VPN Service | The Boneyard

VPN Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I'm considering getting a VPN service and wonder if any1 has any experience or suggestions on which service to subscribe to. I'm mostly interested in a service that won't significantly reduce my current speed and I won't have to lock into an annual subscription. Thanks

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I'm considering getting a VPN service and wonder if any1 has any experience or suggestions on which service to subscribe to. I'm mostly interested in a service that won't significantly reduce my current speed and I won't have to lock into an annual subscription. Thanks

I've considered setting up a VPN at work so I can access YouTube videos for my class, but I am told there's no way to get around a firewall.

I am sure there is, but it's not likely worth the time and agrivation.

With that said, I'd love to read replies ...

Reaction Score

I have been happy with strongvpn for the past 2 years. I do have a yearly plan at about $50 per but maybe they have monthly plans too.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I have been happy with strongvpn for the past 2 years. I do have a yearly plan at about $50 per but maybe they have monthly plans too.

How does it work?

Reaction Score
How does it work?

They give you an IP address and a username and password. It's straightforward to set up. I use mine on my windows PCs and on my iPads.

Not sure if that's what you were asking for. If you're asking how a VPN works - I don't really know in much detail. All I know is that it tricks Netflix into thinking I'm connecting from the US.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
They give you an IP address and a username and password. It's straightforward to set up. I use mine on my windows PCs and on my iPads.

Not sure if that's what you were asking for. If you're asking how a VPN works - I don't really know in much detail. All I know is that it tricks Netflix into thinking I'm connecting from the US.

My bottom line: I want to get to YouTube, but my school's firewall prevents doing so. The district says they have no problem giving teachers access, but can't do so without also giving students access. My guess is they just don't want to do the work setting up a VPN on every teacher computer (which is understandable).

Reaction Score
My bottom line: I want to get to YouTube, but my school's firewall prevents doing so. The district says they have no problem giving teachers access, but can't do so without also giving students access. My guess is they just don't want to do the work setting up a VPN on every teacher computer (which is understandable).

You should just give it a try and see if it works. Here are some free ones...

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/7-completely-free-vpn-services-protect-privacy/

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score

It's a union shop.

They could use your log in to differentiate between user access if the only question is "I want to use the internet".

As a developer we get special access anywhere but not unlimited access. We need to be able to go to coding sites and download suspicious critters and most orgs have a special set of group permissions for developers, for executives, for sales people, for research people, etc. to tweak their permission sets and resources and that includes "trusted sites" per user.

VPN is a weird word these days. I have a "Do not track. Hide my IP and use your servers IP" VPN utility on my Windows 7 boot. Good for sites where I've gotten banned like HuffPo.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
The computer techs are not unionized. Never have been.

It's a union shop.

They could use your log in to differentiate between user access if the only question is "I want to use the internet".

As a developer we get special access anywhere but not unlimited access. We need to be able to go to coding sites and download suspicious critters and most orgs have a special set of group permissions for developers, for executives, for sales people, for research people, etc. to tweak their permission sets and resources and that includes "trusted sites" per user.

VPN is a weird word these days. I have a "Do not track. Hide my IP and use your servers IP" VPN utility on my Windows 7 boot. Good for sites where I've gotten banned like HuffPo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom