Was the 08-09 team the last powerhouse we'll see? | The Boneyard

Was the 08-09 team the last powerhouse we'll see?

Reaction Score
There was a time, not long ago, when UConn basketball dominated games, beat the crap out of talented opponents, maintained a top 10 (if not top 5) ranking, and guaranteed themselves high at-large seeds in the tournament. A time when scoring 49 points in a game was unimaginable.

But it's been almost 10 years since then, when we posted a 31-5 record in 2008-09.

National championships mean a lot, obviously. But you can't expect every year to be 2014, or even 2011.

Do you see us getting back to a 30+ win season anytime soon? I mean, the first year or 2 in the AAC it was easy to dismiss not dominating this league. But the sample size is getting larger and larger, and we're still not getting it done.

Reaction Score
Can you make an argument that the league as a whole has been weaker than it ever was? It feels that college basketball has been trending down while the NBA has been trending upward. But that might be more of my opinion than actual reality.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Can you make an argument that the league as a whole has been weaker than it ever was? It feels that college basketball has been trending down while the NBA has been trending upward. But that might be more of my opinion than actual reality.

Just watching the differences in games between the two leagues proves this. NBA talent/skill/game play is close to an all time high. College basketball games often look like rec league contests. Poor fundamental development and early pro defections are likely the cause.

Reaction Score
Just watching the differences in games between the two leagues proves this. NBA talent/skill/game play is close to an all time high. College basketball games often look like rec league contests. Poor fundamental development and early pro defections are likely the cause.
AAU effect

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
It is sad, but let's give Ollie next year to prove we can get back to that level.

Bingo.

I'm freaked out by the OP's sentiment as well. I'm concerned about it, not yet at the level of "worry." But next year if we even have a year like last year, I'll be very concerned...

I'm looking to make NOISE next year.

Reaction Score
Bingo.

I'm freaked out by the OP's sentiment as well. I'm concerned about it, not yet at the level of "worry." But next year if we even have a year like last year, I'll be very concerned...

We finished sixth in the American last year! And we're on the bubble going into the conference tourney. And then needed a 70 ft shot to absolutely guarantee we got in.

That's not a bad year. But it's far from the result I go into a season hoping for.

Reaction Score
We finished sixth in the American last year! And we're on the bubble going into the conference tourney. And then needed a 70 ft shot to absolutely guarantee we got in.

That's not a bad year. But it's far from the result I go into a season hoping for.

No, wrong. Tulsa got in. They had a worse record and went out in the first round.

Reaction Score
2011 would beat 2009 straight up--so... I wouldn't look back at 2009 as a stronger team. In fact, I'd argue that 2011 even had a better year. Don't forget, before the tourney they were ranked in the top 10, had many more big wins, AND they were the 3rd most popular choice to win the national championship among 10s of millions of brackets, before the tourney even started.

I would say that the 2014 team was the improbable one. They truly came out of nowhere. But--you can't say they were a fluky champ. They ran through Villanova, a really good Iowa state team, Michigan St., Florida and Kentucky to win. A very tough road to the national championship. 6 very difficult games.

Reaction Score
2011 would beat 2009 straight up--so... I wouldn't look back at 2009 as a stronger team. In fact, I'd argue that 2011 even had a better year. Don't forget, before the tourney they were ranked in the top 10, had many more big wins, AND they were the 3rd most popular choice to win the national championship among 10s of millions of brackets, before the tourney even started.

I would say that the 2014 team was the improbable one. They truly came out of nowhere. But--you can't say they were a fluky champ. They ran through Villanova, a really good Iowa state team, Michigan St., Florida and Kentucky to win. A very tough road to the national championship. 6 very difficult games.
I think the 2014 team had a MUCH tougher road than 2011. But they also had the advantage of MSG.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Bingo.

Unfortunately, I think many will still disappointed next year. There will still be tons of question marks, holes in the roster and inexperience. I certainly don't anticipate next season to mend the pains they are going through this year, in terms of big picture season outcome.

Reaction Score
I hope KO gets them to play like the Temple and UCF game consistently and next year will not be a disappointment. I'm not worried but def see why people are. Go Huskies

Reaction Score
No way man. Can you imagine Thabeet and Adrien vs 2011 front court. Curtains.

Kemba, Lamb and crew could NOT go within 10ft of the hoop. And AJP would eat Shabazz's lunch.

It's on the defensive side that I like them. I like Kemba more than AJ Price. But I think Thabeet and Adrien on offense would be powerless against Oriakhi and Roscoe Smith.

At the end of the day, I just like Kemba and Lamb on offense more than AJ Price and Dyson. That is what I base my comment on. Kemba especially was better than all of the players we are talking about. He is up there with Rip and Emeka as an all-time top 5 Husky. Can't say that about anyone from 2009.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, I think many will still disappointed next year. There will still be tons of question marks, holes in the roster and inexperience. I certainly don't anticipate next season to mend the pains they are going through this year, in terms of big picture season outcome.

This team could easily turn around and win the whole thing next year.

We'll never know until we get there. When players like Jalen are affordable some more space, that could be all it takes for them to dominate. Playing off the ball and having a defense pay attention to Larrier could create the kind of dynamism that makes UConn near impossible to stop.

The worries are with the holes with Durham and Enoch up front. I get that. I am assuming they simply go small all year just like they did in 2014 with Daniels at the 4.

Reaction Score
Someone made the comparison yesterday, but the foundation of that 2008-09 team starting during that horrid 2006-07 season.

While it's not a perfect comparison (06-07 was literally all freshmen and sophomores), I do think that's the roadmap the current squad should be following. If things break right, they should be ranked for most or all of next year, and then potentially be in position for a deep run the year after there.

Obviously so much depends on who stays and leaves early, as well as how certain guys develop, but the situatios have some similarity.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Someone made the comparison yesterday, but the foundation of that 2008-09 team starting during that horrid 2006-07 season.

While it's not a perfect comparison (06-07 was literally all freshmen and sophomores), I do think that's the roadmap the current squad should be following. If things break right, they should be ranked for most or all of next year, and then potentially be in position for a deep run the year after there.

Obviously so much depends on who stays and leaves early, as well as how certain guys develop, but the situatios have some similarity.

If Jalen leaves (really the only question barring transfers), they are .

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom