Warde on Record: 10,000 More Seats (Hartford Business Journal) | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Warde on Record: 10,000 More Seats (Hartford Business Journal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
images.jpg

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It would probably work better if you chose to dress like Bruce Wayne. Batman comes with being a self made, multi-billionaire with a mansion on the outskirts of Gotham...

Batman also doesn't get paid...Last I checked, Superhero is not an profitable occupation.

Reaction Score
As of May 1, 2014 RU sold 23,900 season tickets an increase of 1900 from the previous year. Then on 5/19-5/23 they offer 3 game mini plan to contributors and on 3/27 mini plans open to the public. 26,00 season ticket is their goal. Taken from the RU Scout board.

Reaction Score
Look, I've been lukewarm on expanding the stadium as I think money could be better spent elsewhere but I also think at this point maybe we go all in and just do it.

That being said, " the build it and they will come" mantra is about the dumbest thing on here besides going Indy.

Also, comparing season ticket bases as a D1AA/ transitioning FBS school playing at memorial stadium vs playing legitimate BCS football in a 40,000 seat stadium is pretty close in terms of flawed logic.

I mean really. Apples to oranges doesn't even do that parallel justice.

Everyone who keeps complaining about the cost, or where their belief that the money should be spent elsewhere doesn't want to accept the fact that the state would be paying, not UConn.

My question about the season ticket base is hyperbole specifically for one poster who's small mindedness is stuck on the single factor of season tickets.

He's got an arbitrary number of 28,000 season tickets. He said less than 25,000 is a failure but 28,000 means we should consider expansion. Is 3,000 season tickets really that important when the difference between expansion and the status quo could be the difference between the AAC and an invite out? What about the likelihood of an anti-trust suit? Wouldn't the largest college stadium and newest facilities in the northeast be clear evidence that UConn is more than prepared to compete at the same level as Saracuse, Rutgers, and BCU? And to lock us out of that competition is a violation of anti-trust laws?

Season tickets is hardly as important as tickets sold. If we're only getting 20,000 season tickets, but selling out 50-75% of our games then there is clearly a demand for tickets. If Diaco does well, Warde gets some decent games scheduled, and we start selling out more (like we used to) the important factor is that sell outs mean the opportunity cost of lost revenue.

We've sold out plenty of home games. That is lost revenue. The idea that we shouldn't push for expansion because of 3-5,000 season tickets is so small minded it's amazing some of you wouldn't prefer to go back to the Yankee conference. If you really believe that the size of the stadium has not come up behind the scenes in discussions with other conferences as an area for improvement, I think you're ignoring the obvious.

Reaction Score
Everyone who keeps complaining about the cost, or where their belief that the money should be spent elsewhere doesn't want to accept the fact that the state would be paying, not UConn.

My question about the season ticket base is hyperbole specifically for one poster who's small mindedness is stuck on the single factor of season tickets.

He's got an arbitrary number of 28,000 season tickets. He said less than 25,000 is a failure but 28,000 means we should consider expansion. Is 3,000 season tickets really that important when the difference between expansion and the status quo could be the difference between the AAC and an invite out? What about the likelihood of an anti-trust suit? Wouldn't the largest college stadium and newest facilities in the northeast be clear evidence that UConn is more than prepared to compete at the same level as Saracuse, Rutgers, and BCU? And to lock us out of that competition is a violation of anti-trust laws?

Season tickets is hardly as important as tickets sold. If we're only getting 20,000 season tickets, but selling out 50-75% of our games then there is clearly a demand for tickets. If Diaco does well, Warde gets some decent games scheduled, and we start selling out more (like we used to) the important factor is that sell outs mean the opportunity cost of lost revenue.

We've sold out plenty of home games. That is lost revenue. The idea that we shouldn't push for expansion because of 3-5,000 season tickets is so small minded it's amazing some of you wouldn't prefer to go back to the Yankee conference. If you really believe that the size of the stadium has not come up behind the scenes in discussions with other conferences as an area for improvement, I think you're ignoring the obvious.

I have two Gut Checks this year.

June 23rd the day after we play Portugal in the World Cup and August 30th the day after we play BYU and see how many fans show up.

Without MI on the schedule I am optimistic to have have sold 25 K. My gut tells me bad things. I have been wrong before. On verra.

Reaction Score
Div. 1-AA does not and cannot remotely compare to Div-1A or FBS. I lived across the street for 3 out of the 4 seasons in Storrs and I went to maybe 3 or 4 games a season (including Yale Bowl), even thought student tix were $5. I lived in Ellsworth during my Senior and could see the south end from my dorm window. The most well attended games were obviously Homecoming and the first night game in Storrs in '95 ("Let There be Lights!"), and even then there was far less than the 19,000 capacity Memorial Stadium.

Don't mean to quibble (sp?) but the actual capacity in '95 was 14,400. The listed capacity for Memorial Stadium was 16,200. It was listed at 16,200 prior to the removal of the seats in both end zones. The west side capacity was 10,400 and the east side was 4,000.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Don't mean to quibble (sp?) but the actual capacity in '95 was 14,400. The listed capacity for Memorial Stadium was 16,200. It was listed at 16,200 prior to the removal of the seats in both end zones. The west side capacity was 10,400 and the east side was 4,000.
So extrapolate. I was between meetings and couldn't check Wikipedia. :D

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Reality check. August 30th.

You don't get it. You can't think small time otherwise you will always be small time.

Time to expand to 50,000+

Reaction Score
A cover in Connecticut would be worse weather-wise since most games are played in the day, and this would block out the sun.

The best thing for the conference is for the southern schools to get more late in the season games and for Cincy, Temple and UConn to get early season games. For some reasons, the AAC scheduler has things reversed. It could be UConn asked for things this way, so the southern boys can visit during the cold weather.
Having Memphis (average early December temp mid 50s) come to us (average early December temp low 40s and let me you it was NOT in the 40s when the teams played) was pretty moronic last year. Either way, I think both basketball games were gonna outdraw that football game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom