Warde Manuel speaks on the coaching situation | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Warde Manuel speaks on the coaching situation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Or, he could be as ticked off as you are but may realize that there is nothing he can realistically do during the season and that saying anything other than supportive is unfair to the players and the team while their season is ongoing.

He is doing his job. We will have no clue what he is thinnking until after the season.

I believe he stated that at the end of the season he's going to leave it in Paul's hands regarding the adjustments to the staff at the end of the season. Paul wont fire Deleone, thus we'll be stuck with him for at least next season as well. I really don't have too many problems with PP, it's his blind loyalty to a failure of an OC that I have a problem with.

Reaction Score
I believe he stated that at the end of the season he's going to leave it in Paul's hands regarding the adjustments to the staff at the end of the season. Paul wont fire Deleone, thus we'll be stuck with him for at least next season as well. I really don't have too many problems with PP, it's his blind loyalty to a failure of an OC that I have a problem with.

If Manual was going to tell PP to change his OC (and I'm not saying he would or would not) he would not tell it to Dez now, and he would not announce it publicly then. You would simply hear that George retired.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
That would still be a gigantic step forward. Then hire Tony Saprano to be the OC... PP and his Italian friends.

Hey, hey now! By the way, I'm sure you wouldn't mind another CT Italian if his name was Addazio, right? ;)

Reaction Score
That would still be a gigantic step forward. Then hire Tony Saprano to be the OC... PP and his Italian friends.

You know....for someone who gets offended when someone even mentions the words "Muslim terrorists"......

Reaction Score
Hey, hey now! By the way, I'm sure you wouldn't mind another CT Italian if his name was Addazio, right? ;)
No! I'd rather take that Italian named Petrino. :p He would probably corrupt the kids.

Reaction Score
You know....for someone who gets offended when someone even mentions the words "Muslim terrorists"......
Did I say "guido"? And I don't get "offended". Human stupidity is appalling. That's all.

Reaction Score
If Manual was going to tell PP to change his OC (and I'm not saying he would or would not) he would not tell it to Dez now, and he would not announce it publicly then. You would simply hear that George retired.

What I got from what he said was that he doesnt see a problem and is going to leave it up to Paul to make decisions regarding his staff. So I don't see him telling Paul to fire, or force retire a member of his staff when he just said that he was going to leave it up to his coach. Now I realize in the world of sports management often will give assurances to members only to fire them not too long after but I keep taking a guy's word at face value until they lie about something.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
What I got from what he said was that he doesnt see a problem and is going to leave it up to Paul to make decisions regarding his staff. So I don't see him telling Paul to fire, or force retire a member of his staff when he just said that he was going to leave it up to his coach. Now I realize in the world of sports management often will give assurances to members only to fire them not too long after but I keep taking a guy's word at face value until they lie about something.

I agree. His statements seem to reflect putting the responsibility of yesterday on the players, not necessarily the coaches. It sounded to me like an honest vote of confidence for PP.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
What's he gonna say, really?

If you ever followed Oliver Luck over at WVU, I can pretty much guarantee that he would have said a lot more. Not saying that is the person I want running things at UConn but Luck certainly had a very strong point of view on Bill Stewart after than less than two seasons were over and made his opinion very well known to the public. Most of the fans loved it because he spoke in the same terms that they were thinking (i.e. the 8 win seasons that Bill Stewart produced while at West Virginia were considered unacceptable to him).

Obviously very different personalities here. So far I don't mind what I've heard from Manuel.

Reaction Score

Do you want Tony Saprano, Soprano, or Sparano? :) after watching the Jets O, Tony Soprano might be best, but he's a Snookie Alum.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Do you want Tony Saprano, Soprano, or Sparano? :) after watching the Jets O, Tony Soprano might be best, but he's a Snookie Alum.
Soprano is a Snookie alum who did some commercials for Schiano back in the day... and now he's doing commercials for UCLA extension school! LULZ!!

Reaction Score
I thought that Manuel's comments were exactly what you'd expect from the AD at this point in the season and when caught in the airport. College coaches very rarely get fired mid-season and very rarely do people make decisions 4 games in. And ADs even more rarely talk about it in unscheduled interviews as they're changing planes...But if I we're guessing I would guess that unless UConn totally falls apart, Pasquoloni will be back. If they finish 5-7, I'd say he gets 1 more year to right the ship, maybe with some changes in the coaching staff. If they go forward from here and win 7 or 8 games, this will be seen as a minor blip, a WTF game, on the road in a morgue of a stadium after an emotional effort the week before...But it would take a pretty significant crash, 3 or 4 wins, to lead to a change after this year.

Reaction Score
I agree. His statements seem to reflect putting the responsibility of yesterday on the players, not necessarily the coaches. It sounded to me like an honest vote of confidence for PP.

from my perspective, blaming the players is also implying that the coaches don't have them prepared. Isn't motivation part of coaching? What about consistancy?

Its not like he said that everything is going great, he mentioned that everyone has to adapt and improve, coaching staff included.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
from my perspective, blaming the players is also implying that the coaches don't have them prepared. Isn't motivation part of coaching? What about consistancy?

Its not like he said that everything is going great, he mentioned that everyone has to adapt and improve, coaching staff included.

That's a possibility, but the strength of his "treat the MAC like the ACC" statement leads me to believe that he has faith the coaches had them equally prepared schematically for this one as they did for Maryland and NCState, but that he feels the players just didn't bring it. I could be wrong, though, but that's my take on his statements...

Reaction Score
That's a possibility, but the strength of his "treat the MAC like the ACC" statement leads me to believe that he has faith the coaches had them equally prepared schematically for this one as they did for Maryland and NCState, but that he feels the players just didn't bring it. I could be wrong, though, but that's my take on his statements...

Fact is its tough to believe that a team that hasn't one two games in a row that's coming off a losing season, can get overconfident, when their going to play a team that beat them last year. 500 yards of offense, sportscenter highlights shouldn't 9 starters that returned on D have expected this much. The team has done this before coming out with no energy, going through the motions, its like every other game last year they did this. sleep walking....

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I believe that people are making far too much of a few of his comments.

If he were to come out know and show any inclination of his looking to replace P, we could throw the remainder of the season down the drain (along with any recruit we are looking forward to signing in February) today. Beyond that, believe it or not, there is still quite a bit of time for many things to happen that could demonstrate development. This season, while disappointing at the moment, needs to be judged after a longer period of time.

3 - On the "treat the MAC like the ACC" comment, you bet you ass we should. What has anyone on the current roster (or any of the coaches for that matter) done that gives them the privilege of looking down on an opponent? Additionally, considering the results of a few games this past weekend are we sure that some of these MAC teams couldn't fare well against our prior two opponents?

I don't know if P (and staff) is the answer or not. I do know that our offense frustrates me more today than it did a few year ago (which is quite an indictment) and I cannot fathom how our offensive line has become so inept. I still view the false starts and missed assignments as evidence of a set of schemes that the players aren't yet comfortable and confident in, which falls (especially considering our line play prior to this regime) on the coaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom