We Need a Big man coach | The Boneyard

We Need a Big man coach

Reaction Score
After losing Hobbs to Rutgers it's pretty clear that we should now strengthen our staff to better prepare our front Mt court players. We are soft as Charmin in the middle. No clue how to consistently defend, rebound.... no consistency. We need more coaching Balance. We have talent down low but those kids' play are unacceptable. We need to hire somebody to help there, as well as recruit, and send another Coach packing.

We won 4 National Championships so the standard is now set and must be maintained. Geno's WBB squad can't carry the entire burden of success for our athletic department.

Reaction Score
Yes, we need a big man coach.

But many will argue that we don't.

Reaction Score
Broken record, all the BS is coming out because we lost a recruit.

"Donut in the middle", "soft" all words heard from UConn fans during some of the Calhoun years also. Karl Hobbs was suddenly a good big mans coach? Who did he coach in the front court that makes you believe this and how do you know? And according to many idiots here "he's too small to be a big mans coach" so how did he get this done?

"Talent down low" - you're kidding me right. Get a grip bust KO's balls for recruiting guys who don't understand the game but not for the inability to teach the likes of Brimah and Facey please, that's unfair!

You think Tacko Fall had some great BIG mans coach? No he listened and was smart enough to take it to the court and learn through the process of playing freakin basketball. Same with this kid at the % for Penn State I watched yesterday, red shirt freshman, is really good understands the game stays straight up on defense no stupid fouls and also knows how to roll to the basket and catch the ball on offense. Our guys can hardly do this 4 years later, if you're a basketball player at all you improve just by playing. AB hasn't improved enough to even think he ever comprehended anything he was taught and I promise he's been taught a lot despite the idiots who think he hasn't.

Reaction Score
We don't (shucks, can't) currently have a coach that is working with our bags on the nuances of knowing their role in a backcourt dominated system. At least when we won I 2011 & 2014 our bags accepted their roles of banging down low on both ends. Our bags aren't physical enough for the most part. Just being out hustled/ out muscled way too mucheap. Every once in awhile should they expect to be ready to do a post move on O. While most of the time should be about manning the middle on both ends in terms of rebounding (primarily) on both ends, preparing to Block shots, Take charges (on D) , and get put backs. Keep it simple for them.
Not enough attention to detail in practice it appears, to go along with youth.
Even with the 3 guys out for the year we have enough to be much better than what our record indicates.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Broken record, all the BS is coming out because we lost a recruit.

"Donut in the middle", "soft" all words heard from UConn fans during some of the Calhoun years also. Karl Hobbs was suddenly a good big mans coach? Who did he coach in the front court that makes you believe this and how do you know? And according to many idiots here "he's too small to be a big mans coach" so how did he get this done?

"Talent down low" - you're kidding me right. Get a grip bust KO's balls for recruiting guys who don't understand the game but not for the inability to teach the likes of Brimah and Facey please, that's unfair!

You think Tacko Fall had some great BIG mans coach? No he listened and was smart enough to take it to the court and learn through the process of playing freakin basketball. Same with this kid at the % for Penn State I watched yesterday, red shirt freshman, is really good understands the game stays straight up on defense no stupid fouls and also knows how to roll to the basket and catch the ball on offense. Our guys can hardly do this 4 years later, if you're a basketball player at all you improve just by playing. AB hasn't improved enough to even think he ever comprehended anything he was taught and I promise he's been taught a lot despite the idiots who think he hasn't.
Can't even bust him for bad recruiting. He did get the 2nd or 3rd best center with Brown and then the kid got in trouble. Durham was behind Gabriel in many rankings until he got hurt. These are things coaches can't control.

Same with the need to recruit Kentan, Steve and Amidah. They were recruits that a handicapped staff (apr sanctions) were forced to take.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
We need a big man coach who can stay away from the prostitutes. You'd think there's someone out there who fits the bill.

Reaction Score
Can't even bust him for bad recruiting. He did get the 2nd or 3rd best center with Brown and then the kid got in trouble. Durham was behind Gabriel in many rankings until he got hurt. These are things coaches can't control.

Same with the need to recruit Kentan, Steve and Amidah. They were recruits that a handicapped staff (apr sanctions) were forced to take.

Recruiting Facey and Brimah was not the problem.

Failing to recruit over them was the problem.

And Enoch was just brought in last year, same class as Adams. Sanctions not an excuse anymore.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
We don't (shucks, can't) currently have a coach that is working with our bags on the nuances of knowing their role in a backcourt dominated system. At least when we won I 2011 & 2014 our bags accepted their roles of banging down low on both ends. Our bags aren't physical enough for the most part. Just being out hustled/ out muscled way too mucheap. Every once in awhile should they expect to be ready to do a post move on O. While most of the time should be about manning the middle on both ends in terms of rebounding (primarily) on both ends, preparing to Block shots, Take charges (on D) , and get put backs. Keep it simple for them.
Not enough attention to detail in practice it appears, to go along with youth.
Even with the 3 guys out for the year we have enough to be much better than what our record indicates.

After tomorrows practice would you please give us a breakdown of what was covered - based on your accusations you obviously are there everyday
Thanks

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Recruiting Facey and Brimah was not the problem.

Failing to recruit over them was the problem.

And Enoch was just brought in last year, same class as Adams. Sanctions not an excuse anymore.
Sanctions were still in play in that the coaching staff was still hampered by hours they could contact players and by the head start other coaches had in the recruiting process. And when they finally were able to recruit at the same level as other coaches they got Durham, who if not for the second ACL, probably would have played significant minutes at the expense of Brimah and Facey.

Brown would have made Enoch a back up most likely. So that's recruiting over those players in my book. Luck failed the program, not recruiting.

I salivated when I watched the tape of Durham playing against Gabriel.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom