Ville/Free Shoe U | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ville/Free Shoe U

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Point shaving-y defense by UL in the final six minutes here. Jeez.

Reaction Score
Even if FSU wins this game and wins out I'm seriously contemplating leaving them out of the top 4. This team would get drilled by the top 5 SEC teams.

I keep them in there just because of Winston and the fact that he keeps on winning. They're on borrowed time though, their defense is going to give a game up sooner or later.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Look, I get that we all have Louisville envy. That are in the ACC playing primetime game against a top opponent while we are game planning for 2015 in the AAC. And I do realize that Petrino was as likely to be hired here as I was. But, playing this hypothetical game, a sleeze like Petrino wasn't on our list. Nor should he have been. UCONN needed to hire someone who they felt was best suited to build our program back up from the ground up. We didn't have the horses to hire a big splashy 1 and done coach and win 7-9 games this year. Not with this OL and lack of quality depth at QB. If Diaco can recruit and put the program back on track, similar to where Willie Taggart left WKU, then you can afford to make a 1 and done hire to try to make some news.

The two seasons leading up to Petrino at Western Kentucky (under Willie friggin' Taggart):
2011: 7-5
2012: 7-5 + bowl game

Petrino's 8-4 record, sans bowl game, in 2013 isn't as impressive when you put everything into context. He essentially is 1 win better than Willie Taggart.

Western Kentucky is 3-4 this season and giving up 50 points to FCS level athletes.

We made the right kind of hire. We just have to try to exercise patience...and drink lots and lots and lots of scotch.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Gardner literally through that ball right in the safety's numbers.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
FSU is definitely the weakest of the Top 4.

Reaction Score
Sometimes when I watch games like this I feel like I'm 14 and watching a WWF match with Hulk Hogan. Seemingly beat, the favorite wakes up and pummels the challenger.

Why does this happen so much in CFB games?

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="J187Money, post: 1108752, member: 718"Seemingly beat, the favorite wakes up and pummels the challenger. Why does this happen so much in CFB games?[/QUOTE]

Really? Sure there are favorites that fall behind and come back to win but what other favored team that trailed 21-0 on the road to another top 25 team came back to win - this year or any year? Say what you will but FL St is a pretty special team. And Winston, for all his personal shortfalls, is as good as there's ever been in leading and willing his teammates to victory.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="J187Money, post: 1108752, member: 718"Seemingly beat, the favorite wakes up and pummels the challenger. Why does this happen so much in CFB games?

Really? Sure there are favorites that fall behind and come back to win but what other favored team that trailed 21-0 on the road to another top 25 team came back to win - this year or any year? Say what you will but FL St is a pretty special team. And Winston, for all his personal shortfalls, is as good as there's ever been in leading and willing his teammates to victory.[/QUOTE]

Auburn was down 21-0 in the year they won with Newton. It happens more than you think. Maybe it is the youth aspect. Where FSU is really a lot better than LV but they couldn't focus for 60 minutes.

pj

Reaction Score
Sometimes when I watch games like this I feel like I'm 14 and watching a WWF match with Hulk Hogan. Seemingly beat, the favorite wakes up and pummels the challenger.

Football is a game of passion and it's hard for the favorite to get up for every game. But the challenger's passion tends to fade as they get tired, and the favorite gets fired up when they're down.

That at least is the conventional explanation. But a lot of things about college athletics seem to be fixed behind closed doors, like rules that are flagrantly violated by the North Carolinas with never an enforcement action, while upstart programs like UConn are suppressed by newly made up and retroactively imposed rules. It wouldn't be a big surprise if the corruption reached farther down and could impact individual games.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

It seems to happen a lot more in league games where the league has a vested interest in the favorite winning. Non-league games follow a more natural ebb and flow.

Reaction Score
Football is a game of passion and it's hard for the favorite to get up for every game. But the challenger's passion tends to fade as they get tired, and the favorite gets fired up when they're down.

That at least is the conventional explanation. But a lot of things about college athletics seem to be fixed behind closed doors, like rules that are flagrantly violated by the North Carolinas with never an enforcement action, while upstart programs like UConn are suppressed by newly made up and retroactively imposed rules. It wouldn't be a big surprise if the corruption reached farther down and could impact individual games.

Corruption wasn't my point. The first part of your post makes sense. I'm watching the game last night knowing that FSU was going to win. I couldn't even get excited.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="J187Money, post: 1108752, member: 718"Seemingly beat, the favorite wakes up and pummels the challenger. Why does this happen so much in CFB games?

Really? Sure there are favorites that fall behind and come back to win but what other favored team that trailed 21-0 on the road to another top 25 team came back to win - this year or any year? Say what you will but FL St is a pretty special team. And Winston, for all his personal shortfalls, is as good as there's ever been in leading and willing his teammates to victory.[/QUOTE]

its happened to FSU twice this year. NCSt was up 24-7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom