Wall posters | The Boneyard

Wall posters

Status
Not open for further replies.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
At the scrimmage, they had wall posters available for the taking with an overhead view of a totally packed Rent.
That was the good. But it is clearly from the Michigan game last year with the extra stands near the scoreboard. The bad is that there is so much yellow visible in the stands that ought to be a sea of national flag blue as to be embarrassing. It's all over the stadium (my section of great seats was probably half UMich fans last year) and a sign of both the lack of attendance by UConn fans last year as well as of the UConn ticket sales methods that favor corporate buyers over fan loyalty.

Reaction Score
Some article recently ranking the best basketball arenas put a picture of a Cuse game with 3k or so orange shirts for the picture of Gampel. Kinda dumb.

Reaction Score
Funny how two people can look at things so differently. Once I figured out it was from the Mich game, my first thought was... "Wow what a great picture of a full stadium."

Then I looked again and thought...."The bleachers look cool full of Mich fans, but thank God there were only spots of yellow around the stadium and not a sea of gold"

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Funny how two people can look at things so differently. Once I figured out it was from the Mich game, my first thought was... "Wow what a great picture of a full stadium."

Then I looked again and thought...."The bleachers look cool full of Mich fans, but thank God there were only spots of yellow around the stadium and not a sea of gold"

We're you at the game? A load of maize and blue in the good seats.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
A load of UConn "fans" profited from selling their tix and souls.;)

If you've been to the Big House, which is 3 times the size of the Rent, except for seats allotted for the visiting team, one is hard-pressed to spot anything but maize and blue. UConn is in the money business, ,not the loyalty business, in how it sells seats. You get what you pay for. My seats are terrific, 50 yd. line, lower upper deck, and with just a few exceptions, I never see the same people from one game to the next. Lots of corporate buyers, lots of tickets there for the giving away, and the "bad" games have a bunch of sold but vacant seats. The UM game atmosphere was great, but too bad so much of the atmosphere came from so many UM fans. One of my sons is a UM grad and came to the game with 7 UM friends. They got very good seats not in the corner visitor's section. My own section was full of people wearing UM colors.

Reaction Score
If you've been to the Big House, which is 3 times the size of the Rent, except for seats allotted for the visiting team, one is hard-pressed to spot anything but maize and blue. UConn is in the money business, ,not the loyalty business, in how it sells seats. You get what you pay for. My seats are terrific, 50 yd. line, lower upper deck, and with just a few exceptions, I never see the same people from one game to the next. Lots of corporate buyers, lots of tickets there for the giving away, and the "bad" games have a bunch of sold but vacant seats. The UM game atmosphere was great, but too bad so much of the atmosphere came from so many UM fans. One of my sons is a UM grad and came to the game with 7 UM friends. They got very good seats not in the corner visitor's section. My own section was full of people wearing UM colors.

I went to Michigan when UConn opened the renovated Big House in addition to many other college stadiums across the country. If the fan base is rabid enough, they will find tickets.

Are you saying that no UConn fan/season ticket holders sold their ticket to the UM game for a profit?

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I went to Michigan when UConn opened the renovated Big House in addition to many other college stadiums across the country. If the fan base is rabid enough, they will find tickets.

Are you saying that no UConn fan/season ticket holders sold their ticket to the UM game for a profit?
I'm saying a load of UConn seats are sold to corporate seasons ticket holders who unload tickets any way they can or not at all. Were there UConn fans who sold their tickets at a profit to UM fans? I have no way of knowing, but the likelihood is that there was at least one mercenary among our fan base.

The point I'm making is that we have more "sold" seats than we have actual fans holding seasons tickets who intend to put their own rear end in a seat. All I'm saying is that I think that so long as the emphasis is on contributions, the day when too many choice seats are filled by non-regulars if not opponents is not close at hand. The atmosphere was great at the UM game, but the presence of many UM fans had more to do with it than ought to be the case.

Reaction Score
Whoever says 40% Michigan fans that day is irrational. Quick look at the picture: 10-15% max. As someone said shortly after the game, a lot of Michigan fans were disguised in national flag blue and making a ton of noise every time UCONN needed them.

Reaction Score
It's the color. If you took all the UConn fans in blue and put them in pink, you would get a different impression of that photo.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, the Michigan game was the only sellout if the past few seasons under Pasqualoni. It's either using a pic of the Michigan game, a pic from 2011, or the Memphis game and a quote to the effect of "Rise Up. Come Back."

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Who said there were 40% Michigan fans? Look, my good friends, what is undeniable, putting the UM game aside, is that unless UConn is having a good season, and even then, often enough when UConn is playing a "less interesting" opponent there are many empty "sold" seats. If you think that happens at UM, or VTech (I'm familiar with game day there) and other places, you've never been there. How do I know these are "sold seats", especially the midfield seats in the lower deck and most of the way up in the upper deck, you know, the expensive seats that are conspicuously empty in many games? I have a very close friend who works in the ticket office. If you think the empty or non-UConn fan sitting in those seats isn't connected to how seats are sold, think again. If you have that poster, look again and I guarantee you there are way too many seats all over the stadium occupied by the visible UM fans, forgetting those who might not be wearing the yellow shirts. That is not typical of stadiums with with significant fan bases.

Maybe some of y'all think having a full stadium, for a game like UM, is great regardless of the fact that a load of the better seats were occupied by UM fans and not UConn fans, you have a different definition of what crowd support is. Yeah, you can get tickets for Mich home games, but pretty widely scattered and scalpers abound. You just don't see good seats owned by UM fans (and I'd wager at most schools with rabid fan bases) not occupied by those fans. We're a long way from that. It was pretty clear from remarks WM made at the pre-scrimmage event that season ticket sales aren't where they'd like them to be. So long as hefty donations are part of the deal, the buying customers will be whomever feels they have the cash to toss away to buy, and it just so happens, that includes a bunch of corporate buyers and otherwise reasonably well off folks. ie. can either write off the expense or can afford not to attend an event they've paid for.

Bottom line, wouldn't it be a lot better if UConn was able to put out a poster of a full stadium with the only noticeable thing being nothing but people in UConn colors?

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
I think the posters are a step up from last year's... I also dig the pocket schedules with Diaco on them! But yeah, you would have thought that UConn would have tried to photoshop out at least some of that yellow from the photo.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
That's not Michigan maize. Those are raincoats.;)

Yes, it was a beautiful night for football that week, but in another year, no one else is going to remember what the weather was like.

Reaction Score

Yes, it was a beautiful night for football that week, but in another year, no one else is going to remember what the weather was like.
I definitely got rained on. Don't forget all the added security!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

They do make blue raincoats. At least blue wouldn't be confused with Temple.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Kindly un-chap your a5s ;). It was a joke...

Reaction Score
BoatShow said:
Some article recently ranking the best basketball arenas put a picture of a Cuse game with 3k or so orange shirts for the picture of Gampel. Kinda dumb.

A game at gampel with 3k orange fans would be the first. I think that game was in 2012 and there was a few hundred cuse fans at most.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom