Warde Manual ... this ain't UBuffalo | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Warde Manual ... this ain't UBuffalo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Probably not, but Ollie was the only JC guy on the planet had a chance of getting the job. And he only got it because of the timing that JC controlled. Having one of his guys as HC is vital for JC's ongoing rehabilitation. He needed his guy in there or else it was over.

But this entire thing with the contract isn't about Ollie, it's about UConn basketball's legacy. Are we UConn basketball fans? Or are we fans of the Jim Calhoun All-Star's in residency at UConn? It's not quite the same thing.

Ongoing rehabilitation? WTF are you talking about?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Probably not, but Ollie was the only JC guy on the planet had a chance of getting the job. And he only got it because of the timing that JC controlled. Having one of his guys as HC is vital for JC's ongoing rehabilitation. He needed his guy in there or else it was over.

But this entire thing with the contract isn't about Ollie, it's about UConn basketball's legacy. Are we UConn basketball fans? Or are we fans of the Jim Calhoun All-Star's in residency at UConn? It's not quite the same thing.
You already wrote this season off as irrelevant before JC retired. So now it is more so. We have an interim coach for seven months and then you will get your wish: KO will be gone, JC and his guys will soon follow, and before you know it you will have an AD-controlled basketball program that is free from JC's influence, just as you have been lobbying for for years. I can't wait to see how well that works out.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm actually COUNTING on the fact that his opinion is biased!! It's biased in a direction of protecting his legacy at UConn. That's the key for me. There is nobody on the planet that would want UConn men's basketball to succeed more than Jim Calhoun, because it's the house that he built. He's not going to help put someone into that spot that he believes would jeopardize that house.

A search conducted by someone who has been wearing a UConn hat for 10 months or so doesn't really hold the same weight with me. That might seem unfair of me to say, but that's certainly how I feel about it...

It's not a bad idea to solicit multiple opinions. I get that he cares more than a consultant. That's sort of the point it's good to have unemotional opinions considered.

It may have turned out that Ollie was the perfect choice. To have to make a call without a proper procedure is less than ideal.

Reaction Score
You already wrote this season off as irrelevant before JC retired. So now it is more so. We have an interim coach for seven months and then you will get your wish: KO will be gone, JC and his guys will soon follow, and before you know it you will have an AD-controlled basketball program that is free from JC's influence, just as you have been lobbying for for years. I can't wait to see how well that works out.

He was one of the guys pissing and moaning before the 2011 season. Tells you all you need to know.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
He was one of the guys pissing and moaning before the 2011 season. Tells you all you need to know.
But he's prescient. Just ask him.

BTW, he, Palatine and scooter are the same person, right?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Apparently, now it's ridiculous for academics not to be impressed by 17-11 records in the MAC.

It is if the coach in question did an impressive job.

Reaction Score
It is if the coach in question did an impressive job.

So, 17-11 tells you he did an impressive job. And that means what in the larger scheme of things? As I said, Hobbs won 30 games and was ranked 5. What did it mean? The fact is, Florida thought this guy was a coaching gun, because he had people vouching for him. His record at Marshall was unremarkable compared to a great many others. Look at Laranagga. He spent a lifetime putting up good performances, but it took decades to get noticed. Donovan's path upward was greased.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So, 17-11 tells you he did an impressive job. And that means what in the larger scheme of things? As I said, Hobbs won 30 games and was ranked 5. What did it mean? The fact is, Florida thought this guy was a coaching gun, because he had people vouching for him. His record at Marshall was unremarkable compared to a great many others. Look at Laranagga. He spent a lifetime putting up good performances, but it took decades to get noticed. Donovan's path upward was greased.

The fact that Donovan won two NCAA Championship kills your argument. Were those titles greased? He's a top-notch coach and he didn't just get good once he went to Florida.

Reaction Score
The fact that Donovan won two NCAA Championship kills your argument. Were those titles greased? He's a top-notch coach and he didn't just get good once he went to Florida.

Huh? That's exactly my point. He's a top coach despite the fact his path to a top BCS school was greased.

Two seasons winning games in the mid-teens in an unremarkable conference is not going to get you hired into a top 20 job. Yet it happened to him because of his bball background (pro, ass't), the fact he was a heady point guard, and because he had Pitino's backing all the way. Athletically, he was limited, yet excelled on the court.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
It's not a bad idea to solicit multiple opinions. I get that he cares more than a consultant. That's sort of the point it's good to have unemotional opinions considered.

It may have turned out that Ollie was the perfect choice. To have to make a call without a proper procedure is less than ideal.

Absolutely. This was pretty much the my point of my first post in this thread. There is nothing wrong with Manuel wanting to consider a 3 year commitment rather than being pushed into it. A desire for due diligence should not be taken as condemnation of Ollie, either.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm not as smart as some guys to figure it out. What rehabilitation are you talking about?

I'm guarding against his playing dumb, he's very good at it.

JC is one of the greatest coaches of all-time. But outside of CT, his legacy is "yeah, but". All the negative stuff that folks on this board give JC a free pass for is still what people think about when they hear UConn. That stuff will only pass with time.

Reaction Score
I'm guarding against his playing dumb, he's very good at it.

JC is one of the greatest coaches of all-time. But outside of CT, his legacy is "yeah, but". All the negative stuff that folks on this board give JC a free pass for is still what people think about when they hear UConn. That stuff will only pass with time.

You are too easily swayed. Get some balls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom