We are Experiencing History in the Making | The Boneyard

We are Experiencing History in the Making

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Every once in a while a person comes along that effects the course of human events. Three well know examples: Galileo, Newton, and Einstein. We, the fans of the UCONN Womans Basketball Team are experiencing history in the making. Luigi "Geno" Auriemma has accomplished something so great that it will take many, many decades before the true extent of this man’s genius will be fully understood and appreciated. What Geno has accomplished will never be duplicated in woman’s basketball. And, more-than-likely, at any type of college team sports. The best part is that he is not finished. We still have more to enjoy. Of course, it is easy to love a team that wins 90% of the time. Billions of humans have inhabited this planet since its beginning. Only a small number are in the history books. Geno will be one of them.

Reaction Score
Not to say that Geno isn't among the greatest college coaches of all time in any sport, but:

Eddie Reese Most Decorated College Coach Of All Time

and, frankly, I think Bill Tierney's accomplishments are at least as great, winning 6 championships at Princeton (!) and one (so far) at Denver.

Interestingly, Geno has acknowledged that he thinks Nick Saban's and Bill Belichick's accomplishments are greater, given how extraordinarily tough it is to win championships in football.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
Eddie Reese Most Decorated College Coach Of All Time

"Tonight’s title marks the 11th for the Texas Longhorns, and the 11th for Reese. The title ties him as the winningest coach in college history with Ohio State’s first coach Mike Peppe who coached from 1931 until 1962."

Ok maybe I'm just not understanding but doesn't Geno have 11 NCAA titles? ?

I think what's happening here is this is an article about the 2015 championship and in 2015 his 11 would be one more than Geno's 10 (at that time). Since Geno continues to make history every season your post should be redacted no? In 2016 he now has 11 and should not be behind those 2 coaches.

This is a very random thread but I agree with the initial poster that Geno is doing soemthing no other college coach, in any sport, has been able to do. And with the men's NCAA titles added in is there any other school that has as many NCAA titles combined for a single sport? Idk perhaps but I'd like to see that statistic. UCONN may very well hold that number one position :D

Reaction Score

Right, Geno is tied with 11 (I don't control the title of the link I cited). That was my point. not that he isn't among the greatest, but there is no daylight between him and some others. I appreciate that xoxoxo was being intentionally over-the-top with comparisons to Galileo, etc. but are we simply counting championships or are we weighing accomplishments? Frankly, and I know I'll be pelted with stones for this, but it's easier to dominate in a sport which is only emerging and where therefore there tends to be only a small number of truly competitive teams. Look at Rod Dedeaux who won TEN NCAA baseball championships. Given the intensive and wide competition in the sport and given how uncertain the outcome of any given baseball game is, that's an astonishing accomplishment.

The idea that any number in isolation makes someone unique is just, well, arithmetic. Geno will retire with more championships than anyone else so far in WCBB. He will go down as one of the greatest coaches in WCBB. I doubt very, very much whether he himself wants to be known as more than that. It's exhausting defending the very highest peak.

I was privileged to be coached (informally) by my avatar, and, to my mind, there's never been a better basketball coach (and he never won a championship). Geno should know: Geno chose him to induct Geno into the Hall of Fame.

Reaction Score

Right, Geno is tied with 11 (I don't control the title of the link I cited). That was my point. not that he isn't among the greatest, but there is no daylight between him and some others. I appreciate that xoxoxo was being intentionally over-the-top with comparisons to Galileo, etc. but are we simply counting championships or are we weighing accomplishments? Frankly, and I know I'll be pelted with stones for this, but it's easier to dominate in a sport which is only emerging and where therefore there tends to be only a small number of truly competitive teams. Look at Rod Dedeaux who won TEN NCAA baseball championships. Given the intensive and wide competition in the sport and given how uncertain the outcome of any given baseball game is, that's an astonishing accomplishment.

The idea that any number in isolation makes someone unique is just, well, arithmetic. Geno will retire with more championships than anyone else so far in WCBB. He will go down as one of the greatest coaches in WCBB. I doubt very, very much whether he himself wants to be known as more than that. It's exhausting defending the very highest peak.

I was privileged to be coached (informally) by my avatar, and, to my mind, there's never been a better basketball coach (and he never won a championship). Geno should know: Geno chose him to induct Geno into the Hall of Fame.
Dr. Jack Ramsey!

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
This is a very random thread but I agree with the initial poster that Geno is doing soemthing no other college coach, in any sport, has been able to do. And with the men's NCAA titles added in is there any other school that has as many NCAA titles combined for a single sport? Idk perhaps but I'd like to see that statistic. UCONN may very well hold that number one position :D

If we're talking about any college coach in any sport, then you have to start talking about coaches like UNC Women's Soccer Coach Anson Dorrance. He's coached UNC to 22 titles and has a .923 winning percentage. The longest winning streak was 92 games and a 101 game unbeaten streak.

So, to the second part: Yes, UNC soccer has a total of 24 titles since their men's team has won two.

Oklahoma State has 34 national championships in wrestling.

Trinity College's men's squash team has won 252 games in a row, which is apparently the longest in college sports. They won 13 consecutive national titles.

Reaction Score

I was privileged to be coached (informally) by my avatar, and, to my mind, there's never been a better basketball coach (and he never won a championship). Geno should know: Geno chose him to induct Geno into the Hall of Fame.[/QUOTE\\

Bags---Perspective !! Like you many athletes played for highly thought of and people that taught life's lesson to young impressionable minds. Nearly (I said nearly) every college or hs can tout one who to them was--as we see Geno. Geno's accomplishments are extraordinary and will be part of Sports History--and certainly Uconn history. But I think it important to keep it real--I'm sure Geno does.
For me Father Taylor taught me the game--and to work for what you get--and 20 other attributes that guides me through life.

Reaction Score
Cvr6Aw3WEAAKzX7.jpg

0 replies33 retweets36 likes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members