UMASS at some point.

UCONN has had kids who were walk-ons make it to the NFL and we have had 4 star recruits do nothing for the team. If the coaches like the kids talent they should go after him.

You're missing the point. He's been making a big fuss about how Jamar Summers apparently said on twitter that he would talk to his parents about his recruitment if he got better offers. Sportsart has basically been saying that it's unethical and he's not honoring his commitment. Meanwhile the UConn coaching staff has been recruiting a kid committed to a different school. It goes both ways. If you're going to be angry at one, be angry at the other.

pj

Reaction Score

He agrees with you. Sportsart objected to Jamar Summers saying he would discuss any new offers with his parents, instead of saying he was irrevocably committed to UConn. Johnhuskies95 notes that UConn coaches are willing to continue recruiting kids who have committed elsewhere (and indeed other coaches recruit ours, thus two decommits so far this year), so no one is acting as if commitments are irrevocable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom