Voepel reads the Boneyard | The Boneyard

Voepel reads the Boneyard

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
" this announcement officially came Friday, although word had leaked Thursday: UConn mentor Geno Auriemma will return for another four-year cycle as coach of the U.S. women's national team.

Fabulous! Right, UConn fans?

Well, they are mostly New Englanders who have that "Don't tell me the sky isn't falling, because I know better" mentality. Thus, there will be some worrywarts who'll wonder if this will take too much of Auriemma's time and energy away from their beloved Huskies, who are a lock to be preseason No. 1 later this fall.

Hey, he already did this gig. He led the Americans to gold medals at the 2010 world championship and 2012 Olympics. Isn't that enough of Geno for UConn to share with USA Basketball?

But let us assure the worrywarts there is no need to worry."
Yeah, like they will listen.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I think it's a given a lot of folks who cover Uconn read the Boneyard. Anytime there's a development in UConn WBB, there will inevitably be a thread here with discussion indicating a cross section of reaction. Makes it easy for the media to have the talking points to discuss. I'd like to think we make their jobs a little easier for them and thus give them incentive to keep covering Uconn.

And Geno himself certainly at one time read the Boneyard and gave evidence of such at The Geno Show a couple years ago. He probably still does.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
And Geno himself certainly at one time read the Boneyard and gave evidence of such at The Geno Show a couple years ago. He probably still does.
No, he doesn't. However his assistants all do and so does his family.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
He may still not, but he used to address topics directly from the BY, as well as quoted something I posted (unrelated to the WBB program) that couldn't have been a coincidence.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
One of the comments that Geno made during the Q&A was that his UConn coaching staff may not be as involved as they were with the 2012 Olympics (paraphrasing). Announcement - Link

I wonder how those that say the Geno's coaching of the Senior Team didn't impact recruiting or actually helped recruiting would answer the following question. How is it that the Best Coach in WBB, coaching the best WBB program is only able to sign one recruit for 2013 and only have 9 players on scholarship. Obviously there's a need for more players as there was an open announcement looking for walk-ons. Other Top programs are able to sign multiple ranked players even though in all likely hood the new freshmen would be sitting on the bench for a year or two. Some of these programs have 15 players on scholarship making playing time more difficult then it would be at UConn with only 9 players on Scholarship.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
One of the comments that Geno made during the Q&A was that his UConn coaching staff may not be as involved as they were with the 2012 Olympics (paraphrasing). Announcement - Link

I wonder how those that say the Geno's coaching of the Senior Team didn't impact recruiting or actually helped recruiting would answer the following question. How is it that the Best Coach in WBB, coaching the best WBB program is only able to sign one recruit for 2013 and only have 9 players on scholarship. Obviously there's a need for more players as there was an open announcement looking for walk-ons. Other Top programs are able to sign multiple ranked players even though in all likely hood the new freshmen would be sitting on the bench for a year or two. Some of these programs have 15 players on scholarship making playing time more difficult then it would be at UConn with only 9 players on Scholarship.

List me ONE player that Geno didn't get because he was too busy with his duties as National team coach.

Your cause and effect has no factual basis.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Instead of answering my question, why not answer my question with a reasonable explanation. If I was to name players that would have signed with UConn if offered, you wouldn't believe me. It is unreasonable to believe that of the Top 100 ranked players only one player was interested enough in UConn to sign with them. It is reasonable to believe that UConn limited their recruitment to select few elite players and they struck out or stopped recruiting all of them. The horde is pretty good at identifying the players that UConn is recruiting and names mentioned were the elite players in the class. They got in on Chong late in the recruiting cycle and was able to sign her, which I'm extremely happy with. Could this have happened with other players? I say yes, and you're probably of the opinion that they tried and it didn't happen or even the more implausible reason that there weren't any other players that met Geno's & coaching staff strict requirements.

So, why is it that UConn had a recruiting class of one player when the Roster Size indicates they should have had a class of at least three players? Remember Geno has stated he doesn't like Class Size of ONE.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
List me ONE player that Geno didn't get because he was too busy with his duties as National team coach.

Your cause and effect has no factual basis.
Very good reply - seems that people have not noticed how few HS players actually make it onto the final list of players Geno would like to add to the team. Now some of that is based on the HS players interest in Uconn as well - the coaches do not waste time on great players that are not interested in NE or Uconn, but they also take team chemistry and positional needs very seriously, as well as character. Geno got burned a few times with 'desperation' recruiting and has no interest in adding players simply to expand the roster. And the recruiting landscape has changed considerably since the late 1990s where TN and Uconn had separated themselves from the pack. There are a large number of viable options with really good coaching, administrative support, and fan support to go along with great facilities that simply were not in the running for the top recruits before. And finding the Gardlers and Valleys that really want to play for Uconn even if it means they spend most of their playing careers on the bench is not easy. These are players that recruit Uconn more than Uconn recruits them and it would be much easier for them to simply accept a lower level school scholarship than to sell themselves to the Uconn staff.
I do suspect that over the last few years there have been a few players that surprised the staff by choosing to go elsewhere including a couple who actually enrolled at Uconn. You add those three players back onto this team and you are at 12 which is Geno's roster sweet spot. You can't plan for that kind of attrition, and the coaching staff isn't going to panic recruit to replace them.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Voepel reads the Boneyard

Why not?
The Boneyard reads Voepel.
And often times the Boneyard is more interesting. :D

Reaction Score
The only criticism that I have about Geno's recruiting philosophy is his limited scope in selecting players to recruit. I know it is very hard to argue with UCONN'S recruiting success over the last twenty years, but sometimes small classes can hurt a team. There is no doubt in my mind that UCONN would have another NC, if in 2011 they had a couple of more quality players coming off the bench instead of just Lorin Dixson.

All I'm saying is that Geno and UCONN should expand their base so they have more recruits to choose from.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
He may still not, but he used to address topics directly from the BY, as well as quoted something I posted (unrelated to the WBB program) that couldn't have been a coincidence.

I suppose he is given the heads up on those from staff rather than reading the board himself.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Instead of answering my question, why not answer my question with a reasonable explanation. If I was to name players that would have signed with UConn if offered, you wouldn't believe me. It is unreasonable to believe that of the Top 100 ranked players only one player was interested enough in UConn to sign with them. It is reasonable to believe that UConn limited their recruitment to select few elite players and they struck out or stopped recruiting all of them. The horde is pretty good at identifying the players that UConn is recruiting and names mentioned were the elite players in the class. They got in on Chong late in the recruiting cycle and was able to sign her, which I'm extremely happy with. Could this have happened with other players? I say yes, and you're probably of the opinion that they tried and it didn't happen or even the more implausible reason that there weren't any other players that met Geno's & coaching staff strict requirements.

So, why is it that UConn had a recruiting class of one player when the Roster Size indicates they should have had a class of at least three players? Remember Geno has stated he doesn't like Class Size of ONE.
We have had this argument before.

Geno just doesn't offer players just to fill a roster. It seems you would just add players (Englen and Johnson ring a bell?) to play mop up time.

Geno is very selective. I'm sure there were players that would have taken an offer.

Vopel was talking about you.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
The only criticism that I have about Geno's recruiting philosophy is his limited scope in selecting players to recruit. I know it is very hard to argue with UCONN'S recruiting success over the last twenty years, but sometimes small classes can hurt a team. There is no doubt in my mind that UCONN would have another NC, if in 2011 they had a couple of more quality players coming off the bench instead of just Lorin Dixson.

All I'm saying is that Geno and UCONN should expand their base so they have more recruits to choose from.

What quality players would have gone to Uconn if offered to add to that roster?

Expand his search? I think he has a handle on this recruiting business.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score

Are you kidding me? There is more to a UConn player than just "quality player". Work ethic, grades, the willingness to be a team player as opposed to "the star" come to mind for starters. Chemistry is also something that has been a constant through the years. these teams have had incredible chemistry and trust with each other and their coaches. Sure, there are a lot of top players available, but only a few truly meet these standards, and of those few, some may not want to play for UConn.

The coaches target whom they feel meets all of the requirements - the rest is up to the players whom they target.

Reaction Score
What quality players would have gone to Uconn if offered to add to that roster?

Expand his search? I think he has a handle on this recruiting business.

doggy, All I'm saying is that it would give UCONN more options to have a larger list. Sometimes it helps to have a plan B and C. To tell you the truth I don't know what other quality players if offered would have gone to UCONN.

Reaction Score
Are you kidding me? There is more to a UConn player than just "quality player". Work ethic, grades, the willingness to be a team player as opposed to "the star" come to mind for starters. Chemistry is also something that has been a constant through the years. these teams have had incredible chemistry and trust with each other and their coaches. Sure, there are a lot of top players available, but only a few truly meet these standards, and of those few, some may not want to play for UConn.

The coaches target whom they feel meets all of the requirements - the rest is up to the players whom they target.

Are you telling me that no other top players in the country meet UCONN'S criteria except the recruits on their list?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
doggy, All I'm saying is that it would give UCONN more options to have a larger list. Sometimes it helps to have a plan B and C. To tell you the truth I don't know what other quality players if offered would have gone to UCONN.

Yes. A larger list gives more options. But are you suggesting that there are players that Geno wanted and he didn't recruit them? Or are you suggesting Geno recruit players he doesn't really want to make fans happy that they have a big roster?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Are you telling me that no other top players in the country meet UCONN'S criteria except the recruits on their list?
Of course there are. But do they all want to come to Uconn? Which ones?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I would say that none that have any interest in attending Uconn do. You cannot really change anyone's mind who is not interested.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score

First of all,Connecticut has proven time and time again,that they only look for a certain type of girl,who is not only talented,but has certain characteristics and work ethic.Many young ladies would love an offer from Connecticut,but few receive one.Secondly,a lot has to do with each recruits choices.Family,travel,Confidence in one self,friends,goals,just to name a few,have a lot to do with why some do not come to Connecticut in the end.Thirdly,in my opinion,and I believe this to be very true,Connecticut makes no promises as to playing time,stardom,etc.If you want to learn from the best,Connecticut is one of the best,if not the best,programs in the country.Some do not want to do the work,some want to be the star,some want guarantees.This is not the Connecticut way,and I am pretty sure it never will be.Small classes mean nothing,but quality means everything.Kelly Faris was a one class get,and she became one of the top Connecticut players to put on a uniform,not from being a star or getting guarantees,but from her hard work and attitude.Being a Connecticut Huskie is special,and it takes a special young lady to come to the school and realize just what she has gained in her four years.I,for one,will take Chong,only,and be very happy,because I know she has the right stuff Connecticut is seeking.When the other schools rank up 8 national championships and counting,then I may be inclined to worry or fret about how many athletesConnecticut women's basketball has.Until that time though,I am supremely confident,That geno and his staff are always making the best decisions for the team and the university.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score

I said: The coaches target whom they feel meets all of the requirements - the rest is up to the players whom they target.

and I meant it. He passes on a lot of top recruits, they don't meet the criteria or there is no mutual interest. Just because there is a player that Geno wants doesn't mean that the player wants to come to Connecticut.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
"All I'm saying is that Geno and UCONN should expand their base so they have more recruits to choose from.[/quote]

Um, they have an entire country of high school basketball players to choose from (and some from Canada). I would not be surprised if tapes, dvds, letter and "hot tips" constantly cascade into the basketball office. Where exactly do you think they have been remiss? What standards would you have them lower? Sorry, not getting what you think they are missing.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
"All I'm saying is that Geno and UCONN should expand their base so they have more recruits to choose from.

Um, they have an entire country of high school basketball players to choose from (and some from Canada). I would not be surprised if tapes, dvds, letter and "hot tips" constantly cascade into the basketball office. Where exactly do you think they have been remiss? What standards would you have them lower? Sorry, not getting what you think they are missing.
No way. As I mentioned in a way earlier post, there's a hugely productive recruiting ground that UConn just ignores, and I will always be drinking the wine from sour grapes because they would have at least 41 NC titles by now if they had brought in the best of the best from Mars and the outer areas of the asteroid belt, I mean, it just sickens me that Barack is sidling up to all those other winners at the White House in past springs just because the Huskies don't won't to go there.

Obama-to-NASA-Let-me-know-if-you-find-Martians.jpg

Hard to tell but Marcia's 8'8" and can slam from her tippy-toes. Also took Barry in 2 of 3 in H-O-R-S-E. How did we let her get away?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
She may be grounded under earth's gravity so it is a good thing she is that tall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom