Walking Dead Season 4 | The Boneyard

Walking Dead Season 4

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
They have a new trailer out for Season 4. Looks like it's gonna be an interesting season.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Whoop whoop. Season 4 starts this Sunday. :)

Looks like AMC will be showing the first 3 seasons this week on the run-in.

Reaction Score
Although I was extremely dissapointed in Season 3, I can't wait for Season 4.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Although I was extremely dissapointed in Season 3, I can't wait for Season 4.
I've like the episodes Scott Gimple has written....Save The Last One (Shane and Otis getting supplies) Pretty Much Dead Already (Sophia coming out of barn), 18 Miles Out (Rick and Shane fight while trying to drop off Randall), Hounded (where Meryl is hunting Michonne), Clear (Rick meets up again with Morgan), This Sorrowful Life (Meryl's death). So having him as a showrunner for Season 4 bodes well in my book. We'll see how it goes.

Supposedly lots more walkers in the new season. Lots of new characters also.

Reaction Score
I've like the episodes Scott Gimple has written....Save The Last One (Shane and Otis getting supplies) Pretty Much Dead Already (Sophia coming out of barn), 18 Miles Out (Rick and Shane fight while trying to drop off Randall), Hounded (where Meryl is hunting Michonne), Clear (Rick meets up again with Morgan), This Sorrowful Life (Meryl's death). So having him as a showrunner for Season 4 bodes well in my book. We'll see how it goes.

Supposedly lots more walkers in the new season. Lots of new characters also.
I've just seen the first one so far. A+ on the set piece with the Zombies falling from the sky, near perfect.
Disliked the crapola about the "Council" - i.e. actually setting up and showing how we will lead or govern the people in the prison during this zombie apocalypse is too boring and stupid. So have some actors mention "council" a few times and it'll seem like they've put thought into their society.
Most of the other stuff was good though, Rick farming with headphones, Maggie and whatshisname, the kids etc... Didn't like the Rick subplot heavy-handed theme "CAN YOU BE FORGIVEN FOR WHAT YOU'VE DONE". Nor the stupidity of Rick following a desperate near crazy woman to a campsite and inevitable ambush attempt. I know, he's not right and struggling/making bad decisions but this was a flawed way to develop plotline because Rick has an invincibility shield. When Rick walks alone in the woods even into a surefire ambush by 1 or 30 idiots there is no danger or suspense. Anyone else making that decision you'd question it and be worried but because its Rick you knew going in that it was purely a thematic payoff.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I've just seen the first one so far. A+ on the set piece with the Zombies falling from the sky, near perfect.
That was good. Second episode is better. Throws you a couple curves.

Disliked the crapola about the "Council" - i.e. actually setting up and showing how we will lead or govern the people in the prison during this zombie apocalypse is too boring and stupid. So have some actors mention "council" a few times and it'll seem like they've put thought into their society.
Well it's here to stay, at least for awhile. That was right out of the comics. A way to move Rick out of the leadership role, expand his character, and some other characters. It only makes sense after seeing the Governor anyway. Nobody is going to want to give one person too much power again.

Most of the other stuff was good though, Rick farming with headphones, Maggie and whatshisname, the kids etc... Didn't like the Rick subplot heavy-handed theme "CAN YOU BE FORGIVEN FOR WHAT YOU'VE DONE".
I think that is going to be one of Rick's story arcs this season. Maybe more people. How do you deal with what you've done (had to do to stay alive) and can you get your humanity back after???

Some other good story arcs I see coming, Michonne searching for the Gov. Eventually he has to show up. Daryl becoming a hero (cult hero) and having to live up to that. How the council will work when they disagree. Tyreese going through some of the same stuff the Rick went through, not liking to have to make life/death decisions for people. Beth's coldness. Carol's ruthlessness. How's Carl going to turn out? Like Rick or Shane? This new sickness and how they deal with it (besides the walkers and external parties). Some cool stuff in Episode 2 that will have to play out.

Nor the stupidity of Rick following a desperate near crazy woman to a campsite and inevitable ambush attempt. I know, he's not right and struggling/making bad decisions but this was a flawed way to develop plotline because Rick has an invincibility shield. When Rick walks alone in the woods even into a surefire ambush by 1 or 30 idiots there is no danger or suspense. Anyone else making that decision you'd question it and be worried but because its Rick you knew going in that it was purely a thematic payoff.
Yea, the whole time you are thinking, what are you doing Rick? Why are you following her? I guess he didn't want to lead her to the prison until he had vetted her and Eddie.
I think there is still suspense though. He probably won't die, but he can certainly get himself and the group into trouble with his decisions. And get other people killed.

Reaction Score
Good points, I especially agree about Daryl becoming a cult hero. That's a great and promising example of the show becoming introspective enough to recognize its action and myth-making highlighted for the audience is also noticeable to its own characters.

I disagree slightly about Michonne and Governor but they couldn't completely ignore it so to simply have her on a un-shown quest was best way to address this other than the implausibility and risk of venturing so far afield on her own (but at least they did have their own characters question this, I wonder if in the first draft of the scene someone said to Michonne; "hey the writer over there said its really stupid to have you riding an edible horse 50 miles by yourself into unknown zombie apocalyptic territories, not to mention the fact that the Governor's snipers will shoot you once you get within a mile of his cave of insanity" but I digress ;). I assume they'll put this on back-burner for awhile which is right as everyone is sick of the Gov and he's more sinister as unknown evil lurking.

On the council thing I just feel like that's been done a billion times before. Its a tired trope that may be unavoidable (practically speaking from the extremes of a new Zombie Apocalypse society or a Condo Association) but is nonetheless simply annoying to deal with. "We disagree!" "Let's vote", "WHO is the leader" etc... Until Tyreese T. Jefferson drafts the Zombie Apocalypse Declaration of Independence I don't care to see the hallowed council hall unless a zombie is dropping through the ceiling.

Actually thinking more about it I realize I don't like it because Rick is the leader and the show/council is kidding itself to pretend otherwise.

Reaction Score
Watching the first two episodes made me realize how atrocious Season 3 was.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Season 3 turned out to be a long road to travel just to get to a flu outbreak.

After the first episode of season 4, I thought, welp, this show has purely lost its way, but wow. Very strong episode tonight.

On a show that I like...The Talking Dead.

Marilyn Manson looks like John Lovitz with a fright wig.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Good points, I especially agree about Daryl becoming a cult hero. That's a great and promising example of the show becoming introspective enough to recognize its action and myth-making highlighted for the audience is also noticeable to its own characters.
Felt a little like they were breaking the 4th wall.

I disagree slightly about Michonne and Governor but they couldn't completely ignore it so to simply have her on a un-shown quest was best way to address this other than the implausibility and risk of venturing so far afield on her own (but at least they did have their own characters question this, I wonder if in the first draft of the scene someone said to Michonne; "hey the writer over there said its really stupid to have you riding an edible horse 50 miles by yourself into unknown zombie apocalyptic territories, not to mention the fact that the Governor's snipers will shoot you once you get within a mile of his cave of insanity" but I digress ;). I assume they'll put this on back-burner for awhile which is right as everyone is sick of the Gov and he's more sinister as unknown evil lurking.
Yea they did address that a little last night. Daryl questioning the point of her going out there on a cold trail. Also adding if there was a chance he'd be out there too. (implying he lost as much (Meryl) as she did (Andrea).

On the council thing I just feel like that's been done a billion times before. Its a tired trope that may be unavoidable (practically speaking from the extremes of a new Zombie Apocalypse society or a Condo Association) but is nonetheless simply annoying to deal with. "We disagree!" "Let's vote", "WHO is the leader" etc... Until Tyreese T. Jefferson drafts the Zombie Apocalypse Declaration of Independence I don't care to see the hallowed council hall unless a zombie is dropping through the ceiling.

Actually thinking more about it I realize I don't like it because Rick is the leader and the show/council is kidding itself to pretend otherwise.
Well I think it will be around for a bit. Maybe that will change if they have to leave the prison. I don't think Rick wants to be back in the power anyway, with the mistakes he made and impact it had on his family.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Watching the first two episodes made me realize how atrocious Season 3 was.
I thought this might be a better season with Gimple in as the showrunner. His episodes were some of the best the past few seasons.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Season 3 turned out to be a long road to travel just to get to a flu outbreak.

After the first episode of season 4, I thought, welp, this show has purely lost its way, but wow. Very strong episode tonight.
The first 2 episodes should really have been one episode. They split them though. They actually showed them together to the critics before the season began.

On a show that I like...The Talking Dead.

Marilyn Manson looks like John Lovitz with a fright wig.
Ok that was crazy. I kept expecting them to come back from a break and Manson would not be there. They'd give a weak excuse "sorry Marilyn was called away". How they put up with him the whole time.....geez. You could tell Hardwick and Hurd were getting pissed at him.

He did make a couple good points, but the ramblings to get to them.....geez.

Reaction Score
Things look bleak for our heroes (that was a massive horde of zombies that Darryl & Co. ran into). I assume the voice on 97.1 FM is a significant glimmer of hope.

Isn't front wheel drive supposed to be better for gaining traction on a pile of walkers?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Things look bleak for our heroes (that was a massive horde of zombies that Darryl & Co. ran into). I assume the voice on 97.1 FM is a significant glimmer of hope.

Isn't front wheel drive supposed to be better for gaining traction on a pile of walkers?
Probably, but I believe a Dodge Charger is a rear wheel drive. They needed a 4-wheel drive. And probably something with better gas milage. ;)

I'm sure the voice on the radio will play into this season at some point.

Reaction Score
Probably, but I believe a Dodge Charger is a rear wheel drive. They needed a 4-wheel drive. And probably something with better gas milage. ;)

I'm sure the voice on the radio will play into this season at some point.

Shows you what I know about cars. I just assume everything is FWD or 4WD these days.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
What is really going to hurt the group is the change in product placement from Hyundai to Chrysler.

If they still had the Hyundai for excursions, they would have climbed right over that pile of corpses.

Maybe they'll get a Jeep out of this eventually.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
What is really going to hurt the group is the change in product placement from Hyundai to Chrysler.

If they still had the Hyundai for excursions, they would have climbed right over that pile of corpses.

Maybe they'll get a Jeep out of this eventually.
Looking at the preview of next week, they still do have the lime green Hyundai (Shane's old car).

I was thinking a jeep would be best, but the gas mileage is really bad in them. (at least in mine)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Shows you what I know about cars. I just assume everything is FWD or 4WD these days.
I had to Google it. ;) Just wanted to see if they did it right.

Reaction Score
Spoiler alert --
I'm caught up. Mostly good this season, definitely better than seasons past overall. Though scaled down, the drama and conflicts they are working thru are well done and make sense in the context. They've also done some character development in terms of show/series history and not just season arc (as in the past) which is very welcomed.

SUPER Spoiler Alert - I was a little disappointed that they seemingly resolved the Carol conflict so quickly. Ironically for me I think it was the good & correct call by Rick including making the call on his own. Normally I'd bitch about this show unrealistically making poor choices, but here I'd rather they made the poor choice as Tyreese dealing with Carol and Carol possibly unwinding into murderous psychopath is interesting. Better drama to watch what happens with Carol as a known murderess back at camp whereas I do NOT want to see the council reprimand Rick for making this decision without consulting them. If they'd forced that ultimate conflict back at camp Tyreese might have beat Carol senseless, but given her tolerance for that she might have withstood the beating and callously stabbed him in the ear. More interesting but a less sound choice so admittedly I'm in a place where I seemingly can't be satisfied with this show. If they show Carol on her own and she somehow comes back to the group I promised be happy on all fronts.

The flu is not a very visually interesting problem* to watch, but certainly worth exploring as a microcosm of the horror within as bad as outside working as a triple entendre with zombie virus living inside all of them and of course that the zombie apocalypse may really simply be the human condition.

* A visually interesting problem might be being an alcoholic in the ZA. Maybe this is the spin off. How do you go to meetings!? Cigarette smoking and coffee drinking also logistically challenging. Does everyone who falls off wagon die (Merle?). A key principal of the 12 steps may be made exceptionally difficult by the zombie apocalypse, what to do if those you wronged were killed or are currently zombies living nearby (feed them rats might be the answer!) ?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
SUPER Spoiler Alert - I was a little disappointed that they seemingly resolved the Carol conflict so quickly. Ironically for me I think it was the good & correct call by Rick including making the call on his own. Normally I'd bitch about this show unrealistically making poor choices, but here I'd rather they made the poor choice as Tyreese dealing with Carol and Carol possibly unwinding into murderous psychopath is interesting. Better drama to watch what happens with Carol as a known murderess back at camp whereas I do NOT want to see the council reprimand Rick for making this decision without consulting them. If they'd forced that ultimate conflict back at camp Tyreese might have beat Carol senseless, but given her tolerance for that she might have withstood the beating and callously stabbed him in the ear. More interesting but a less sound choice so admittedly I'm in a place where I seemingly can't be satisfied with this show. If they show Carol on her own and she somehow comes back to the group I promised be happy on all fronts.
That move (Rick banishing Carol) surprised me. Didn't see that coming. But I think I might disagree with you on it being a less interesting choice. Oh the things they can do.
1) Carol is out there somewhere now. They can follow her story or maybe she can run into the Governor, or Morgan. Or another group that somehow saves the prison group....all kinds of possibilities.
2) what does Rick tell the group? He unilaterally banished her without Council input or consent? Heck he's not even on the Council and she was. That's gotta go over like a lead balloon. This would be the perfect role for the Council. How is it going to react? Rick goes from Farmer, skips the council and goes straight to Ricktatorship again? Don't think that will play well.
3) How does Daryl react? That's certainly not going to endear Rick to Daryl. Now Daryl has lost the two closest people to him. Both because of Rick.
4) How does Tyreese react? Glad Rick found out, but Rick let the person go? I doubt he is going to be satisfied with banishment. He wanted justice and blood.
5) Didn't Carl do almost the same thing? Took out a threat in cold blood before they really knew if it was a threat? He wasn't banished. They just took his gun away for awhile.....and now he has it back.

Pretty sure like the Governor and Morgan, we'll see Carol again. Be very interesting when she shows up again.

The flu is not a very visually interesting problem* to watch, but certainly worth exploring as a microcosm of the horror within as bad as outside working as a triple entendre with zombie virus living inside all of them and of course that the zombie apocalypse may really simply be the human condition.
Love this new threat. A very simple threat pre-apocolypse (flu shot, some Theraflu and everyone is good to go), now becomes something they can't even control as well as they control walkers. Brilliant idea.

Reaction Score
As I've said the inner workings of the council or what Stop gov't process they (writers) are pretending exists but will truly be making up as they go along doesn't interest me in the least.

A lot of the stuff you mention as interesting would or will all be TALKING about what has already happened versus the actual confrontations of Carol with Tyreese or Darryl or lastly the council which could have been more interesting. Carol explaining her actions or trying to justify and then the group deciding on a punishment may have been good. But for all we know one of the council rules is IF you kill someone in the group you are immediately banished. If I were Carol I would have put up more of a fight with Rick and simply sat in his car refusing not to go back.

Additionally then when Rick is involved what the council or anyone decides to do is totally uninteresting because he's Rick and he's not going to be banished, die or become a supporting character anytime soon.

However I agree that Carol out on her own could be entertaining for awhile. No wish for her to run into the Governor as that actor is so bad I am dreading his return.

Incidentally Rick not the bs council took away & gave back Carl's gun.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
As I've said the inner workings of the council or what bull gov't process they (writers) are pretending exists but will truly be making up as they go along doesn't interest me in the least.
Well you may get your wish, although I think the Council is a great idea. 3 of the members of the council are in sickbay now, a 4th is banished and the 5th is out on a run. There may not be a council for very much longer.
A lot of the stuff you mention as interesting would or will all be TALKING about what has already happened versus the actual confrontations of Carol with Tyreese or Darryl or lastly the council which could have been more interesting.
I think Daryl vs Rick and Tyreese vs Rick, and Rick vs Council confrontations would/will be better. And another effect could be Lizzie. Will losing her "mother" push her right over the edge?

AIf I were Carol I would have put up more of a fight with Rick and simply sat in his car refusing not to go back.
That would be kinda dumb. Rick wasn't gonna kill her and she wasn't gonna kill him. And that would be out of character for her.

Incidentally Rick not the bs council took away & gave back Carl's gun.
Yes I know that. Didn't mean to imply it was the council. The point was that Rick didn't banish Carl for doing the same thing.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I think Rick's decision to banish Carol was made at the prison. They went foraging as a twosome. I'll bet he was planning on going back without her. And when he saw the girl getting eaten he couldn't wait to get to Carol to see her off.

Reaction Score
I think Daryl vs Rick and Tyreese vs Rick, and Rick vs Council confrontations would/will be better. And another effect could be Lizzie. Will losing her "mother" push her right over the edge?
That would be kinda dumb. Rick wasn't gonna kill her and she wasn't gonna kill him. And that would be out of character for her.
Lizzie? Are you kidding? Really interested in character arc of the 11yr old girl, you must have loved the 55 Carl has wandered off again storylines!
I wasn't saying Carol challenge Rick to a fight, she needed to beg plead cry, use her powers of persuasion techniques etc.. would have been more realistic even though she's now tough as nails yada yada. Arguably NOT begging is more counter to her new nature. Sure she is now a toughened survivalist, but as such she knows that her odds at the prison are vastly better than out on her own. You do whatever you have to in order to survive and in that scenario its get back to camp anyway you can. Face the music or I'm sorry Rick I'll change, or a fake breakdown, vulnerable appeal to Rick's sympathy (and then a knowing look when he caves & lets her in). She knows Rick is wishy-washy about decision making and she would have at least tried an appeal.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Lizzie? Are you kidding? Really interested in character arc of the 11yr old girl,
Duh, yeah. See if they pull a Ben/Billy.

you must have loved the 55 Carl has wandered off again storylines!
I do love the Carl storyline. One of my favorite characters.

I wasn't saying Carol challenge Rick to a fight, she needed to beg plead cry, use her powers of persuasion techniques etc.. would have been more realistic even though she's now tough as nails yada yada. Arguably NOT begging is more counter to her new nature. Sure she is now a toughened survivalist, but as such she knows that her odds at the prison are vastly better than out on her own. You do whatever you have to in order to survive and in that scenario its get back to camp anyway you can. Face the music or I'm sorry Rick I'll change, or a fake breakdown, vulnerable appeal to Rick's sympathy (and then a knowing look when he caves & lets her in). She knows Rick is wishy-washy about decision making and she would have at least tried an appeal.
Maybe that's why she didn't put up too much of a fight?? If he's back in charge, with all the crap going on at the prison, maybe the road is a better bet???? Rick tends to get a lot of people killed.

I rather think it's the fact that she has seen Rick operate over the past couple years. He kept her alive when she really didn't have much to offer the group. He's taken on about everyone and won. (Governor, Shane, the prisoners, Meryl, just recently Tyreese). He's not really one you go against and win. She probably realizes this. He's made his decision (although it might end up being the wrong one) and that's pretty much that.

And NOT begging is NOT counter to her new nature. She never said she was sorry for what she did. She stuck to her guns. She thinks she was correct in what she did. She thinks Rick is wrong in what he is doing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom