We need to start playing in Boston. Football and Basketball. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

We need to start playing in Boston. Football and Basketball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Do you mean Northeastern has sucked badly?

no, northeastern has always sucked. in the last couple years BU and Harvard hockey has fallen off a cliff. Its been BC and no one in boston. Umass-lowell, UNH etc have been only competitors to BC in HE

Reaction Score
Programs like Union, and Providence, and North Dakota, etc...aren't going to be big city draws so there is no pull to put the money it would take into hosting the event in a venue like MSG.

The Frozen Four event can pretty much promise a sold out NHL-size arena year after year, regardless of who plays in it; there's quite a large number of "hardcore" college hockey fans out there who make it their yearly pilgrimage.

Were the FF to be hosted at MSG, MSG would sell out. Even if it ended up being Merrimack, Union, Ferris State and Alaska-Anchorage.

Reaction Score
Doubleheader with Notre Dame men and women. That would generate interest

Reaction Score
I agree that UConn can offer a unique product, a college team that is relevant in Boston (TV market #7) and NYC (TV Market #1). The only other college program that can try to offer both is ND. BC is known a little in NJ due to football recruiting at the Catholic schools; but, that's it. Syracuse, which is only 75 miles further from Boston than NYC, is nothing in Boston.

That said, just remember its Boston. If a several miracles happened at once and UConn was playing BC for the ACC title at the Garden with the score tied, 10 seconds left, and BC had the ball, Boston TV stations would cut away for a breaking news story. Papi was seen in Back Bay sneezing, the Red Sox are doomed!

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Exactly. THe only reason that UCONN gets involved with something like that, is if we're in control of the scheduling. UMass, Harvard, UConn, Holy Cross, Boston College, any other southern new England program - plays an invitational type tournament at the location that UCONN determines, and the civic center or Webster arena - or Gampel is where it should get played. We are not in a position of scheduling weakness in new England.

As for the rest. Yes - I'm a New York leaner, and it's not smart to alienate the NY or the Boston g., but it is smart to divvy up the priorities appropriately.

It's not about weakness...any more than playing in MSG is about weakness. It's about building a following in NY and Boston...to do that, you play there. Playing Boston teams in Hartford does nothing. The Celtics used to play several games in Hartford to extend their effective market. Same concept.

Reaction Score
I'm an alumni living in boston and would go to either a football or basketball event. There are a ton of UConn alumni that live in the Boston area and it's obviously an easy road trip for students and many in Connecticut.

I'd also like to point out that if I was able to subscribe to the BIG 10 TV network either through cable or to stream from the internet through something like chromecast, than I would pay for that. I know others would as well. Die hard fans of UConn basketball around the country can generate a lot of revenue and exposure for the BIG 10 network without forcing people into purchasing it like they are doing through Rutgers.

Reaction Score
I love the idea of playing Providence at the Boston Garden. That would certainly garner some interest.

This is not a zero sum game. Playing in Boston has nothing to do with playing in New York. We should do both. For recruiting sake if nothing else. Boston produces lots of excellent high school basketball players.

Being relevant in Boston is a plus. It is a top ten media market. Ignoring it because of the Sox, Pats, Bs and Celts is cutting off your nose to spite your face. The sixth most popular team in Boston is like being the most popular team in Greenville, NC or Columbisa SC. They have TV sets in Boston, millions of them. Playing UMass at Foxboro would be like a home game for he Huskies. And once again improve our position on the Boston sports pages.

Bottom line, we should be doing EVERYTHING possible to increase our national profile. Reaching out to both New York and Boston just makes sense. Ignoring Boston does not.

Reaction Score
It's not about weakness...any more than playing in MSG is about weakness. It's about building a following in NY and Boston...to do that, you play there. Playing Boston teams in Hartford does nothing. The Celtics used to play several games in Hartford to extend their effective market. Same concept.

Disagree. Playing home games is about money. There is no reason (especially now with the current conference situation) to be giving up any potential revenue whatsoever. The only reason to play a basketball game anywhere in New England other than in an event deemed HOME for UCONN for revenue purposes would be if it were a conference basketball game. That's not the case. I agree with your points about spreading the exposure and product, and if UCONN would get home game rights to schedule a local invitation tournament or something in the TD Garden or the Dunkin Donuts arena - that's fine. Otherwise - no deal.

Madison square garden is a different situation. scheduling big 10 opponents in the garden and giving up home game revenue rights for a neutral site game (for revenue purposes) is a good idea - scheduling ACC opponents like Duke or NC or Syracuse for a neutral or away site game is a good idea - those tickets will sell for UCONN.

Giving up home game rights to any basketball program in New England? Sorry - I just don't see it happening from Manuel. If we can get home game rights as noted, I think it would be a fantastic idea. When the Celts played in the civic center - I was at the game where Bird hit the shot over the backboard falling out of bounds......who do you think controlled the revenue?

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Programs like Union, and Providence, and North Dakota, etc...aren't going to be big city draws so there is no pull to put the money it would take into hosting the event in a venue like MSG.
The kids around here? Are you kidding? They LOVE big-time college hockey.

Reaction Score
The kids around here? Are you kidding? They LOVE big-time college hockey.

High school hockey in Mass is like high school football in Jersey, especially from a recruiting standpoint among the Catholics; but, it is not as big as high school hockey in Minnesota. Of course, everyone knows hockey in the Boston is big because there is at least one fatality a year when year as a result of two fathers getting into a fight. :(

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Boston produces lots of excellent high school basketball players.
This can't be stressed enough. Over the last five years, Boston has produced as much top-level talent as any city except Chicago, NY and LA:

Oriakhi
Shabazz
Georges Niang
Michael Carter-Williams
Nerlens Noel
Naadir Tharpe
Noah Vonleh
Kaleb Joseph
Abdul-Malik Abu
Goodluck Okonoboh

On that list are two Final Four heroes, a future NBA draft pick, the probable NBA rookie of the year, a guy who'll be in the running for next year's rookie of the year, a starting PG for a blue blood perennial contender, a one-and-done high lottery pick this coming draft, and three top-50 recruits that we wanted, but went elsewhere just this season.

And here's the thing: the basketball talent in Massachusetts is still getting better. The class of 2015 is good, the class of 2016 is a little bit down, but the class of 2017 is supposed to be spectacular. We're recruiting multiple Massachusetts targets from each group, and we've already had two class of 2018 kids on campus for a visit (which is insane, but that's college sports).

Boston will never be as important to us as NYC is. But it's a lot more important than it was 10 years ago, and if we have a chance to paint it Husky blue, we need to take it.

To say nothing, by the way, for how important recruiting Massachusetts will be for our hockey, baseball, soccer and - to a lesser extent - football programs.

Reaction Score
This can't be stressed enough. Over the last five years, Boston has produced as much top-level talent as any city except Chicago, NY and LA:

Oriakhi
Shabazz
Georges Niang
Michael Carter-Williams
Nerlens Noel
Naadir Tharpe
Noah Vonleh
Kaleb Joseph
Abdul-Malik Abu
Goodluck Okonoboh

On that list are two Final Four heroes, a future NBA draft pick, the probable NBA rookie of the year, a guy who'll be in the running for next year's rookie of the year, a starting PG for a blue blood perennial contender, a one-and-done high lottery pick this coming draft, and three top-50 recruits that we wanted, but went elsewhere just this season.

And here's the thing: the basketball talent in Massachusetts is still getting better. The class of 2015 is good, the class of 2016 is a little bit down, but the class of 2017 is supposed to be spectacular. We're recruiting multiple Massachusetts targets from each group, and we've already had two class of 2018 kids on campus for a visit (which is insane, but that's college sports).

Boston will never be as important to us as NYC is. But it's a lot more important than it was 10 years ago, and if we have a chance to paint it Husky blue, we need to take it.

To say nothing, by the way, for how important recruiting Massachusetts will be for our hockey, baseball, soccer and - to a lesser extent - football programs.

....and some of the best names to boot.

pj

Reaction Score

Yes, but how does playing games in Boston help us recruit them? Connecticut is close enough for them to visit repeatedly, we're still the dominant New England program.

I don't mind special events in Boston, if Notre Dame wanted to play there in a one-off (not our side of a home and home) we could do an event. But I wouldn't play a home game there.

Reaction Score
That doesn't mean playing at BCU. They are irrelevant.

I mean we need to play a game in Boston Garden. And I wouldn't mind playing UMass at Foxboro. There are any number for teams, Northeastern, Boston University, we could play in the Boston Garden. Just a 90 minute drive from campus. Do they have a December Classic in the city?

We just need to invade the market. Get the Boston press talking about us. Or in the words of the great Kevin Ollie "planting seeds."

I agree that it would be nice to play a game in Boston once in awhile, but Boston media (esp. tv and radio) gives us hardly anything. We're not going to be invited to a conference because of our ability to draw in the Boston market, which is really a pro market. Heck no one even cares about BC up there and we saw what a disaster UMass football became trying to play games in Foxboro. A game in Foxboro against anyone but BC or ND would be a bust. NYC market is really where we need to be.

Reaction Score
I agree that NYC is a lot more important to UConn that Boston. Beantown, even more than NYC, is a pro town and it is dominated by the Red Sox, then the Pats, and finally the Celtics and Bruins. Still, UConn can offer a sahre of both markets, which is unique.

A UConn v. ND neutral site double-header at the Garden for both basketball teams would get fan interest in Boston, at least for a day. Could even throw in a hockey game the next day. Plus, it would be entertaining to watch the fire and brimstone rising up from Chestnut Hill if that was ever to happen.

Reaction Score

Bringing this back to what's really important, Boston in particular (and Massachusetts in general) is home to our highest concentration and number of out-of-state students and alumni. We literally have thousands of students who are from the commonwealth, and tens of thousands of alumni in the commonwealth.

This makes a lot of sense, and not only for athletics.

Reaction Score
Good ideas but what about Uconn vs Duke at the Boston Garden. Two big time teams( both men and women) and I bet the locals cheer for us cus it's the lesser of two evils.

Reaction Score
I don't think UConn would be welcome at TD Garden absent playing a game against that Jesuit school in Newton. Charlie Jacobs runs his father's Boston operations and he's an alum of said institution.

Reaction Score
Partly true, but NY isn't any different. It's just so big that there are enough people for any kind of event. Both are pro sports towns. UConn being in Hockey East will help. CT sometimes cozies up to NY and distances itself from New England. Hockey East is thoroughly New England, and joining in with BC, BU, UMass, UVM, UNH, Maine, PC, etc. will improve our perception.
I lived in NYC, a decade or so ago though, and currently live in Boston. There is no comparing the two.

I have never lived in a place where people cared less about college sports. Even big sports fan could not tell you who is #1 in the country in basketball or football. Getting them to watch it is basically impossible.

Reaction Score
UCONN is the major, top, public university in all of New England. No question, no doubt. We are a hell of a lot closer to Penn State as a peer, than we are to any other public institution in the entire region. The difference in the northeast culture, the northeast corridor in general from DC to Boston, from the rest of the country when it comes to intercollegiate athletics is that there are so, so, so many private colleges. The exact number of private colleges that field division 1 sports of some sort from DC to Boston I'm estimated to be numbered in 100s. Among those private colleges is the entire Ivy League.

UCONN needs to embrace what we are, and promote it. Boston is a great place to go and play sports. It's really nothing more than fear and loathing, that has prevented us in the past decade from regularly scheduling Boston College, which is the only comparable division 1A institution (in label) in the area - they are nothing like us other than the 1A label in reality)

Scheduling basketball, unless it's a conference game, which isn't happening, in Boston should be entertained as home games for UCONN, as it was in 2007 when we lost to Gonzaga. Scheudling basketball anywhere in New England, should be done with UCONN in control of the issues. That's my only point in all of this. I have not said that I am against, and once again I am not against playing basketball, or football in Boston. I'm against doing it stupidly.

As for New York City - it's an entirely different community and demographic than Boston, and it behooves us greatly for a number of reasons, to put priority on scheduling as many events as we can in the city, and preferably against Big 10 opponents, who - like us - have tens of thousands of alumni in the close proximity of the 5 boroughs. (I'm not sure about the claim made before about Massachuseets having the most alumni outside of CT - I know that there are something like 22-25,000 alumni in the immediate 5 borough area.)

Anyway - it's my opinion - that given a priority choice of scheduling hoops - scheduling big 10 opponents in MSG (and playing an invite tournament vs. say Indiana, Mich St, Wisconsin - in MSG) takes priority over playing any group of NE programs in Boston - even if it's neutral site in MSG.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
As for New York City - it's an entirely different community and demographic than Boston, and it behooves us greatly for a number of reasons, to put priority on scheduling as many events as we can in the city, and preferably against Big 10 opponents, who - like us - have tens of thousands of alumni in the close proximity of the 5 boroughs. (I'm not sure about the claim made before about Massachuseets having the most alumni outside of CT - I know that there are something like 22-25,000 alumni in the immediate 5 borough area.)

I think the claim above was "highest concentration". That makes sense to me. I'm sure Boston has a higher percentage of UConn alumns than NYC does, even if the actual number or people is smaller (and it may not be).

I'll admit, this is self serving for me in part, but living outside Boston, I'm not traveling to NY for games. Would never happen. Boston, I wouldn't miss a game if it was played there (just as I went to every road game in Providence). As has been pointed out, this isn't a zero sum game. The idea instead is to schedule key games in NY and in Boston. Maybe UMass would play us in Boston (or Worcester) and in Harford, as a home and home. I'd take that (I wouldn't give them a game in Amherst). There is no lack of games here. We have to beef up our non-confernece basketball schedule, and drop the cupcakes. So the days when we could play lots of bad local teams at home are over, we're going to have more road games via home-home series if we're going to get our scheduling up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom