We might miss Kiah down the road | The Boneyard

We might miss Kiah down the road

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We win by 60 if she was there tonight. Hope the B girls, Butler and Boykin, get healthy soon.

Reaction Score
I have zero worries about this team right now. The number of weapons this team has will only increase as Butler heals and the freshmen gain valuable experience. I predicted a 26 point win, I think something like 82-56 last week, so I made a good prediction on the OSU side, but never would have thought we'd hang 100 on a top 10 team on the road in the first game of the season.

Reaction Score
Everyone misses Kiah, but UConn got 7 blocks and outrebounded one of the top teams in the nation by 49-28. Kind of an odd worry to have right now.
Just because OSU didn't shoot well inside doesn't mean they didn't get a lot of good shots. After Stewie we don't have much interior presence. And yes, I'd rather win by 60 than 44.

Reaction Score
Just because OSU didn't shoot well inside doesn't mean they didn't get a lot of good shots. After Stewie we don't have much interior presence. And yes, I'd rather win by 60 than 44.
Geno didn't think they got too many good shots. He said in the post-game that you evaluate the defensive effort by the quality of shots the opponent gets, and he thought the defense played very well in limiting the number of good looks that OSU had.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I had the same thought before the game but Gabby's Kiahesgque performance pretty much dissipated it

Gabby has the same innate sense of where the ball is coming down (after misses), gets to that spot and puts her strength and leaping skills to good effect.
She doesn't block as many shots as Kiah, just prevents them from happening in the first place with her ball-hawking and disruptive defense.

And of course, before you know it, the big girl will be back.

Reaction Score
Team D was just fine. Relax and enjoy it. As Bill B would say..."On to Kansas State".

Reaction Score
I had the same thought before the game but Gabby's Kiahesgque performance pretty much dissipated it

Gabby has the same innate sense of where the ball is coming down (after misses), gets to that spot and puts her strength and leaping skills to good effect.
She doesn't block as many shots as Kiah, just prevents them from happening in the first place with her ball-hawking and disruptive defense.

And of course, before you know it, the big girl will be back.
I still can't figure out how Gabby can take those scoop shots from what seem like a good distance away or a weird angle and still get the ball to go in off the glass. She must be one helluva pool shark.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
UConn played a Top 10 team last night on the road. The Huskies held them to 56 points despite the "lot of good shots," wherever they were since I didn't see more than a very few, and two of them were in the final two minutes when the subs still outscored the OSU starters. Maybe you could point out for us all the easy buckets during the rest of the game.

Last year with Kiah UConn played 6 teams ranked in the top 10. They held them to an average of 61.8 ppg, which is an average 5.8 more than they gave up last night. True, the Buckeyes did exceed last year's opponents' FG% of 30.9% by shooting 33.3%, but their 3-pt shooting was much worse at 15.8% to 26.8 %, and last year's low average was based to some degree on the Houstons of the world. The six top-10 teams actually averaged 37.6% against the Huskies last year, so this year's group is already way ahead of the game, probably because that big lug Kiah is no longer getting in the way of her teammates. :rolleyes:

And since when does winning by 60 make UConn fans happy? Most just get grumpy that they're playing weak opponents, and the cry is for more competitive games. Why slaver for bigger more obscene blow-outs?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Took a look at the replay of the first five minutes
And the most dominant player on the court was Gabby Williams

Remember Kiah didn't start last season (after the first couple of games)
She was brought in usually no earlier than mid-way through the 1st quarter
Where her shot blocking, intimidation and screen-setting seriously affected some games as per Nan's splendid powers of recall.

We're getting Gabby from the get-go
I think Gabby may wind up having an even more salutary contribution to the team than even the magnificent Kiah (recent photo in mind).

In the first few minutes, last night: Gabby had two really aggressive steals, some tough boards, a lay-in and a curl-around for 4
Sure, she won't have as many blocks and intimidations.

But the total package:steals and offense will at the very least offset Kiah's interior presence; and has the potential to surpass it.

Not worried about that at all.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Will be miss Kiah - of course. But not for the reasons you imply.

We'll miss her game defining blocks, that smile and her personality. But we have others who will shine.

Gabby showed last night some of what she is capable of - energy, quick hands, leaping ability and hustle. Coming soon will be Natalie Butler - 6' 5" rebounder, defender and she can score. Natalie will be a major post presence that will allow Stewie and Morgan to score underneath or outside.

No worries here. This could be a season to remember!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I don't think some on here realize how much of an impact Butler will make. She averaged a double double as a freshman on a team on which she was one, if not the main focus, of the other team's defense. She will block shots, rebound, and be a threat to score inside. Add Boykin, and the level of potential for this team will increase tremendously.

Reaction Score
Got / get basketball??? :confused: Brilliant...Lets leave the starters in risking injury, lets not get younger players much needed floor time all to win by 60. ANOTHER for The Things You Can't Make Up Archives.....
Sorry to be so different in opinion here 68 but this is simply silly. At any time in any year one could say we might miss _______ fill in the blank down the road. To say we have not much inside presence after this game tells me you did not watch or see it. Stewie sat a bit in foul trouble, as Tuck and Williams both had good inside game. Rebounds were 49 to 28 UCONN. Take a deep breath and think, just how many people are going to follow the sport if you had your wish...Just say'n...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
We'll miss Kiah's personality, key blocks, strong rebounds, and triple-double. We'll also miss Kaleena's smile, deadly aim, and perfect ball rotation. But every year, we miss something from the graduating seniors.

Gabby is not the shot blocker that Kiah is/was, but she may be a comparable rebounder. She definitely has quicker hands on the defensive end. Of course, she is more aggressive on the offensive end. Gabby actively looks for her shot and was instant offense off the bench last year.

Reaction Score
We'll miss Kiah's personality, key blocks, strong rebounds, and triple-double. We'll also miss Kaleena's smile, deadly aim, and perfect ball rotation. But every year, we miss something from the graduating seniors.

Gabby is not the shot blocker that Kiah is/was, but she may be a comparable rebounder. She definitely has quicker hands on the defensive end. Of course, she is more aggressive on the offensive end. Gabby actively looks for her shot and was instant offense off the bench last year.

I still miss Sveta...she made Geno's head explode periodically and she was kinda Hot!

Reaction Score
Gotta love it. UCONN fans are so spoiled that some are worried when we totally dominate an excellent team. It's the nature of the beast that Geno, CD and the guys have created. Go UCONN! :)

Reaction Score
I still miss Sveta...she made Geno's head explode periodically and she was kinda Hot!
And still is kinda Hot!

Attachments

• SVETLANA.jpg
    SVETLANA.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 40
Reaction Score
I don't think some on here realize how much of an impact Butler will make. She averaged a double double as a freshman on a team on which she was one, if not the main focus, of the other team's defense. She will block shots, rebound, and be a threat to score inside. Add Boykin, and the level of potential for this team will increase tremendously.
Agree. Not to mention the improvement likely for KLS and Collier.

Reaction Score
Look at what they did without Natalie and De'Janae. jdubct, you cannot be more right. Katie Lou will find her shot, although she did do well on the boards, aggressively securing the ball. Npaheesa already has the defensive side locked in. Her shot will also come along. They are going to be one of the best teams in women's basketball history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom