Week 1 Ranking of the NNBE | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Week 1 Ranking of the NNBE

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
so you think when the new TV deal is being negotiated PITT and Cuse will somehow factor into the equation?

Dude, slow your roll and try to follow along. NOBODY is talking about the tv contract negotiations. What we are talking about is rankings, bowl placement, and perception in the nation. What I'm telling you is that SyraPitt's losses WILL COUNT AGAINST THE BIG EAST!! Whether you like it or not (I don't), whether you think it's fair or not (I don't), or even whether you agree or not, that is what it is. Life isn't fair, and we in the Big East know that better than anyone. Did you even watch the video???

If anyone needs me to explain how strength of schedule affects UConn and the Big East, I'll be happy to start a new thread on the subject...

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Dude, slow your roll and try to follow along. NOBODY is talking about the tv contract negotiations. What we are talking about is rankings, bowl placement, and perception in the nation. What I'm telling you is that SyraPitt's losses WILL COUNT AGAINST THE BIG EAST!! Whether you like it or not (I don't), whether you think it's fair or not (I don't), or even whether you agree or not, that is what it is. Life isn't fair, and we in the Big East know that better than anyone. Did you even watch the video???

If anyone needs me to explain how strength of schedule affects UConn and the Big East, I'll be happy to start a new thread on the subject...

Dan I gotta agree with metsfan on this one, why does it matter what people think of us when all that matters in getting a tv deal done? Yeah, it ticks me off hearing that crap that Gilmore was spouting out and I may have said a few expletives, but what else is new? It won't matter what he says because the only thing the BE needs to worry about right now is where the TV deal will come from. Like metsfan said, NBC won't be looking at Syracuse or Pitt when they consider the offer. ESPN can say whatever they want but in the end, does it really matter? The country already has their opinion and honestly, that little $**tshow by Gilmore won't do much to change it.

I know the original intent of the video was not in regards to the TV deal but what was the point of it? It just reinforces what the country already feels about the Big East and when Syracuse and Pitt go to the ACC and blow then people can make their opinions on that. Honestly, I've stopped caring about what ESPN says in regards to teams that are no longer in the conference.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Dan I gotta agree with metsfan on this one, why does it matter what people think of us when all that matters in getting a tv deal done? Yeah, it ticks me off hearing that crap that Gilmore was spouting out and I may have said a few expletives, but what else is new? It won't matter what he says because the only thing the BE needs to worry about right now is where the TV deal will come from. Like metsfan said, NBC won't be looking at Syracuse or Pitt when they consider the offer. ESPN can say whatever they want but in the end, does it really matter? The country already has their opinion and honestly, that little $**tshow by Gilmore won't do much to change it.

I know the original intent of the video was not in regards to the TV deal but what was the point of it? It just reinforces what the country already feels about the Big East and when Syracuse and Pitt go to the ACC and blow then people can make their opinions on that. Honestly, I've stopped caring about what ESPN says in regards to teams that are no longer in the conference.

Okay, let me take this step by step, because it seems clear that I'm not being clear.

1) National perception not only drives a part of the tv negotiations (which I'm trying to avoid for simplicity of argument), but it most certainly drives the Top25 ranking assessments and the BCS points. You do realize how the latter two things would affect UConn, either positively or adversly, right?

2) National perception will continue to shape the discussion of who plays in the newly devised playoff system as well as continue to shape the discussion of what bowls the conference champions play in. Also, strength of schedule will help to shape those things as well.

Again, I don't like that this affects us. I really wish that Syracuse and Pitt just paid a little extra to get out of the league this year like WVU did, assuming we could get an extra 2 games each (or treat their games like OOC games). This way, their failures would have the ACC patch on their top left shoulders. But unfortunately they are still carrying the Big East banner on those shoulders, and they still affect the conference statistics.

Let me put it another way; God forbid that either Syracuse or Pitt wins our conference, do you believe that their OOC losses won't affect us as a league???

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
As far as ESPN is concerned, every possible thing that can be used to criticize the Big East will come vomiting out of the mouth of its game and studio crews. Gilmore actually said, during his diatribe against the Big East, that Kentucky had momentum against Louisville and if Louisville didn't get the next first down it could be bad for the perception of the Big East. The score at the time was 25-7.

Pitt and Syracuse losing is bad for the Big East because they are still in the league. Pitt and Syracuse winning is bad for the Big East because those are the two marquee programs and the Big East will be losing them. Boise State losing is bad for the Big East because losing on the road to Michigan State is a bad loss. Memphis losing is bad for the Big East because the Big East is apparently counting on Memphis to carry the league. UConn only winning 37-0 is bad for the Big East because they didn't score more. UConn winning 37-0 is bad for the Big East because UConn isn't fooling anyone running up the score on UMass.

If you can find a way to turn any piece of information against the Big East, you too can be on camera talent for ESPN.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Pitt and Syracuse losing is bad for the Big East because they are still in the league. Pitt and Syracuse winning is bad for the Big East because those are the two marquee programs and the Big East will be losing them.

I understand this dichotomy, Nelson. But in which scenario is UConn directly affected? Right, the one where they lose, because our ability to be a ranked team is affected. Our ability to obtain more BCS points is affected. The computers are affected. THAT is my point. I'm not sure why people are struggling to understand this...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I understand this dichotomy, Nelson. But in which scenario is UConn directly affected? Right, the one where they lose, because our ability to be a ranked team is affected. Our ability to obtain more BCS points is affected. The computers are affected. THAT is my point. I'm not sure why people are struggling to understand this...

While the Big East perception is going to potentially hurt whoever wins the league - I don't know if it's a big deal. None of these Big East teams are getting to the BCS championship even if they go 12-0.

None of them are going 12-0 anyway, it's sort of like worrying about not having a good dinner reservation for a date with Kate Upton. I'd worry about having the date before where I'm going to dinner.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
While the Big East perception is going to potentially hurt whoever wins the league - I don't know if it's a big deal. None of these Big East teams are getting to the BCS championship even if they go 12-0.

None of them are going 12-0 anyway, it's sort of like worrying about not having a good dinner reservation for a date with Kate Upton. I'd worry about having the date before where I'm going to dinner.

Whether or not you believe that someone will go 12-0 in the Big East does not change the fact that it benefits the Big East champion to have a better BCS finish this year. That is what brings respect. That is what brings viewership, which eventually translates into bringing money. And that BCS finish is partially governed by the SOS. Whether we like it or not, SyraPitt winning does more for us than their losing. We can root like hell for them to lose next year, when we don't play them.

Here is a perfect analogy; I was rooting for NCState to beat Tennessee. It wasn't because I like them, and I certainly want them to lose by at least 50 points this coming week, but I know that their winning increases UConn's computer points and credibility. Period.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Okay, let me take this step by step, because it seems clear that I'm not being clear.

1) National perception not only drives a part of the tv negotiations (which I'm trying to avoid for simplicity of argument), but it most certainly drives the Top25 ranking assessments and the BCS points. You do realize how the latter two things would affect UConn, either positively or adversly, right?

2) National perception will continue to shape the discussion of who plays in the newly devised playoff system as well as continue to shape the discussion of what bowls the conference champions play in. Also, strength of schedule will help to shape those things as well.

Again, I don't like that this affects us. I really wish that Syracuse and Pitt just paid a little extra to get out of the league this year like WVU did, assuming we could get an extra 2 games each (or treat their games like OOC games). This way, their failures would have the ACC patch on their top left shoulders. But unfortunately they are still carrying the Big East banner on those shoulders, and they still affect the conference statistics.

Let me put it another way; God forbid that either Syracuse or Pitt wins our conference, do you believe that their OOC losses won't affect us as a league???

I'll respond by points.

1) You seriously don't think our national perception isn't going to already take a hit by bringing in Temple this year and Memphis next year? I don't see how Syracuse/Pitt really do anything to truly damage that anymore considering a TV deal would not include them in the league. As for the Top 25 and BCS crap, it's all going away in another year and the NBE won't be changing any national perception for awhile anyway so who cares Syracuse/Pitt's loses impact.

2) You're spot on in this but how Syracuse and Pitt perform THIS year aren't going to impact a playoff system that doesn't go into affect for another TWO years. You truly think that in TWO years the NBE will be criticized b/c Pitt lost to Youngstown St in 2012?? I couldn't even tell you any bad loses by any other BE team from 2 years ago.

My overall point is that the NBE will be defined on it's own next season and beyond. Whatever Pitt/Syracuse do now is null and void in two years. No one remembers. The BE has a BCS bid for the next two years no matter what. That's not changing. So we can be as upset as we want for how unfair it is that SyraPitt's (it's so much easier writing that) loses count against us and not the ACC but in the end, how much will it truly matter. ESPN is hell bent on destroying the BE in every way, shape, and form. The best thing we can hope for is having a team or two dominate the conference and go to a BCS game and win big. Then pray that that team doesn't abandon the conference like WVU did last year!

I totally agree with you that it will be a slap in the face and the worst case scenario to have Syracuse or Pitt win the BCS bid this year.

Reaction Score
Here is a perfect analogy; I was rooting for NCState to beat Tennessee. It wasn't because I like them, and I certainly want them to lose by at least 50 points this coming week, but I know that their winning increases UConn's computer points and credibility. Period.

We don't recruit against NC State. NC State is not claiming to be NY's team. If you want to root for Cuse to upset USC you should do that, I'm pretty sure coach P would prefer USC to win.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Whether or not you believe that someone will go 12-0 in the Big East does not change the fact that it benefits the Big East champion to have a better BCS finish this year. That is what brings respect. That is what brings viewership, which eventually translates into bringing money. And that BCS finish is partially governed by the SOS. Whether we like it or not, SyraPitt winning does more for us than their losing. We can root like hell for them to lose next year, when we don't play them.

It's too late to impact the next TV contract beyond the last second addition of BYU. They are selling it on markets and upside anyway, not on the current quality of football because half the teams don't currently deserve coverage on local public access.

Syracuse and Pitt winning is a double edged sword. Helps the league in the computers this year but adds to the argument they are a loss worth caring about.

If UConn wins the league they go to the Orange Bowl. If anyone cares about respect, it takes 2 things - 25,000 people in Miami and UConn beating whatever ACC lamb they send in for slaughter. A handful of points in computer rankings pales in comparison to those two things.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Oh dear God. Okay, people. The best way to end this debate is the following: root for whomever you wish to, since rooting for someone doesn't change the outcome. I'm just stating what outcome is better for UConn and the Big East, that's all. The strength of schedule argument is non-negotiable by the way, because it is exactly what goes into the computer rankings and into the pollsters' minds, etc. And Syracuse's wins OOC would not help them win the recruiting battles in NYC over us if we end up being the Big East BCS representative, right?? I am assuming that everyone is still rooting for us to beat Syracuse for the umpteenth time in a row, correct?

Okay, I'm checking out of this argument, now...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The odds of turning 5 more turds into gold are not any less unlikely just because you turned four turds into gold.

Of course, the odds are less unlikely. If something had never been done once, the odds would be more unlikely. The fact that something has been done and repeated makes it more likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom