W: Ross out in L.A. but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Maybe Magic should just coach the rest of the year himself

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
The guard play has been the main problem. I don't doubt that Magic will build a championship team. He knows what it takes.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
who on earth thinks Toler is the answer?
Probably no one. Although they apparently offered GG the chance to stay as an assistant, she resigned. I don't get it at all, as I would have thought she would have been a definite gone. And Gary Kloppenberg is staying. Absurd state of affairs, OTH, I never liked the Sparks as a Liberty fan and certainly not as a Merc fan.

Reaction Score
As I stated elsewhere there aren't enough basketballs for all the EGOS on the LA Sparks!

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Penny Toler becomes the fifth Sparks coach in Candace Parker era (2008-present).

Reaction Score
The guard play has been the main problem. I don't doubt that Magic will build a championship team. He knows what it takes.
Too many one handed bricklaying guards and best player on the team isn't a vocal leader.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Something had to change in LA. There is way too much talent to be playing so poorly.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Sounds like stop gap measures......and the GG carousel also continues to spin.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Based on what? He played on Championship Teams coached by Pat Riley with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. His lone stint as a HC was an unmitigated disaster. His commentary is stilted and devoid of any useful BB knowledge. He's limited to anecdotes and jokes. What makes you believe he has the pedigree, knowledge or ability to evaluate talent, that is required to build a Championship team?

Reaction Score
If Tolliver didn't have the overseas obligations then the Spark would be near the top of the conference again. Just like the Shock needed Cambage to be a solid contender. Both teams will now struggle just to get into the playoffs.

The Spark should sign Jen Schlott for the remainder of the season. :)

Reaction Score
The interesting thing for me is that on paper the Sparks are a formidable team and one of the very best in the league but in reality they didn't click on the court. I would have given GG an opportunity to turn it around as she is a proven coach and I don't see how they will be getting anyone better in the short term.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Based on what? He played on Championship Teams coached by Pat Riley with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. His lone stint as a HC was an unmitigated disaster. His commentary is stilted and devoid of any useful BB knowledge. He's limited to anecdotes and jokes. What makes you believe he has the pedigree, knowledge or ability to evaluate talent, that is required to build a Championship team?
When he arrived in LA. They became a championship team. They were not a few years before he got there. Yes he had Kareem. Jordan had Pippen on the Bulls. I am not sure he wanted too be a coach. A great player doesn't always make a great coach. He also won a title at Michigan State.

Reaction Score
When he arrived in LA. They became a championship team. They were not a few years before he got there. Yes he had Kareem. Jordan had Pippen on the Bulls. I am not sure he wanted too be a coach. A great player doesn't always make a great coach. He also won a title at Michigan State.

All true, but have nothing to do with running a team.

Reaction Score
The interesting thing for me is that on paper the Sparks are a formidable team and one of the very best in the league but in reality they didn't click on the court. I would have given GG an opportunity to turn it around as she is a proven coach and I don't see how they will be getting anyone better in the short term.
They did offer her the job but she said she's loyal to Ross.

Kind of cutthroat deal in coaching basketball at college and pro levels. Most places it's just win, win, win.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Your post was not about his playing career, which is without question one of the greatest in the history of Basketball, it was about his ability to build a championship team. My question remains, based upon what do you make that observation? Michael Jordan has an unparalleled career as a player, but as a GM, President of Basketball Operations and now Owner he's been an utter and complete failure, first with the Washington Wizards and now the Charlotte Hornets. His Draft Picks have been mediocre at best, his FA signings have been incompetent, and his teams among the worst in the NBA. Great Players do not automatically make great executives and Magic is in the same mold. His name brings cachet, but his Basketball acumen leaves much to be desired and his ability to turn around an underachieving franchise will be sorely tested. I don't believe he's up to the challenge.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Your post was not about his playing career, which is without question one of the greatest in the history of Basketball, it was about his ability to build a championship team. My question remains, based upon what do you make that observation? Michael Jordan has an unparalleled career as a player, but as a GM, President of Basketball Operations and now Owner he's been an utter and complete failure, first with the Washington Wizards and now the Charlotte Hornets. His Draft Picks have been mediocre at best, his FA signings have been incompetent, and his teams among the worst in the NBA. Great Players do not automatically make great executives and Magic is in the same mold. His name brings cachet, but his Basketball acumen leaves much to be desired and his ability to turn around an underachieving franchise will be sorely tested. I don't believe he's up to the challenge.
As a player he was a leader. He knows the game and what it takes too win.
He hasn't had the team a year yet. Give him a little time too work his Magic lol.

Reaction Score
The Sparks are a funny team to figure out. One basket away from the West Finals last year.

Like I've said before it seems like when the fast break is working and Toliver is hitting the outside shots they run over people. When those things aren't happening they look bad.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
As a player he was a leader. He knows the game and what it takes too win.
He hasn't had the team a year yet. Give him a little time too work his Magic lol.
I'm not a believer, I don't think he'll do any better than what's being done now. The Sparks are just like the Lakers a collection of stars but not a team. The WNBA is funny, they don't pay the athlete's enough so they have to play year round in foreign countries to make the money. Until that changes, the fortunes of the league won't change. The Sparks are a team of underachievers, Parker reminds me of LBJ his first 2 years in the NBA. Tolliver is overrated, Neka is one-dimensional, Wiggins is always hurt, Jantel Lavender doesn't get the ball enough and seems disinterested at times. Magic isn't going to change that. I'm not a fan of Tolliver or Becky Hammond or any of the other American players who play on Foreign Teams because they aren't good enough to make USA Basketball.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Well that's alright. I think the next step is finding the right coach. There is a go to player in Parker. I think building around her is the way to go. I would look for a point guard. Harding is not the sane player.

Reaction Score
I wonder if Lisa Leslie would ever consider coaching them. The question is would she?
Although at this point I wouldn't be surprised if Parker demands a trade next year.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I am really sad about this. They are not my team, but we need them -- every team really -- to flourish if the league as a whole will be strong. Too bad Coach G wouldn't stay; I always liked her, in spite of the Texas fiasco.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom