Was the ACC dumb not to have expanded with UConn and Rutgers | The Boneyard

Was the ACC dumb not to have expanded with UConn and Rutgers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
By bringing on UConn and Rutgers with Cuse and Pitt they could have made a bid on the hoops tourney in MSG and maybe Maryland stays. Really locked up the NYC market and kept the B1G out. Any thoughts?

Reaction Score
Would not have kept MD from going to the Big Ten. Would not keep FSU or Clemson from going to the Big Xii if they want to go.

Reaction Score
Would not have kept MD from going to the Big Ten. Would not keep FSU or Clemson from going to the Big Xii if they want to go.

Might have kept the Big 10 out of NYC market though.

Reaction Score
I think the ACC has operated largely on the proposition that UConn and Rutgers would always be there for them. UConn will likely be there for them, but I think it would have been better to go all-in on the east coast, and tell ND that if/when they wanted to join, then the ACC would go to 18.

It may not have secured Maryland from leaving; this is true. It may not stop FSU from ultimately leaving. But I do think that a conference with that much pull in the NYC area would have been more difficult to walk away from.

Oh well, it really doesn't matter.

Reaction Score
Would the TV money still be the same with the NYC market included for the ACC footprint? I would think they get a boost, especially in hoops.

Reaction Score
Would the TV money still be the same with the NYC market included for the ACC footprint? I would think they get a boost, especially in hoops.
Here's the thing: ESPN is already on every NYC cable package. I'm not sure that is as valuable to ESPN.

B10 Network is not on many cable packages. Whether you watch it or not, you pay for it. They want it in DC, Philly, Jersey, NYC. This makes it closer to reality.

ACC can't do this for a while. That's when this would have been useful.

BL: It wouldn't have changed Rutgers' mind, you are right. But we never really know where the counterfactual goes, as taking up UConn and Rutgers might have stalled ACC from taking ND, which seems to have been a reason for the B1G to move on expansion.

Reaction Score
I think the real mistake that the ACC made was to allow Notre Dame partial membership. IMO, this further solidified the ACC's ranking in the pecking order behind SEC, Big10 and PAC12. Also, sets up the ACC to be perpetually held hostage by the Irish, who will be even more emboldened by their 2012 football season. So, unless they convince ND to join in full, how do they get to 16 football teams without having 17 basketball teams?

Reaction Score
Yes. Maryland and Rutgers wouldn't have joined the Big Ten if Notre Dame hadn't moved it hoops to the ACC.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
read my stuff. the acc was the minute they knew wvu+uconn was the ticket and they went for pitt and cuse.

acc could have had wvu, uconn ruty and nd in 2015. now they will have 2 private left overs plus usf/ecu/temple and crew.

Reaction Score
Yes. Maryland and Rutgers wouldn't have joined the Big Ten if Notre Dame hadn't moved it hoops to the ACC.
I think the answer is different. Maryland and Rutgers would obviously still go. They just may not have been asked yet.

Reaction Score
I think the real mistake that the ACC made was to allow Notre Dame partial membership. IMO, this further solidified the ACC's ranking in the pecking order behind SEC, Big10 and PAC12. Also, sets up the ACC to be perpetually held hostage by the Irish, who will be even more emboldened by their 2012 football season. So, unless they convince ND to join in full, how do they get to 16 football teams without having 17 basketball teams?

Bingo. The ND ACC deal was part of the reason for expansion, also the BE was getting ready to sign a nice deal with NBC and ESPN and the big 10 did not want to concede the ny market to the BE, when they could just go and get it.

Reaction Score
Here's the thing: ESPN is already on every NYC cable package. I'm not sure that is as valuable to ESPN.

B10 Network is not on many cable packages. Whether you watch it or not, you pay for it. They want it in DC, Philly, Jersey, NYC. This makes it closer to reality.

Side note. I live in what would typically be decribed as the DC area. In fact only about 10 miles from Maryland's campus. And I already get the Big 10 Network. Now, I doubt the Big 10 charges the same rate for me as someone in say Michigan or Illinois. But it does make me wonder how much really oney the Big 10 gets out of this.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
read my stuff. the acc was ****ed the minute they knew wvu+uconn was the ticket and they went for pitt and cuse.

acc could have had wvu, uconn ruty and nd in 2015. now they will have 2 private left overs plus usf/ecu/temple and crew.
You probably know this already but just in case... Pitt is actually a public school, like Temple.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_System_of_Higher_Education
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_System_of_Higher_Education

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member