Vote for Best Women's Basketball Player | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Vote for Best Women's Basketball Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Maya maintaining her big lead - 63-37. Dee and Sue are comfortably ahead too. But Parker is catching up to Swoopes (54-46)...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Oh wow, I was about to vote but looking at it makes me retch. Maya seeded #9??????? No Holdsclaw????? Even a fervent anti-Vol fan would have to say that she needs to be in after being one of the most dominant WCBB players of all time (like with all the Tourney records) with 4716 WNBA points and a 16.9 average for a very respectably long 11 year career there. Personal issues maybe, but then state that you're throwing her out for that reason in your PC poll. With Griner is it just the shorter career so far or also the personal stuff? I would definitely have bet on Griner over Lieberman in a game of one on one.

The usual ESPN tripe, but any type of poll or voting contest like this brings out the hits, and that's all they care about.
Griner doesn't have a long enough career. But then again she's only a year or 2 younger than Maya.

If they seeded the players 1-16, then I agree that Staley or Lieberman should have been removed to make room for Holdsclaw. But I also do think they gave a lot of weight to results on Team USA - whether Olympic gold, or world championships. Having said that, in 2012 she was charged with a 6 count indictment while committing a felony. She pleaded guilty to several of the charges, so I'm guessing ESPN did not want to put a felon on the list.

Having said that, you can argue that her college and WNBA career puts her in the top 16 of all time. I happen to agree she should be on the list, but her overall accomplishments are not better than Edwards (#14) - winner of 4 Olympic gold medals, while playing on 5 Olympic teams. She might have had great WNBA stats for 11 years, but her lack of international achievements, or more importantly (per ESPN it seems), Team USA accomplishments, she would have been no higher than 14. She had mad skills and was more talented than other players on the list, but her overall career is not impressive enough IMHO...

If they were to make this list again in 5 years, I'd say that players like EDD, Griner, and yes, Tina Charles would replace the bottom 3. I actually think Tina being overlooked was almost more egregious than Holdsclaw. Winner of 2 NCAA titles, WNBA ROY in 2010, WNBA MVP in 2012, 1 Olympic gold medal (2012), and 2 Team USA gold medals (2010 and 2014). She's averaged 17 PPG and almost 11 RPG her career in the W. 6 years as a pro is not the same as 11, but her international and Team USA achievements are much stronger than Holdsclaw's...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Not to pile on, but the other negative item in Holdsclaw's pro career was that she flaked out on three teams. I understand that she was dealing with serious personal demons, but she still left teams in the lurch. Fabulous talent, great college career, great stats in the pros when she played.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Better question: Who would you pick to start a team?

My first pick would be Diana. She is not only the GOAT (and the baddest badass of all) but she would absolutely make all the other players picked play better.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
You could make a case for Tina Charles, at least as an "honorable mention"

Reaction Score
You could make a case for Tina Charles, at least as an "honorable mention"

It's quite possible in a few years time that you could have a UConn starting five in the top 16 players of all time.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Just as a thought - not exactly in response to anyone's posts - some of these players are "quiet" stars - Katie Smith, Tina Thomson - did not make loud noise. They played long, they were very, very good and they racked up records. But far less folks who only remotely follow the game would think of them when thinking of top players than the stars of today, although of course they are certainly deserving.

And I remember many saying that Cynthia Cooper wasn't even the best player on her college team. But most of her teammates played their careers overseas. A very interesting poll, although for the voters, mostly a popularity contest, I suspect. The folks who made the list in the first place, probably less so.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Just as a thought - not exactly in response to anyone's posts - some of these players are "quiet" stars - Katie Smith, Tina Thomson - did not make loud noise. They played long, they were very, very good and they racked up records. But far less folks who only remotely follow the game would think of them when thinking of top players than the stars of today, although of course they are certainly deserving.

And I remember many saying that Cynthia Cooper wasn't even the best player on her college team. But most of her teammates played their careers overseas. A very interesting poll, although for the voters, mostly a popularity contest, I suspect. The folks who made the list in the first place, probably less so.

I honestly only vaguely remembered Cooper during her time at USC. Of course I remember Miller and the McGee twins playing.

Reaction Score
I can hardly wait :rolleyes:
The oldest players like Lieberman and Meyers did not have the audience of the women's game that grew from the NCAA take over in 1982 I think. The NAIA before that and pre ESPN just so few people saw those games.Maybe wasn't fair and just but that was reality. Get over it. Like any list, the original creator had an agenda. Should this list have been 32-48-64 players? who gets to decide the seeds? And why. Anyone want to wager that at any of those numbers of players there would be somebody who would be upset because somebody got left off the list. For example you would reasonably expect UConn and Tenn. to have more players, after all they have 18 NCAA titles between them. But did I miss someone because I seem to recall 5 final fours for ND and at least 6 for Stanford in addition to their 2 titles and no one from either school is on the list. Now do I think a Ruth Riley or a Skylar Diggins belong on the list? Depends on how big the list is doesn't it. Jayne Appell? Delle Donne? Charles, and who else. Interesting game. List will never satisfy all now will it?

Reaction Score
They mentioned on halftime that the first round is over. It looks like all three UConn players (Bird, DT and Maya) move on but they have Maya and DT going up against each other in round two. Can't find a link to the bracket.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
huh? Dee 59%, Swoopes 41%... (I just voted)... But you are right - Leslie 55%, Bird 45%...

On edit - there is a TON of movement even after I just voted. I"m guessing the voting just started and the impact of even a few votes makes a big difference...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
huh? Dee 59%, Swoopes 41%... (I just voted)... But you are right - Leslie 55%, Bird 45%...

On edit - there is a TON of movement even after I just voted. I"m guessing the voting just started and the impact of even a few votes makes a big difference...

What is the point of pairing Bird and Leslie? Leslie and Tina I could see. But Holy Guacamole'!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
What is the point of pairing Bird and Leslie? Leslie and Tina I could see. But Holy Guacamole'!
I think they basically seeded the players 1 thru 16 and in round 1 it was 1 vs. 16, 2 vs. 15 etc. So Sue was the 11 seed and already upset the 6 seed and then the 3 seed. Now she's facing 2 seed Leslie. It's an uphill battle for her...

Reaction Score

Hmmm. I just voted too, and thought it was around DT 35/Swoopes 65. Looked again just now and DT 63/37. Sorry - my bad.

Anyway, Sue needs our help!!

Reaction Score
Sue catching up fast - 49/51!

Think this may be because you can apparently vote to your heart's content. Just close ESPN, reopen, vote again!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Holy smokes - Sue now up 56% to 44%??? I guess Tennessee fans have not weighed in yet...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
After I saw that Katie Smith knocked out Cheryl Miller in the first round..... thats all the proof i needed to see that this poll was stupid.
Why is the poll stupid? it's the people who voted who apparently put Smith thru over Miller. I agree that is a silly result, but it's what people voted for...

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Why is the poll stupid? it's the people who voted who apparently put Smith thru over Miller. I agree that is a silly result, but it's what people voted for...

I was just echoing Rocky's statement :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34