Wade Early Season List | The Boneyard

Wade Early Season List

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Nice to see Stef get the recognition. She belongs on that list.

I agree that Breanna will easily be in the top 30, starting very early. I'm not sure Morgan will make the list, but I predict she'll be a top 30 player nationally this year.

Here's my pre-season vote (in order):

Griner
Delle Donne
Sims
Hartley
Diggins
Ogwumike
E. Williams
Mosqueda-Lewis

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Griner will win easily. In college, you're not around long enough for voters to get tired of voting for you (aka, the reason Michael Jordan didn't win the MVP basically every year from 1988-1998 except the two years he was out).

Reaction Score
Apparently "mid majors" are not allowed to play this year, as there are a total of TWO, including EDD on the watch list.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
List of Wade Winners

UConn leads the list with 7 Award Years, followed by La Tech, Old Dominion and Texas each with three Award years. I was surprised the Lady Vols only had two years in which one of their players was awarded the Wade Trophy

List of Award Winners, sorted by School and Year Won.

2012 Brittney Griner Baylor
1995 Rebecca Lobo Connecticut
1996 Jennifer Rizzotti Connecticut
2002 Sue Bird Connecticut
2003 Diana Taurasi Connecticut
2009 Maya Moore Connecticut
2010 Maya Moore Connecticut
2011 Maya Moore Connecticut
2004 Alana Beard Duke
1997 DeLisha Milton Florida
1981 Lynette Woodard Kansas
1983 LaTaunya Pollard Long Beach State
1982 Pam Kelly Louisiana Tech
1984 Janice Lawrence Louisiana Tech
1988 Teresa Weatherspoon Louisiana Tech
2005 Seimone Augustus LSU
2006 Seimone Augustus LSU
1994 Carol Ann Shudlick Minnesota
1978 Carol Blazejowski Montclair State/
1993 Karen Jennings Nebraska
1979 Nancy Lieberman Old Dominion
1980 Nancy Lieberman Old Dominion
1998 Ticha Penicheiro Old Dominion
1992 Susan Robinson Penn State
1999 Stephanie White McCarty Purdue
2001 Jackie Stiles Southwest Missouri State
1990 Jennifer Azzi Stanford
2008 Candice Wiggins Stanford
1991 Daedra Charles Tennessee
2007 Candace Parker Tennessee
1986 Kamie Ethridge Texas
1989 Clarissa Davis Texas
2000 Edwina Brown Texas
1985 Cheryl Miller USC
1987 Shelly Pennefeather Villanova

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Nice to see Stef get the recognition. She belongs on that list.

I agree that Breanna will easily be in the top 30, starting very early. I'm not sure Morgan will make the list, but I predict she'll be a top 30 player nationally this year.

Here's my pre-season vote (in order):

Griner
Delle Donne
Sims
Hartley
Diggins
Ogwumike
E. Williams
Mosqueda-Lewis
Don't forget Alyssa Thomas. I'd put her in the Simms/Hartley/Diggins category. And Chelsea Grey is very close to being in that top group, if not firmly in there...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Don't forget Alyssa Thomas. I'd put her in the Simms/Hartley/Diggins category. And Chelsea Grey is very close to being in that top group, if not firmly in there...
Thanks for the reminder. I think I'd add her next.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
How the committee found a way to not give this award to Holdsclaw at least twice is pretty astounding. And how the committee decided to give the award to Edwina Brown over Catchings in 2000 is pretty incredible.

I was surprised Taurasi only won the award once (especially because Maya won it three times), but she was bookended by her own teammate (Bird--who deserved it her senior year), and Beard--who was phenomenal her senior year (though it still should have gone to DT, but this isn't a gross oversight, IMO).

To think that Maya won the award three times is pretty astounding, although considering that people like Taurasi, Bird, Parker, Miller only won it once, and certain players (Swoopes, Holdsclaw, Catchings) never won it at all, it seems as if the Wade is not the ultimate measure of the best player in the land.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
How the committee found a way to not give this award to Holdsclaw at least twice is pretty astounding. And how the committee decided to give the award to Edwina Brown over Catchings in 2000 is pretty incredible.

I was surprised Taurasi only won the award once (especially because Maya won it three times), but she was bookended by her own teammate (Bird--who deserved it her senior year), and Beard--who was phenomenal her senior year (though it still should have gone to DT, but this isn't a gross oversight, IMO).

To think that Maya won the award three times is pretty astounding, although considering that people like Taurasi, Bird, Parker, Miller only won it once, and certain players (Swoopes, Holdsclaw, Catchings) never won it at all, it seems as if the Wade is not the ultimate measure of the best player in the land.
Maya must have edged Tina her junior year.

Yep, at least Holdsclaw and Catchings should have one one (or more). Chamique may have been the best player for 3 years.

Reaction Score
Maya must have edged Tina her junior year.

Yep, at least Holdsclaw and Catchings should have one one (or more). Chamique may have been the best player for 3 years.

There's also the Naismith & Wooden awards for POY. The Wade has extra criteria like "character" and "spirit of Margaret Wade". I thought there was also something about community service, but couldn't find any reference to that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naismith_College_Player_of_the_Year

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_R._Wooden_Award

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
If character is a criteria then Catchings would have been ideal. She is a total class act.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
And Holdsclaw was my all-time favorite player until BG came along. I loved watching her play and agree that she was probably the best player for three years straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom