Walking Dead Season 5 second half | The Boneyard

Walking Dead Season 5 second half

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It's back this Sunday. Episode 509. Written by Gimple, directed by Nicotero. Should be a good one.

As an aside, it gonna be a lead in to the premiere of Better Call Saul. (Yes that Saul from Breaking Bad, he's got his own show now)

Reaction Score
Wow....shocker tonight. Did not see that coming.....

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Wow....shocker tonight. Did not see that coming.....
Didn't think it would be 509. But I had read recently that Chad Coleman has signed for another show....so..... knew something was up. Actually kind of cool how they did it. I thought that they were burying Beth at the beginning.

On Talking Dead they said it was Andy's voice on the radio. I didn't catch that.

Reaction Score
Any episode without Carl is a good episode.

The way they filmed it almost seemed like a Breaking Bad episode where they foreshadow the ending right at the beginning of the episode and you fill in the blanks on the way. Maybe a nod to the Better Call Saul premier?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Any episode without Carl is a good episode.

The way they filmed it almost seemed like a Breaking Bad episode where they foreshadow the ending right at the beginning of the episode and you fill in the blanks on the way. Maybe a nod to the Better Call Saul premier?
Maybe, but I think I remember them doing this once before. "18 Miles Out" used some foreshadowing, in a way. (Another episode Gimple wrote.)

Was reading some comments on an article about last night's episode. One person was kinda complaining about the episode and TWD overall saying "The relentlessness with which humans visit destruction on humans can't be good for us emotionally." Another responded "That's the point." I thought that was pretty insightful.

Reaction Score
Didn't read the above posts…I haven’t watched the new show yet so I wish to avoid spoilers. That being said, the show has been dragged down – slowed down - by endless ‘back story’ episodes. I’d like to know a bit about the characters. Some information is fine, even interesting. The rest is just filler, and waste of time.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Didn't read the above posts…I haven’t watched the new show yet so I wish to avoid spoilers. That being said, the show has been dragged down – slowed down - by endless ‘back story’ episodes. I’d like to know a bit about the characters. Some information is fine, even interesting. The rest is just filler, and waste of time.
They really haven't had any back story episodes this season. ???

Reaction Score
They really haven't had any back story episodes this season. ???

Okay, last season…when everyone was separated and heading to Terminus. Whatever.

Regardless, when the show started I didn’t think a ‘Zombie’ show would have legs. I watched the first six episodes and it was good and, I thought, finished. Season two surprised me. It was very good! I think the biggest mistake the producers have made to date was killing Shane. Maybe it’s in the graphic novel and they felt they must double-tap the guy. Don’t know. However, the show has not been as good since they put him down. Furthermore, Rick has, over the seasons, become more Shane-like… do what needs to be done. As I recall, that’s what Shane was all about.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Okay, last season…when everyone was separated and heading to Terminus. Whatever.
Ok. I wouldn't necessarily call them "back stories", but I think I see what you were talking about. One or two character centric episodes where the viewer gets to know them better. Yea, some people didn't like them, others did. Some people want the show to be more action driven, others more character driven. They have to walk a fine line. They seem to be doing ok, they are still killing it in the ratings. 15.6M is a good number. (Highest Breaking Bad ever got was a 10.2 for the Series Finale)

Regardless, when the show started I didn’t think a ‘Zombie’ show would have legs. I watched the first six episodes and it was good and, I thought, finished. Season two surprised me. It was very good!
Interesting, a lot of people didn't like Season 2 because they said it was too character centric, not enough action. A bit like the 2nd half of Season 4.

I think the biggest mistake the producers have made to date was killing Shane. Maybe it’s in the graphic novel and they felt they must double-tap the guy. Don’t know. However, the show has not been as good since they put him down.
Yes, that was in the comics. I'm not sure how long they could have gone with the conflict between the two. I agree Season 3 left a bit to be desired (at least compared to the others, although the first 4 Episodes of Season 3 were pretty good, then it kind of bogged down, relatively). But Season 4 was very good, especially with everyone out on the road after the prison fell. And Season 5 has been fantastic to date. Best yet.

Furthermore, Rick has, over the seasons, become more Shane-like… do what needs to be done. As I recall, that’s what Shane was all about.
Yep, exactly. They've done a great job if they've got you to recognize the change in Rick. That's basically the premise of the whole show. How people change. What this apocalyptic world does to each one.

Reaction Score
Yep, exactly. They've done a great job if they've got you to recognize the change in Rick. That's basically the premise of the whole show. How people change. What this apocalyptic world does to each one.

I still watch the show but to call me a ‘fan’ would be to overstate. I have heard it’s the most popular show on the tube at present. Very impressive. As long as they routinely kill off ‘main’ characters and infuse the show with new blood I’ll go along for the ride.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I'm guessing the timeline from episode 1 to his past one is about 15 months basing this on Judith's look to being about a year old and she was in the womb for a bit?

Also, why the hell did Tyrese get so fixated on those photographs that he spaced out too long. Was he seeing that Noah was his kid? :O

Reaction Score
I'm guessing the timeline from episode 1 to his past one is about 15 months basing this on Judith's look to being about a year old and she was in the womb for a bit?

Also, why the hell did Tyrese get so fixated on those photographs that he spaced out too long. Was he seeing that Noah was his kid? :O
I give the episode a B+. ON Dove's points Judith has to age at an accelerated dog years rate otherwise we will be watching Full Zombie House by next season. Likewise the trope of momentarily averting your attention and getting attacked is a 'bit' overused, but it is nonetheless likely that the constant hyper-vigilance would necessarily make it inevitable that you lose focus followed by CHOMP.

To me the most interesting part of that episode is a vibe I got that the show is going significantly darker and creepier. I think part of its broad appeal is the Slasher film kind of schlocky gore that we know is fake. They mostly stop short of true horror. Very few zombie children until now and rarely show things that would truly be mind- scary (Lizzy final episode is one, and having Noah kill his zombie brother with a toy airplane certainly qualifies). The Governor was not scary. In a horror movie the "Claimed" group would have done something nasty to Carl or Michone before getting defeated. Gareth's group was but they defeated them too quick and they only ate one of our group. Had Gareth picked off two or three before succumbing the terror could have gotten real. Anyway, I think the half-torso zombies is setting the stage for a truly scary & ruthless group.

Tyreese flashbacks were good, but though he was good in those flashbacks scenes the Governor makes it comedic for me and undoes any terror. Should have simply gone with Detroit Tigers guy as the dark side.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
I found this episode to be hugely disappointing.

I had heard from a few different sources during the break that the show was taking a new direction and all I saw was more of the same.

I'm not sure the show is in decline, but my expectations for series' have grown from watching shows like Game of Thrones and American Horror Story. I was a huge fan of TWD in past seasons, but now it seems to lack complexity.

I think the producers should have introduced other groups, followed them, and gotten the viewers invested in them to the point of rooting for them as much as Rick's group. Then gradually put the different groups on a collision course. That would have tested the viewers allegiances.

The way the show works now, Rick's group has questionable morality. But there is never a doubt that they are morally superior to the other groups they encounter. So we always root for them, and they suffer casualties but always persevere.

Just my opinion. Don't want to turn anyone off to the show. But there is a good chance I won't watch another episode.

Reaction Score

Think a lot of people were hanging on ‘remembering’ the good WD and hoping. No sale. Viewership down 50% in my household. That, of course, won’t move the needle, but it is hard to imagine we’re alone in changing channels. I will be surprised if WD ends this season as ‘the most popular show on TV’. Better stuff out there….

Reaction Score
Rinaldi said:
Think a lot of people were hanging on ‘remembering’ the good WD and hoping. No sale. Viewership down 50% in my household. That, of course, won’t move the needle, but it is hard to imagine we’re alone in changing channels. I will be surprised if WD ends this season as ‘the most popular show on TV’. Better stuff out there….

But at same time slot? Walking Dead fell off a cliff after season 2, but I still think it appeals to people because of the Zombie aspect. The writing hasn't been good since season 2 and people still flock.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
But at same time slot? Walking Dead fell off a cliff after season 2, but I still think it appeals to people because of the Zombie aspect. The writing hasn't been good since season 2 and people still flock.

Do people still stick to time slots? The superbowl was the first thing I saw in its time slot since the NCAA final.

Reaction Score

I had heard from a few different sources during the break that the show was taking a new direction and all I saw was more of the same.

I'm not sure the show is in decline, but my expectations for series' have grown from watching shows like Game of Thrones and American Horror Story. I was a huge fan of TWD in past seasons, but now it seems to lack complexity.

I think the producers should have introduced other groups, followed them, and gotten the viewers invested in them to the point of rooting for them as much as Rick's group. Then gradually put the different groups on a collision course. That would have tested the viewers allegiances.

The way the show works now, Rick's group has questionable morality. But there is never a doubt that they are morally superior to the other groups they encounter. So we always root for them, and they suffer casualties but always persevere.

Just my opinion. Don't want to turn anyone off to the show. But there is a good chance I won't watch another episode.
I heard an interesting theory on Walking Dead's disappointing nature for many, simply that its 'story engine' is poor. I think this is easy to miss because presumably surviving in apocalyptic world of Zombies is never-ending feeder of story, but obviously with no minds to those villains the zombie engine only provides BOO! moments and action sequences. They've almost never told a zombie story because the zombies are by definition inexplicable and a plot trap. Only the CDC episode was a zombie think-piece storyline.

They've continually forced human villains to make story. Problem is most of these have been short-lived or too drawn out. And as tdrink point out rather than make it ambiguous other groups its always purely good vs evil (Governor, Claimed, Terminus, Hospital)

So the natural stories are what happens when you go here or there and what happens when you stay put. The depth to layer into this is morality and how the grim reality weighs on you. They try to show this inner struggle but it is hard and easily missed OR when they do speak about it, it seems melodramatic or trite. They do seem to be adding road-weariness to the characters, but if they aren't hoping or trying to find nirvana it is kind of hard to relate to frustration at being stuck. The audience says/thinks if you are so damn frustrated try something new!?

I think the natural story should be trying to find a safe place or nirvana, but because Kirkman is so dead set against any solution or any truly safe spot he steers way clear of this. Exception of course was the group all trying for and re-uniting at Terminus. Not coincidentally that plotline is where the series gained its most viewers and critical acclaim.

A smarter show would now have them trying an island but failing, trying skyscrapers but failing, underground cities, treehouses, boathouses etc... Instead they put them in a doomed by its nature prison to ceaselessly beat home the doomed theme. Hopefully the quest for Washington is legit and that carries this mini-season, maybe with sprinkled in WOLF villains that stay either unknown or ambiguous.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
What? Episode 1 meaning 1/1 or 5/1? Either way not 15 months. She was born 3/4.

I think it had to do with him was seeing a dead boy in the bed and now looking at the pictures, 'wait, what? there were twins?" Also twin boys and he had just lost the girls (though not twins pretty close in age). And as we see in the fever state he had not come to terms with their deaths yet.

In the Talking Dead Coleman talked about the people who appeared in the fever state dream sequence as situations that his mind had not come to terms with. I guess he had spent most of the time dealing with Karen, since she didn't show up.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Viewership is doing pretty well (outside your home). People talk about Game of Thrones or even Breaking Bad popularity, but they were not even in the ballpark. The highest GoT viewership was 7.2 mil. Heck Talking Dead (the aftershow has pulled in 7.3 mil) Breaking Bad didn't break 3 mil til 2nd half of their final season. Finally topping out at 10.28 for the Series Finale. Walking Dead hasn't been under 10 mil since Season 3. And their highest rated was this season, 17.29 mil.

So no, a lot of people aren't remembering the good WD. So even though some like you might be changing channels, more people coming each year.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Maybe she (the actress) wasn't available.
Possibly. But not what he said or implied. (not saying he wouldn't cover for the show, but they are usually pretty open on the Talking Dead about what they did and why. Granted they don't give away what's coming up though. )

Reaction Score
Possibly. But not what he said or implied. (not saying he wouldn't cover for the show, but they are usually pretty open on the Talking Dead about what they did and why. Granted they don't give away what's coming up though. )
Glad you found something you clearly enjoy. I have only watched a minute or two of 'Talking Dead'. Thanks for passing along the viewership numbers...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Most people would disagree with you. Lot's of people didn't like Season 2 or the writing in Season 2. I thought it was fine, but...whatever. However since Gimple as come on as the Show Runner, the writing and story telling has greatly improved. This Season has easily been the best so far. Gimple has written some of the better episodes throughout. (What Happened and What's Going On 509, No Sanctuary 501, The Grove 414, Clear 312, Eighteen Miles Out 210, Pretty Much Dead Already 207)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I heard an interesting theory on Walking Dead's disappointing nature for many, simply that its 'story engine' is poor. I think this is easy to miss because presumably surviving in apocalyptic world of Zombies is never-ending feeder of story, but obviously with no minds to those villains the zombie engine only provides BOO! moments and action sequences. They've almost never told a zombie story because the zombies are by definition inexplicable and a plot trap. Only the CDC episode was a zombie think-piece storyline.

They've continually forced human villains to make story. Problem is most of these have been short-lived or too drawn out. And as tdrink point out rather than make it ambiguous other groups its always purely good vs evil (Governor, Claimed, Terminus, Hospital)

So the natural stories are what happens when you go here or there and what happens when you stay put. The depth to layer into this is morality and how the grim reality weighs on you. They try to show this inner struggle but it is hard and easily missed OR when they do speak about it, it seems melodramatic or trite. They do seem to be adding road-weariness to the characters, but if they aren't hoping or trying to find nirvana it is kind of hard to relate to frustration at being stuck. The audience says/thinks if you are so damn frustrated try something new!?

I think the natural story should be trying to find a safe place or nirvana, but because Kirkman is so dead set against any solution or any truly safe spot he steers way clear of this. Exception of course was the group all trying for and re-uniting at Terminus. Not coincidentally that plotline is where the series gained its most viewers and critical acclaim.

A smarter show would now have them trying an island but failing, trying skyscrapers but failing, underground cities, treehouses, boathouses etc... Instead they put them in a doomed by its nature prison to ceaselessly beat home the doomed theme. Hopefully the quest for Washington is legit and that carries this mini-season, maybe with sprinkled in WOLF villains that stay either unknown or ambiguous.
Well the show, as I'm sure most know, has the comics as the source. So it's pretty well set where they are going and what they are going to do. And Kirkman is still working with them so I don't see that really changing. They will/do move things around a bit. Give certain aspects to different characters, different deaths and such to different characters, change around the sequence of things. But a lot stays the same. Just the way it is.

The comics had a pretty big following and probably account for a lot of viewership, so they want to see the comics brought to life. Can't piss all them off. But they do try to change it up some to throw them off, or drop Easter Eggs for them. (For instance, Potential Spoiler - in the comics Glenn was killed by someone with a baseball bat. Twice now, they've had Glenn around a baseball bat.) (or in the comics Tyreese was the badass lieutenant to Rick. But Daryl has pretty much filled that role, so they made Tyreese more the moral authority role)

The Walking Dead is really not about the zombie apocalypse. It could have been anything that caused the apocalypse. The story is about survival and how humans change or don't change without civilization (laws, order, etc.). Zombies are just like wild dogs or locusts or werewolves or aliens, something they have to deal with while traversing this new world.

I mean the big line in the comics is that the survivors are the "walking dead" not the walkers.

Reaction Score
Well the show, as I'm sure most know, has the comics as the source. So it's pretty well set where they are going and what they are going to do. And Kirkman is still working with them so I don't see that really changing. .
Isn't that dooming them to half-empty story then? I mean a comic cannot 1hr of TV make. And it has to be very difficult to expand stories into certain beats that must be hit via lines or scenes.

But it is do-able. With previous episode we simply needed to see more than just pictures of the Richmond folk and the fallen town aftermath. Show the town running and people enjoying themselves and then inject our characters into that. This way the viewers are devastated along with Rick & Michonne, not just the Noah kid that we barely know. I think the show's kindred spirit is the Incredible Hulk. In that show we hoped David Banner would find peace in his new town, he met nice people and had to protect them, but then bad-guy, maybe dreaded reporter plus the two scenes of hulking out per episode. Then back to the slog of surviving. When the Walking Dead hits that formula (i.e. meeting the Preacher) it is at its most entertaining.

The fact that they do switches with comics vs TV characters in storylines is totally irrelevant to non-comic readers. But I can see how the Glen thing (don't give any more spoilers like that though!) can make the show more edge-of-seat riveting for comic readers that know too much about what is happening. And equally the infill your brain does with reading (even comics I suppose though I've never read) supplies much more plot and character backstory, so its not surprising that comic readers find the TV show richer than non-coms.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom