Vital update | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Vital update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Like I said last week, been a tough couple of weeks for Uconn.

3 players scheduled for official visits for the same week and we walk away with none of them.

I don't see another recruit or transfer who we are even interested in.

I guess we will be going into this season with what we got, hopefully Brimah and Purvis come back.

More importantly I pray everyday that Ollie stays.

I am confident with who we have, watch out for Larrier.
In the end, we're adding depth to a top 10 recruiting class, so hard to classify this as a tough anything for UConn. The 1 year output from a player like frosh Vital and frosh Thompson can likely be replicated by a 5th year senior.

Also, names will keep popping up - likely 5th year transfers. We didn't even add Kromah and Gibbs until late May.

Reaction Score
Let's no forget - if Vital goes to Louisville, we have a much much better shot at MAL. Yes, we could definitely use Vital for some guard depth next season but it's not the end of the world if we don't get him.

Reaction Score
Let's no forget - if Vital goes to Louisville, we have a much much better shot at MAL. Yes, we could definitely use Vital for some guard depth next season but it's not the end of the world if we don't get him.

Very good point. MAL is key

Reaction Score
MAL is a much better player than vital,not sure how a vital commitment would scare him away from UConn.

Reaction Score
I try really hard to not take the bait when it comes to you.. but you honestly think a top 30 (and rising) kid is gonna be he scared off by someone who you recently questioned whether or not was worthy of a UConn scholarship? Are you serious?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In the end, we're adding depth to a top 10 recruiting class, so hard to classify this as a tough anything for UConn. The 1 year output from a player like frosh Vital and frosh Thompson can likely be replicated by a 5th year senior.

Also, names will keep popping up - likely 5th year transfers. We didn't even add Kromah and Gibbs until late May.
Fair enough, my attention has been drawn to Ollie now, he is now the most important figure at Uconn Men's basketball and he is my favorite coach in sports now, I am so hoping he stays.

Reaction Score
MAL is the recruit I've been zeroing in on for over a year now, he is my guy, love that kid over any other recruit for the last couple of years.

Reaction Score
Fair enough, my attention has been drawn to Ollie now, he is now the most important figure at Uconn Men's basketball and he is my favorite coach in sports now, I am so hoping he stays.
Ollie isn't going anywhere for a long time.

Reaction Score
I try really hard to not take the bait when it comes to you.. but you honestly think a top 30 (and rising) kid is gonna be he scared off by someone who you recently questioned whether or not was worthy of a UConn scholarship? Are you serious?

Honestly, yes. I think if MAL sees the fact that there will already be 3 PG's on the depth chart (Vital, Gilbert, Adams), that will not appeal very well to him. MAL's coach has gone on record saying playing time is the most important thing to look for. Why come to UConn with 3 PG's already when you can go to Providence and be the #1 guy from day 1?

Reaction Score
He seems to be listed primarily as a shooting guard, less so as a combo guard, and I didn't see anyone listing him as a pure point guard.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
He seems to be listed primarily as a shooting guard, less so as a combo guard, and I didn't see anyone listing him as a pure point guard.

Additionally, PC has multiple other point guards on next year's roster. Comparison is flawed there too.

Reaction Score
Honestly, yes. I think if MAL sees the fact that there will already be 3 PG's on the depth chart (Vital, Gilbert, Adams), that will not appeal very well to him. MAL's coach has gone on record saying playing time is the most important thing to look for. Why come to UConn with 3 PG's already when you can go to Providence and be the #1 guy from day 1?

Since you're his biggest fan, I take it you know he doesn't play PG? How do you know KO is recruiting him to play point? How do you know he wants to play the point? Do you think he's a PG just because the recruiting websites list him as one? Since you basically want to stop recruiting all guards out of fear they'd scare Makai away, you've must of seen him play.

I wrote this a couple of weeks ago:
There is a misconception Makai is a PG. He plays the 2 in both High School (Cushing) and AAU (Rivals). [For the last 2 years] He is a scorer. Wabissa Bede is the point guard for both teams. His situation exactly mirrors Jalen's. He played the 2 with the same programs with Kaleb Joseph at the 1. Jalen went on to play point with basicly the Globetrotters of NEPSAC at Brewster for a post grad year. At the next level coaches/evaluators project them as PG's because of their size. As we've seen time and time again some of these smaller guards just cannot convert over to the point. Jalen showed glimpses he could be successful but we have no idea about Makai.

I recently saw a scout on twitter, I think Bossi, say he doesn't see him converting to PG.

I believe 2 years from now, Alterique will be the primary ball handler with Jalen playing mostly off the ball. Those are the roles both excel at the most. With or without Vital we are in desperate need of guard depth. Makai will have plenty of opportunity for PT at either position. We need as many talented guards as possible and have PLENTY of room for them. No idea how you can't see that.

Draft time

Reaction Score
Since you're his biggest fan, I take it you know he doesn't play PG? How do you know KO is recruiting him to play point? How do you know he wants to play the point? Do you think he's a PG just because the recruiting websites list him as one? Since you basically want to stop recruiting all guards out of fear they'd scare Makai away, you've must of seen him play.

I wrote this a couple of weeks ago:
There is a misconception Makai is a PG. He plays the 2 in both High School (Cushing) and AAU (Rivals). [For the last 2 years] He is a scorer. Wabissa Bede is the point guard for both teams. His situation exactly mirrors Jalen's. He played the 2 with the same programs with Kaleb Joseph at the 1. Jalen went on to play point with basicly the Globetrotters of NEPSAC at Brewster for a post grad year. At the next level coaches/evaluators project them as PG's because of their size. As we've seen time and time again some of these smaller guards just cannot convert over to the point. Jalen showed glimpses he could be successful but we have no idea about Makai.

I recently saw a scout on twitter, I think Bossi, say he doesn't see him converting to PG.

I believe 2 years from now, Alterique will be the primary ball handler with Jalen playing mostly off the ball. Those are the roles both excel at the most. With or without Vital we are in desperate need of guard depth. Makai will have plenty of opportunity for PT at either position. We need as many talented guards as possible and have PLENTY of room for them. No idea how you can't see that.

Draft time

I saw him play last year about 5-6 times. He played on the ball ~ 90% of the time. But if he's converted to a shooting guard, then I feel much better.

caw

Reaction Score
Louisville also only has 2 guards ahead of him, if Purvis returns UConn has 3.

Actually UL has three I believe. Though you can argue who would be ahead of who.

Snider (JR), Mitchell (So), Grad Transfer whose name I forget

Vs

Adams (So), Gilbert (Fr), Purvis (5th year)

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
His mom wants him at UConn. I'm still very confident he's ours. Willing to eat all crow if it's UL. Funny how the crystal ball suddenly became important. All I'm saying is Ollie will be shocked if he ends up anywhere but here, so I won't feel bad if I'm wrong.

Reaction Score
His mom wants him at UConn. I'm still very confident he's ours. Willing to eat all crow if it's UL. Funny how the crystal ball suddenly became important. All I'm saying is Ollie will be shocked if he ends up anywhere but here, so I won't feel bad if I'm wrong.

Best be right :mad:

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Commented on Enoch's Bahamas tournament picture on IG a few minutes ago..."This picture is fire won't lie"

You can join us in Hawaii in 7 short months if you want Christian!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom