Wanted - Good D1 Football Players | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Wanted - Good D1 Football Players

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They should have beaten those three, sure. They didn't. OK. USF was played in non-stop heavy rain. I was there. It was brutal. A young team, first road game in adverse conditions not a recipe for success. Defense kept them in the game. The Tulane game was about as bad as the game against Cincinnati. Army flat out beat UConn. Two poor throws from a RS Senior QB severely hampered this team. When the "leader" of your offense (look at all the young pieces around him), makes back breaking turnovers such as the two INT's against Army it is tough to win. They fought back. They fought back hard and should have tied the ball game if not for the aforementioned INT sealing the deal. The triple option is/was something this team hadn't seen before. They dressed 61 scholarship players on Saturday night against Cincinnati. Think about that for a second. I can't imagine that number being much higher at any point in the season. That's 24 scholarship players under the allotted amount. That's rough.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
They should have beaten those three, sure. They didn't. OK. USF was played in non-stop heavy rain. I was there. It was brutal. A young team, first road game in adverse conditions not a recipe for success. Defense kept them in the game. The Tulane game was about as bad as the game against Cincinnati. Army flat out beat UConn. Two poor throws from a RS Senior QB severely hampered this team. When the "leader" of your offense (look at all the young pieces around him), makes back breaking turnovers such as the two INT's against Army it is tough to win. They fought back. They fought back hard and should have tied the ball game if not for the aforementioned INT sealing the deal. The triple option is/was something this team hadn't seen before. They dressed 61 scholarship players on Saturday night against Cincinnati. Think about that for a second. I can't imagine that number being much higher at any point in the season. That's 24 scholarship players under the allotted amount. That's rough.

There are so many problems with your analysis that I don't even know where to begin.

I guess I'll begin at the beginning. First, we threw 3 passes against USF until deep in the fourth quarter, where Diaco finally decided that hey, we probably need to throw the ball. Then, Chandler Whitmer goes 5/6 for 81 yards and a TD over the last 6 minutes. So, let's review that again.....three and a half quarters = 3 throws and 0 TDs, with the last 6 minutes = 6 throws for 81 yards and a TD. The USF QB threw 18 times, so apparently, the conditions did not prohibit them from some semblance of a balanced attack. The only reason the game was remotely close was due to the late first half heroics of Byron Jones. Ridiculous!

Next up; Army "flat out" beating us because of "two throws by our RS Senior QB". Well, that redshirt senior QB is the only damned reason that game was even close!!! He was not only our leading thrower, he was also our leading rusher! How in Christ's good name do we have our QB gain 14 more yards on the ground than any of our RB's...against Army?!? Our RB's only rushed 16 times against a defensive line that weighed about as much as my high school DL. 16 times. Ridiculous!

Next up; the fact that you believe that we lost to Cincy by a score of 41-0 because we "only" had 61 scholarship players playing. As if scholarship player #62 was going to score 14 points and scholarship player #63 would have had 3 pick-6's. Ridiculous!

I respect you, BNich, but you are very far off on your analysis. Not many people are seeing the situation the way you are seeing it. I desperately want to give the coaching staff a pass on this, because I want to have hope for the future. But if it looks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck, then guess what? At this point, it is even starting to say, "Hey...I'm a duck..."...

Reaction Score
There are so many problems with your analysis that I don't even know where to begin.

I guess I'll begin at the beginning. First, we threw 3 passes against USF until deep in the fourth quarter, where Diaco finally decided that hey, we probably need to throw the ball. Then, Chandler Whitmer goes 5/6 for 81 yards and a TD over the last 6 minutes. So, let's review that again.....three and a half quarters = 3 throws and 0 TDs, with the last 6 minutes = 6 throws for 81 yards and a TD. The USF QB threw 18 times, so apparently, the conditions did not prohibit them from some semblance of a balanced attack. The only reason the game was remotely close was due to the late first half heroics of Byron Jones. Ridiculous!

Next up; Army "flat out" beating us because of "two throws by our RS Senior QB". Well, that redshirt senior QB is the only damned reason that game was even close!!! He was not only our leading thrower, he was also our leading rusher! How in Christ's good name do we have our QB gain 14 more yards on the ground than any of our RB's...against Army?!? Our RB's only rushed 16 times against a defensive line that weighed about as much as my high school DL. 16 times. Ridiculous!

Next up; the fact that you believe that we lost to Cincy by a score of 41-0 because we "only" had 61 scholarship players playing. As if scholarship player #62 was going to score 14 points and scholarship player #63 would have had 3 pick-6's. Ridiculous!

I respect you, BNich, but you are very far off on your analysis. Not many people are seeing the situation the way you are seeing it. I desperately want to give the coaching staff a pass on this, because I want to have hope for the future. But if it looks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck, then guess what? At this point, it is even starting to say, "Hey...I'm a duck..."...

Dan. Thanks for putting words in my mouth, I didn't say at all anywhere that fielding 61 scholarship players against cincy led to a 41-0 loss. You came up with that assumption. I was just trying to put things in to perspective, where this team was at against (what we all knew) to be a superior opponent. This program is beat down, depleted and void pretty much of any winning ways. Don't bring up the three Weist wins, he is gone and by many missed. I myself was in the Weist camp.

I was at the USF game. It rained and it rained and it rained. We're talking about a QB that threw picks in dry perfect conditions as well. Do I agree with the "game plan" or play calling no. The team was still there in the end with a chance to win. Jones' pick 6, those things happen in games. It was a huge play for UConn. I was pumped. It's also how other teams beat Uconn. It's part of the game and shouldn't be considered luck or otherwise. Teams have done it against Uconn and they have been momentum shifters and game deciding plays. Army beat Uconn. They outplayed them. They outperformed them ( just another way of saying they got beat). What more is there to say about that? You think Uconn has enough talent to beat all three teams you mentioned? Maybe they do. Where do you see this talent? Why didn't they beat the likes of Towson, Buffalo, SMU and others one season ago? Many of the players that took the field against Cincy, didn't even sniff the field last year. Many of the starters were less than 1-2 seasons into their college careers. That doesn't sound like maturity, experience and based on the past 3 season records, sound like talent to me. How many teams in college football field as many freshmen as UConn?

I don't agree with every decision made by the head coach, but I don't think he is to blame for everything. Sure some moves are suspect and I grumble in disbelief/displeasure. At the same time, we are witnessing a rookie head coach, with what I would call a substantially rookie line-up. Not to mention, the new lifestyle, new playbook, new culture, we could go on and on. You're also talking about many players that, for one reason or another, had a connection or understanding with the previous staff. They came here because of other coaches/reasons. Some may not have bought into the new way of things. Hence the increased numbers in roster attrition. Football is the ultimate team game. Some may be riding this season out thinking of greener fields beyond Uconn. Others may have bought in and disagree with those lining up next to them. Time will tell. This season is/was rough. But I have hope, I have optimism, and I have enthusiasm for the program moving forward.

Dan, I feel your upbeat spirit is waining. This upsets me. You're not the same poster/passionate diehard you outwardly portrayed on here that you once were. I care for this program. I care for this University despite having no connections to the school. I am a born and bred CT product. I now live in Florida due to work, but I cheer my heart out week in and week out, because I love where I am from. I love the University I grew up cheering for (football and Basketball M/W) and I want nothing but the best for UConn Athletics. While I am disappointed in the past 4 years, I still have eyes and a mind for the future. I have hope that better days are ahead.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Dan. Thanks for putting words in my mouth, I didn't say at all anywhere that fielding 61 scholarship players against cincy led to a 41-0 loss. You came up with that assumption. I was just trying to put things in to perspective, where this team was at against (what we all knew) to be a superior opponent. This program is beat down, depleted and void pretty much of any winning ways. Don't bring up the three Weist wins, he is gone and by many missed. I myself was in the Weist camp.

I was at the USF game. It rained and it rained and it rained. We're talking about a QB that threw picks in dry perfect conditions as well. Do I agree with the "game plan" or play calling no. The team was still there in the end with a chance to win. Jones' pick 6, those things happen in games. It was a huge play for UConn. I was pumped. It's also how other teams beat Uconn. It's part of the game and shouldn't be considered luck or otherwise. Teams have done it against Uconn and they have been momentum shifters and game deciding plays. Army beat Uconn. They outplayed them. They outperformed them ( just another way of saying they got beat). What more is there to say about that? You think Uconn has enough talent to beat all three teams you mentioned? Maybe they do. Where do you see this talent? Why didn't they beat the likes of Towson, Buffalo, SMU and others one season ago? Many of the players that took the field against Cincy, didn't even sniff the field last year. Many of the starters were less than 1-2 seasons into their college careers. That doesn't sound like maturity, experience and based on the past 3 season records, sound like talent to me. How many teams in college football field as many freshmen as UConn?

I don't agree with every decision made by the head coach, but I don't think he is to blame for everything. Sure some moves are suspect and I grumble in disbelief/displeasure. At the same time, we are witnessing a rookie head coach, with what I would call a substantially rookie line-up. Not to mention, the new lifestyle, new playbook, new culture, we could go on and on. You're also talking about many players that, for one reason or another, had a connection or understanding with the previous staff. They came here because of other coaches/reasons. Some may not have bought into the new way of things. Hence the increased numbers in roster attrition. Football is the ultimate team game. Some may be riding this season out thinking of greener fields beyond Uconn. Others may have bought in and disagree with those lining up next to them. Time will tell. This season is/was rough. But I have hope, I have optimism, and I have enthusiasm for the program moving forward.

Dan, I feel your upbeat spirit is waining. This upsets me. You're not the same poster/passionate diehard you outwardly portrayed on here that you once were. I care for this program. I care for this University despite having no connections to the school. I am a born and bred CT product. I now live in Florida due to work, but I cheer my heart out week in and week out, because I love where I am from. I love the University I grew up cheering for (football and Basketball M/W) and I want nothing but the best for UConn Athletics. While I am disappointed in the past 4 years, I still have eyes and a mind for the future. I have hope that better days are ahead.

So you just brought up the 61 scholly players for "ha ha's". Not for any reason that might imply that had something to do with the 41-0 loss. Okay.

My upbeat spirit is indeed waining. But that has nothing to do with how "diehard" I am, as I remain diehard to this day and will continue until my heart ceases to beat national flag blue blood. But as it pertains to this thread, the idea that we didn't have the talent to beat Army, Tulane, and other weaker teams is purely false. Another way to say it is this; if the talent wasn't good enough, then why did we fire Pasqualoni??? Clearly, he didn't have the talent to beat Towson or Buffalo (like you mentioned), so we shouldn't have blamed him. Oh, but there was that game where we played down to the wire with, and should have beaten, Michigan. Not sure how that happens with a team that doesn't belong on the same field with Buffalo. The same can be said this year about a team that beat UCF. Not sure how that happens with a team that doesn't belong on the field with Army.

Do you see where I'm going with this? I'm upset. I'm upset because I feel like the coaching staff has not put the kids in a position to win. In fact, by their own admission, they were not concerned with winning the first four games of the season. They were proud that they were switching back and forth between Cochran and Whitmer (and later, Whitmer and Boyle). They were proud that they played 55 players in one game and got Puyol some work from the right hash. See where I'm going with this? The reason I'm not as upbeat is because someone is tapping out all of my rocks...

Reaction Score
Where are you going with this?

Your posts have taken on a decidedly negative feel. And you have become increasingly critical of the decisions being made. Which is understandable to an extent. Like I said, I don't agree with every decision being made, but people continue to comment that G.Stewart takes poor angles, can't tackle, etc. He's going to be a RS JR in college football years and spent a year at Florida. If he couldn't learn anything there, how/why would he learn anything here in the AAC at Uconn? There have been many head scratching plays/decisions this season. If players can't perform simple tasks, what is the staff supposed to ask of them? They're young, in-experienced and will hopefully grow from year 1 to 2.

Did not bring up the scholarship number for "ha ha's". I did simply to point out how thin and depleted this roster really is. There are 16 true freshmen on the roster. 11 of which are playing and seeing regular time. Two of which get touches at RB, two get snaps at CB, 2-3 gets snaps on the OL, countless others on special teams, etc. You won't want to hear it, but Diaco has spoken about everyone getting better. They get better by playing. Freshmen are playing many snaps. I would take a veteran "less talented" team over a very young yet presumably talented team any day when it comes to winning and winning now.

What do we have to go on by "judging" this team as having talent, HS highlight tapes? HS talent, at least at the level that UConn must recruit generally doesn't have an instant impact nor instant game changing effects at the D1 level. Yet, due to the lack of depth on the roster freshmen are thrown into the current mix to field a team building for the future and years to come.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Where are you going with this?

Your posts have taken on a decidedly negative feel. And you have become increasingly critical of the decisions being made. Which is understandable to an extent. Like I said, I don't agree with every decision being made, but people continue to comment that G.Stewart takes poor angles, can't tackle, etc. He's going to be a RS JR in college football years and spent a year at Florida. If he couldn't learn anything there, how/why would he learn anything here in the AAC at Uconn? There have been many head scratching plays/decisions this season. If players can't perform simple tasks, what is the staff supposed to ask of them? They're young, in-experienced and will hopefully grow from year 1 to 2.

Did not bring up the scholarship number for "ha ha's". I did simply to point out how thin and depleted this roster really is. There are 16 true freshmen on the roster. 11 of which are playing and seeing regular time. Two of which get touches at RB, two get snaps at CB, 2-3 gets snaps on the OL, countless others on special teams, etc. You won't want to hear it, but Diaco has spoken about everyone getting better. They get better by playing. Freshmen are playing many snaps. I would take a veteran "less talented" team over a very young yet presumably talented team any day when it comes to winning and winning now.

What do we have to go on by "judging" this team as having talent, HS highlight tapes? HS talent, at least at the level that UConn must recruit generally doesn't have an instant impact nor instant game changing effects at the D1 level. Yet, due to the lack of depth on the roster freshmen are thrown into the current mix to field a team building for the future and years to come.

What do we have to go on? A win against UCF. A valiant effort against ECU. That's what we have to go on.

But hey, if you think that it's the right thing to do to play 3 QB's in the first quarter of a game, and then yank back to the first guy, then okay I guess. I don't think it's the right thing to do, and it's stuff like that which has me posting negative posts...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What do we have to go on? A win against UCF. A valiant effort against ECU. That's what we have to go on.

But hey, if you think that it's the right thing to do to play 3 QB's in the first quarter of a game, and then yank back to the first guy, then okay I guess. I don't think it's the right thing to do, and it's stuff like that which has me posting negative posts...

It's just too nuanced for you Dan.

By using more quarterbacks than net yards gained in the first quarter -Diaco unlocked a special level in Candy Crush.

Reaction Score

Again, I don't agree with every decision. I also wouldn't call it 3 QB's. Why people continue to say this is not correct. Foxx is a playmaker, a WR, not a QB. It is a wildcat formation, Something to shake up the game plan and throw something different at the defense. It worked against some, it work against all. Most teams have a starting QB and that doesn't change unless injury or circumstances call for a chance. Like I said, I don't agree with every decision, the handling of the QB's being one of them, I also don't see this as a "3 QB rotation".

I'm watching the same games you are. My heart and passion is invested in this team and program is every bit as much as you. It kills me to see losses mount up and poor play continue. I don't like seeing it either. I am a born Raider Fan. I know poor play year after year. I have become accustomed to losing. I guess I have just become adverse to poor play and hope for the future. Good pieces and building blocks are in place. Just need some balls to bounce UConn's way and some breaks that they haven't been getting start to fall their way. I hold out hope. I didn't expect great things this year. Sure I would have expected a couple more wins a few close games, but its not the end of the world nor the closure of the program.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Again, I don't agree with every decision. I also wouldn't call it 3 QB's. Why people continue to say this is not correct. Foxx is a playmaker, a WR, not a QB. It is a wildcat formation, Something to shake up the game plan and throw something different at the defense. It worked against some, it work against all. Most teams have a starting QB and that doesn't change unless injury or circumstances call for a chance. Like I said, I don't agree with every decision, the handling of the QB's being one of them, I also don't see this as a "3 QB rotation".

I'm watching the same games you are. My heart and passion is invested in this team and program is every bit as much as you. It kills me to see losses mount up and poor play continue. I don't like seeing it either. I am a born Raider Fan. I know poor play year after year. I have become accustomed to losing. I guess I have just become adverse to poor play and hope for the future. Good pieces and building blocks are in place. Just need some balls to bounce UConn's way and some breaks that they haven't been getting start to fall their way. I hold out hope. I didn't expect great things this year. Sure I would have expected a couple more wins a few close games, but its not the end of the world nor the closure of the program.

Oh no, you must be mistaken. Because I've heard from Coach Diaco at least twice in press conferences that Foxx knows the playbook and can make all the throws. So make no mistake, he's a QB...

Reaction Score
Oh no, you must be mistaken. Because I've heard from Coach Diaco at least twice in press conferences that Foxx knows the playbook and can make all the throws. So make no mistake, he's a QB...
That doesn't make him a QB. He has never started a game at QB nor will he ever (not counting HS). Seriously? Brad Smith ran this package for the Jets for a number of years. RB's/WR's run these formations for programs all over the country. Please. Stop with the 3 QB talk. Diaco and staff were searching for anything that would work and lead to positive offense plays.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
That doesn't make him a QB. He has never started a game at QB nor will he ever (not counting HS). Seriously? Brad Smith ran this package for the Jets for a number of years. RB's/WR's run these formations for programs all over the country. Please. Stop with the 3 QB talk. Diaco and staff were searching for anything that would work and lead to positive offense plays.

Any time you take reps away from a starting QB, you cool them down. Period. End of story. They did it to Boyle this past game too. Choose a damned QB and stick with him!!! That's what everyone here has been complaining about for months!

Reaction Score
Any time you take reps away from a starting QB, you cool them down. Period. End of story. They did it to Boyle this past game too. Choose a damned QB and stick with him!!! That's what everyone here has been complaining about for months!
Again, I don't nor have I agreed with every decision thus far. This being one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom