Way OT - Thanks | The Boneyard

Way OT - Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I want to thank the BYrs who've supported my novel. Crocodile Mothers Eat Their Young. It's been out almost a year now and taken me places I never envisioned outside the realm of writing, but all the result of marketing. Marketing is pretty much a full time job most of the time as any "new" author will testify. Quite apart from book signings (I still hope to have one at the UConn bookstore) I've had appearances before groups involved in foster care or anti-child abuse advocacy and with my wife and the former foster daughter who is the model for my book's main character, have created a workshop that deals with the problems of teens transitioning out of foster care. We've done the workshop once so far. The rate of former foster kids who "make it" (no substance abuse, post hs education or entry in to the job market) is very low. Only about 4-5% go on to post hs education.

At their invitation, we got to meet in NYC with an organization of attorneys who work with state welfare agencies along the east coast to improve child protection laws where we discussed issues that need to be addressed. Next month will be guests on a nationally broadcast blog radio show run by an organization that deals with helping adult survivors of child abuse to cope. My experience during the last year suggests that the number of people who suffered child abuse is much higher than one would expect and most of those people were never removed from their homes because nobody knew about it.

The reception by readers of the book who've bothered to rate or review it has been totally positive on a 5 star scale. None lower than 4 stars and about 85% 5 stars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69
Top Bottom