Was Offensive Play Calling Really Conservative? | The Boneyard

Was Offensive Play Calling Really Conservative?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
>>However, diving into some of the film, over the first seven drives of the game which spilled into the first drive of the third quarter, UConn ran a total of 28 plays. Of those plays, 22 saw quarterback Bryant Shirreffs in the shotgun, 18 times with three wide receivers spread out across the formation. And 20 of the 28 play calls that came in from offensive coordinator Frank Verducci were of the passing variety.

So what happened? Only 34 yards in the first quarter, 96 at the break? For one, Shirreffs only attempted 9 throws over the first 7 drives. Nine throws out of 20 passing play calls. That means he was either sacked or tucked and ran because the pocket was breaking down or there were no receivers open downfield from his vantage point<<

We don't need no stinking data... we gots our eyes!!!;)

Guess there is still the question of execution (or lack of) or still a bad play call for defensive scheme but...

Reaction Score
Everyone needs to read this article and stop crying about everything being the coaches faults on offense. It's not close to only their fault.

Reaction Score
Good read. I guess the question now falls back on "how do we fix our line"? Sucks that it's been such a problem for so long.

Our Oline is average to below average, and out offense is Offensive!!!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
A big problem with Shirreffs is that while mobile he isn't a threat to throw on the run.

When a team flushes him out of the pocket (and with this OLine that is frequently) he will always run. LB's and DB's can break from their coverage and converge on Shirreffs.

I don't know if it's because Shirreffs takes his eyes off receivers or if it's an accuracy issue but it severely hampers the offense.

Reaction Score
Players are part of the problem. As I rewatched the game I saw 4 complete whiffs on blocking assignments. Two were by Ron Johnson, one by Levy and one by Knappe. ( Two seniors and a Junior) I do believe talent remains part of the problem with our offense. Our OC can do only so much with what he has for talent.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Everyone needs to read this article and stop crying about everything being the coaches faults on offense. It's not close to only their fault.
There's enough suckitude to go around, it's not on any one group or person. Hearing the head coach minimize the importance of scoring points is a concern though.

Reaction Score
The play calling is extremely conservative until all looks lost and then Diaco comes out of the shell by necessity.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Players are part of the problem. As I rewatched the game I saw 4 complete whiffs on blocking assignments. Two were by Ron Johnson, one by Levy and one by Knappe. ( Two seniors and a Junior) I do believe talent remains part of the problem with our offense. Our OC can do only so much with what he has for talent.

Three games in to the season and it's apparent that Levy is the weak part of the OLine. When Vechery gets healthy I'd like to see how Rutherford does on the left side (As a few others mentioned Hopkins was still on crutches Saturday).

Also, Johnson isn't good at squaring up and blocking. Add in Johnson's penchant for trying to bounce runs outside and I think Arkeel is going to get some more snaps.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
A big problem with Shirreffs is that while mobile he isn't a threat to throw on the run.

When a team flushes him out of the pocket (and with this OLine that is frequently) he will always run. LB's and DB's can break from their coverage and converge on Shirreffs.

I don't know if it's because Shirreffs takes his eyes off receivers or if it's an accuracy issue but it severely hampers the offense.

I wondered about this myself. I was wondering if no one was getting open.. if maybe the WRs start run blocking as soon as BS starts running. I kept thinking someone MUST be open throw the ball. I just don't think he's looking to throw at all after he leaves the pocket.

I think overall the OL has gotten better... I'm seeing holes for the RBs... they just haven't hit them consistently. BS definitely has more time.. but there's a (justifiable) lack of confidence from our RBs and QB. It's probably exacerbated by the completely missed blocks. Levy especially... there was one play in the Virginia game where it looked like he just gave up... and BS got killed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
From my vantage point I thought a number of the qb runs were designed runs from the get go. Sherriffs didn't make any effort to look for a receiver. Just took off.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I wish they'd been conservative on 3rd and inches on the 1 1/2 yl. Two sneaks into the line should get the couple of inches for first down if not the TD. Instead a play designed to take time and dependent on good blocking resulting in a 3 yd loss and a field goal. 4 pts squandered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom