WAC football done after 2012 | The Boneyard

WAC football done after 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just tell me the Idaho comment was said in jest. I take nothing for granted after Memphis.

Reaction Score
Refer to phrases "slim pickins", "no competition".

Reaction Score
Ive already seen that Idaho wants to remain as an FBS independent for a few years and hope to get an invite once another round of realignment starts. Good luck to them trying to find home games against FBS teams in October and November.

Reaction Score
Unsurprised. Without being an FBS football conference, the WAC really doesn't do anything already existing FCS conferences don't, and it needs to gain three members by 2013 in order to even remain afloat (most of the schools it picked up in the last scramble have already punched tickets elsewhere, leaving them with Idaho, Denver, NMSU and Seattle). There are some teams they can pick up in the West region that would allow them to hit the minimum number (Cal State Bakersfield is an independent, and Utah Valley and UT-Pan American are in the Great West conference; each of them could be persuaded by the fact that they don't currently possess an NCAA tournament automatic bid, and the WAC still does; a full merger of the WAC and GWC does benefit both, albeit forcing a Big East-like franken-conference from New Jersey to Idaho), but it seems like that would only be a stall, and that it might still be in the individual best interests of the other schools to find their own paths.

Reaction Score
I thought Idaho sunk into the Pacific. Oh well, maybe that was Washington. Every fan gets a free potato??

Just kidding. Love Idaho. Great skiing.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
This is a tough break on Idaho and New Mexico State. It's incredible to think that the WAC is now gone. 8 years ago or so, you would have never guessed that they would have been eliminated, as they were a pretty decent conference:

WAC circa 2004:
Fresno St., Boise St., Nevada, Hawaii, La Tech, SMU, Tulsa, Rice, UTEP, and San Jose State

Realignment really sucks...

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
This is a tough break on Idaho and New Mexico State. It's incredible to think that the WAC is now gone. 8 years ago or so, you would have never guessed that they would have been eliminated, as they were a pretty decent conference:

WAC circa 2004:
Fresno St., Boise St., Nevada, Hawaii, La Tech, SMU, Tulsa, Rice, UTEP, and San Jose State

The scary part is that the WAC was the first national conference back in the day and bares an eerie similarity to what the Big East is trying to do. Let's hope that in 10 years we're not having the same convo about the Big East. I'm sure we wont be in Idaho's spot but still a sad story.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
The scary part is that the WAC was the first national conference back in the day and bares an eerie similarity to what the Big East is trying to do. Let's hope that in 10 years we're not having the same convo about the Big East. I'm sure we wont be in Idaho's spot but still a sad story.

Well, the difference between what the WAC faced and what the Big East faces are pretty stark. First, the Big East took the former WAC's best team by far (Boise State, and I know...they went to the MW first), along with SMU (I know...) because we saw the value of those programs. The major reason why we can be a "taker" in those instances is due to the strength of our brand in basketball, even though we have a much better football product than the WAC ever had.

The second difference is due to our much larger demographic and fanbase sizes, which will likely lead to an infinitely better tv deal than the WAC could have ever dreamed to get (and the MW and C-USA for that matter). I think the things that can keep the Big East viable for the future still exist in the conference, even if we have lost some value in the departing teams. That viability is why teams like Boise State and Navy are joining up. We should have a pretty bright future...

Reaction Score
Who doesn't dream of playing a Thursday night game in the Kibbie Dome! hah

ASCNJVQPHRIYEIX.20110815223000.jpg

Reaction Score

The WAC didn't exactly have the same set of situations that we in the Big East do now. There wasn't a huge demand for live content that was convincing networks to open up their wallets, and the WAC hadn't been a clear power conference (though they were a clear 'next in line'). They saw an opportunity to make a big splash, and took it, but a more measured tack might have gotten them somewhere. Just taking TCU and UNLV would have made for a solid 12-team all-sports conference.

That being said, I'm not sure their position would have been any better in the long run having done that, but there's something to be said for 'not making the mistake in the first place'.

Reaction Score
Not for nothing, but I think "The Vandals" is by far the most awesome team name in sports, college or professional. I want them in our league just because of their kick ass name.

Reaction Score
I wish we could pick up BYU and Air Force. That would shore up that western side of the Big East and possibly make staying for the long haul more appealing to Boise St. Plus, adding those two would change the perception of the conference nationally.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

WAC circa 2004:

A lot of the WAC's problems stemmed from personal problems between the original WAC schools' presidents and Commissioner Benson.

Ironically, the MWC split also lead to the first conference network, which would have been more successful if the MWC hadn't signed such a terrible contract with CBS for distribution. With no real money on the table, there was no incentive to distribute.

I think what happened to NMSU and Idaho is a disgrace. They are not being invited to join any conference at any price. These are academic institutions, and if those two schools can not find a home, student-athletes will be punished. It's not like the MWC is anything more than MAC-West at this point, half of whom were recently WAC schools. They can't let in two more programs, even at reduced revenue shares?

Reaction Score
I wish we could pick up BYU and Air Force. That would shore up that western side of the Big East and possibly make staying for the long haul more appealing to Boise St. Plus, adding those two would change the perception of the conference nationally.

Agreed. Who knew that adding Temple wasn't gonna be enough?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I think what happened to NMSU and Idaho is a disgrace. They are not being invited to join any conference at any price. These are academic institutions, and if those two schools can not find a home, student-athletes will be punished. It's not like the MWC is anything more than MAC-West at this point, half of whom were recently WAC schools. They can't let in two more programs, even at reduced revenue shares?

This is what I don't understand either. I know that it's two more mouths to feed but seriously, what do they lose from adding them? I guess if we were in that position we'd be thinking we shouldn't let them in as they add pretty much nothing. Still, it's just a sad turn of events for them. If joins up with the BE I'd look for Idaho or NM St or both to be added to the MWC. Time will tell and I have a feeling we're going to see the number of programs moving up to the FBS level slow to a trickle as there are no conferences that want anyone. If Appalachian St can't get an invite, I can't see who else would be able to move up.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
This is what I don't understand either. I know that it's two more mouths to feed but seriously, what do they lose from adding them? I guess if we were in that position we'd be thinking we shouldn't let them in as they add pretty much nothing. Still, it's just a sad turn of events for them. If joins up with the BE I'd look for Idaho or NM St or both to be added to the MWC. Time will tell and I have a feeling we're going to see the number of programs moving up to the FBS level slow to a trickle as there are no conferences that want anyone. If Appalachian St can't get an invite, I can't see who else would be able to move up.

I'll go one step further; it would behoove teams like Nevada or Fresno to add those teams, which would likely inflate their records towards bowl eligibility for any "at-large" considerations. Also, and this is the bigger issue, why on earth would they not want to take advantage of the natural NM vs. NMState rivalry?!? The more interest you drum up in that area, the better. It won't weaken their conference, and there is a good chance that it would make them stronger.

If they wait too long, those two institutions might have already pulled the FBS designation...

Reaction Score
I graduated from New Mexico State so it pains me to see this happening to our program. The loyal fans have put up with a mediocre program for a very long time and this upcoming season they have a chance to become bowl eligible for the first time since 1963. Very bad timing for the fans. NMSU doesn't deserve the position they have been put in but UNM does not want to share tv sets with NMSU...doesn't make sense as New Mexico doesn't have a extremely large population.

You would think that a conference that comprised of UTEP, UNM, and NMSU would be logical. The powers that be will never let that happen.

Reaction Score
I graduated from New Mexico State so it pains me to see this happening to our program. The loyal fans have put up with a mediocre program for a very long time and this upcoming season they have a chance to become bowl eligible for the first time since 1963. Very bad timing for the fans. NMSU doesn't deserve the position they have been put in but UNM does not want to share tv sets with NMSU...doesn't make sense as New Mexico doesn't have a extremely large population.

You would think that a conference that comprised of UTEP, UNM, and NMSU would be logical. The powers that be will never let that happen.

It's not only logical, it even existed at one time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom