Warlick gets 1-year extension | The Boneyard

Warlick gets 1-year extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Holly isn't Pat Summitt, and with Vol fans those are huge boots to fill. It's an up hill battle when you follow someone who many consider a legend and recruiting wasn't as it had been. 550,000 per annum you can live really well in Knoxville on that.
When the time comes for Shea to take over from Geno she too will find a bit tough, albeit not as tough because fans feel they know Shea from childhood.

Reaction Score
Holly isn't Pat Summitt, and with Vol fans those are huge boots to fill. It's an up hill battle when you follow someone who many consider a legend and recruiting wasn't as it had been. 550,000 per annum you can live really well in Knoxville on that.
When the time comes for Shea to take over from Geno she too will find a bit tough, albeit not as tough because fans feel they know Shea from childhood.

The good news for TU fans is that they're pretty much guaranteed a spot in the Regionals for a few more years. Weeeeeeee...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Don't much like TN, but certainly think Holly has done a good job in this transition and deserves the extension and raise. I don't think she is a great coach, but she has certainly maintained TN at the level she inherited and has done a good job with recruiting and keeping the program relevant.

Reaction Score
Every time a successful coach steps down, in any sport, their successor is in a very difficult position. No one knows that if Pat Summit's health had not ended her career that the Vols would be doing much better than they are now. Recruiting is tougher than it once was and the south now has more power programs than they had for much of Pat's tenure.

That's not meant to insult her or her fans but the landscape has changed. Pat being who she is would have undoubtedly attracted one or two more phenoms than Holly can lure to Knoxville, but a certainty that Tenn. would have won more NC's with Pat doesn't exist. What Vol fans think is most important, but I think that, given the circumstances, Holly has done a good job so far making the transition.

Ten years from now when Geno starts considering retirement his replacement will be found wanting on every level. This board will light up if we suffer through an eight loss season (remember how it felt?), and young ladies like KLS may no longer think that travelling to Storrs is the equivelent of following the yellow brick road to the Emerald City to meet with Geno the great and powerful.

Transitions are tough. Tenn. is going through theirs now; ours is coming. (But hopefully not for another decade.)

Reaction Score
Don't much like TN, but certainly think Holly has done a good job in this transition and deserves the extension and raise. I don't think she is a great coach, but she has certainly maintained TN at the level she inherited and has done a good job with recruiting and keeping the program relevant.
I agree with you, and also agree with the relatively short-term extension she's been granted. This is really make or break time for Holly. Diamond is extraordinarily talented, but whether or not Holly can assert her will and manage DD's personality constitutes a huge test. That Freshman point guard they have coming in, Cooper, looks fabulous. If Mercedes Russell turns out to be the real deal, Holly will have the tools she needs to bring her team to the Final Four, or, at least to the Final Eight. I'm rooting for her, only because I think WCBB would profit greatly from a resurgence at Tenn. The game needs it. But this is no longer Pat's team...it's Holly's, and it's time for her to prove she's got what it takes....hope she does!

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
It's not easy repacing a legend. I think Holly has done a real good job. Even though the team has a few bad breaks with injuries. the last few years . She has kept the program as still one of the top programs. She has done a good job in recruiting. Holly was the one who recruted Diamond. I am ready for this season.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
I agree with you, and also agree with the relatively short-term extension she's been granted. This is really make or break time for Holly. Diamond is extraordinarily talented, but whether or not Holly can assert her will and manage DD's personality constitutes a huge test. That Freshman point guard they have coming in, Cooper, looks fabulous. If Mercedes Russell turns out to be the real deal, Holly will have the tools she needs to bring her team to the Final Four, or, at least to the Final Eight. I'm rooting for her, only because I think WCBB would profit greatly from a resurgence at Tenn. The game needs it. But this is no longer Pat's team...it's Holly's, and it's time for her to prove she's got what it takes....hope she does!

She wasn't just given a one year extension, a year was added on top of her remaining three years, so it's four years total. If she makes the Final Four or NC game in the next two years, she will likely get an entirely new agreement.

Reaction Score
Every time a successful coach steps down, in any sport, their successor is in a very difficult position.
I know this is a popular opinion, but I disagree. It's a huge advantage to the new coach because the outgoing legend has usually created an environment that carries over. Superior facilities and staff are in place, alumni are supportive, the school's reputation for the sport is widespread and intact, recruits already have a long term favorable mindset about the school that can carry over to the new coach.

All the new coach need do is be competent and the program will continue to roll. If the new coach is not competent, then there will be a slow degradation of the program. It will take a while for this to become obvious, as the clues will be subtle.

In Tennessee's case, there was much doubt as to whether Holly should be the replacement, but she was Pat's and the overall sentimental favorite. Recently there is an indication that Holly is doing a good job. I attribute this perception to the carry over effect discussed above.

The fact that Pat Summitt was still on the staff and Tennessee's past reputation helped Holly with recruiting, particularly with Diamond and Mercedes. But, recently there are chinks in the armor. There are question marks regarding Holly's coaching capability and it is showing up recently with inability to recruit needed bigs and multiple top 10 players like in the past. The slow degradation has begun.

The coming season will be a critical one for Holly. If Holly can show improved coaching ability, the program may return to it's past status. If not, I expect the slow slide to continue. It will be interesting to be an observer.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
This is from earlier this week. I thought you may find it interesting.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I think Holly was at Tenn from her childhood as well

Reaction Score
I appreciate your perspective, that the coach that follows a legend inherits a well oiled machine, but honestly I have trouble thinking of the coaches that have suceeded on the same level when these enivitable transitions take place. A few places in pro sports (Gerardi with the Yankees, Lasorda with the Dodgers, Seifert with the 49's) but most college programs suffer when head football and basketball coaches resign or retire asfter having led their programs to great success.

I'm sure the board will add other instant success stories, but I don't think you follow Wooden, Knight, Smith, Carnesecca, Conradt or Summit without bending under the weight of the expectations and comparisons that are made by the Alumni, the student body, the fans and the media.

Holly hasn't had to start at a program that had posted a string of single digit win seasons, and to be sure that can be daughting, but she hasn't been free either to build her program from the ground up (ala GA) with little pressure because there exists few expectations.

When Geno retires a thousand courageous hands will raise volunteering to take the job, but that next one in line will face the fires of hell if the team goes 25-10.

Reaction Score
I wish before his eventual retirement, Geno would stand down as an associate head coach for 2-3 years, while Shea Ralph (or someone he trusts) runs the ship. That way we will have smooth transition. I am under the impression that this idea has been floated in the BY earlier.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I appreciate your perspective, that the coach that follows a legend inherits a well oiled machine, but honestly I have trouble thinking of the coaches that have suceeded on the same level when these enivitable transitions take place. A few places in pro sports (Gerardi with the Yankees, Lasorda with the Dodgers, Seifert with the 49's) but most college programs suffer when head football and basketball coaches resign or retire asfter having led their programs to great success.

I'm sure the board will add other instant success stories, but I don't think you follow Wooden, Knight, Smith, Carnesecca, Conradt or Summit without bending under the weight of the expectations and comparisons that are made by the Alumni, the student body, the fans and the media.

Holly hasn't had to start at a program that had posted a string of single digit win seasons, and to be sure that can be daughting, but she hasn't been free either to build her program from the ground up (ala GA) with little pressure because there exists few expectations.

When Geno retires a thousand courageous hands will raise volunteering to take the job, but that next one in line will face the fires of hell if the team goes 25-10.
Exactly. Even in the pros, in various sports, plenty of examples of the program declining after the marquee coach left. The post-Stengal Yankees come to mind, and staying with that team, I'm not sure all Yankee fans would hold Girardi up to Torre.

I would suggest the discussions of JPM post GG says a lot about the college level. Look at Michigan football, as another example. UCLA softball.

It doesn't happen always, and there are sometimes (as noted by someone above) other factors that fall under a general "times they are a changing" BUT if I was a coach I would probably prefer not to follow a legend.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Bestiarius main point and, I happen to agree is " it depends on the caliber of the coach that follows the legend". Facilities, reputation and recruits are in place for the Lady Vols to build upon what Pat had established. Thus far Lady Vols have not. If and when Geno retires the first question to ask before you evaluate the new Coach would be: Is UCONN getting the same caliber of recruits that Geno was getting? If the answer to that question is yes ( as is the case with Lady Vols) and UCONN records drops off to God forbid 25-10-this might be an indication that you don't have a very good coach. Better example might be in Men's football at the University Of Oregon pre-Post Chip Kelley.
Recuits still going to Oregon-Check!
Facilities still good-Check can't beat that Nike Money
Oregon Record Pre and Post Chip-Ah About the same.
Conclusion: Oregon got a pretty good coach to replace Chip.

Reaction Score

I appreciate the words. I too thought that even Shea if she had a year as you mentioned would feel the wrath of the Uconn faithful????.

Reaction Score
Bestiarius main point and, I happen to agree is " it depends on the caliber of the coach that follows the legend". Facilities, reputation and recruits are in place for the Lady Vols to build upon what Pat had established. Thus far Lady Vols have not. If and when Geno retires the first question to ask before you evaluate the new Coach would be: Is UCONN getting the same caliber of recruits that Geno was getting? If the answer to that question is yes ( as is the case with Lady Vols) and UCONN records drops off to God forbid 25-10-this might be an indication that you don't have a very good coach. Better example might be in Men's football at the University Of Oregon pre-Post Chip Kelley.
Recuits still going to Oregon-Check!
Facilities still good-Check can't beat that Nike Money
Oregon Record Pre and Post Chip-Ah About the same.
Conclusion: Oregon got a pretty good coach to replace Chip.
\

True the caliber, reputation, won/loss reccord, recruiting may help the first year the legend is replaced, but lose or have a 14/14 year OR not make the NCAA --it can be a very tough job. Five years into the job it may fully become the new coaches job. Holly has another year ---this could be her "break away from Summitt" year..
A poster wanted Geno to hang around with a new head coach as an Associate--I wouldn't want that--someone second guessing me or just me thinking im being seconded guessed, that's not for me. NOW if Geno said--I'll be on the golf course or in my bistro call me if you have any questions--super great, that would work for me. It did for Sherri Coale.
Holy Moly---ask will Geno be replaced by a coach that gets the top recruits--good question!! Marissa and Shea does that today but they have Geno to sell to the recruits--tougher sell without him. I think the name Geno is the difference maker for lots of recruits.

Reaction Score
For a lot of years Summitt was the name Women BB players ran to--name recognition. The newer players may have heard of her but Geno has been the STAR Coach for in upteen NCAA's, (my number may be wrong) 9 straight Final 4, the last 3 NCAA titles--is there a kid in high school who knows Summitt over Geno?? '(only in Knoxville)
Point is this legend of Geno is what current kids know and if he is not at Uconn--the game changes.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Is the assumption that Chris Dailey won't coach after Geno leaves? She just might. She definitely loves what she's doing now.

Reaction Score
The question to ask about CD is the question to ask about athletes, coaches, and employees in general; Does she want it?

I'm guessing at 60+ (the age she'll be unless Geno shocks us all and leaves soon) that she might not want to start her own head coaching career. Someone earlier suggested that maybe Geno might hang around as an assistant for a few years to help preserve the program and its legacy, and I think that clearly that won't happen, but I could see CD filling that role to ease a new head coach into the job, especially if it is one of our own. (Sue, DT, Shea, et al).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom