Video: The Durr family talks basketball | The Boneyard

Video: The Durr family talks basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Listening to what they say, the only question would be why anywhere other than UCONN. Anywhere else would mean limiting her opportunity.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Love hearing parents' stories. I am always taking my daughter to one pool or another for swimming. Good to hear sacrifice can be worth it.

Reaction Score
So when is she going to announce her choice? Anyone know?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Yes, she certainly seems to be a high-character person from a very strong family.

I'm not sure I understand the context of this video. At whose behest was it made? Is it something that the family did as a way of advertising their daughter to colleges? Or did someone ask them to sit down for this? For what purpose?

Clearly, as with any recruit, if she is focused on which school and which coaches can help her the most to achieve her potential not just as an individual but also as a team player, then UConn should be at the top of her list. Why might she decide to go elsewhere?

... Geography?
... Friends on another team?
... Special chemistry with some other coach?
... Academics?
... OR, might she be thinking that if she goes to UConn, considering who they already have and who their coach is, winning multiple National Championships might simply be too easy? Might she find it more challenging and therefore more interesting to go somewhere else, and perhaps be the missing ingredient on the team that knocks the blue-and-white champions off their throne?

I can imagine a recruit thinking like that.

As a UConn fan, I can imagine that upcoming seasons might be more interesting if Notre Dame, South Carolina, Tennessee, or Stanford adds someone of her caliber to their team. It might actually mean that KLS or Gabby or Courtney or Napheesa will have to make buzzer-beating shot to win an NC. From a fan's standpoint, that would be a good thing.

Reaction Score
Agree. They seem to have everything in perspective. All we can do is wait and hope.

Reaction Score
So when is she going to announce her choice? Anyone know?
I don't think it is going to be anytime soon considering she has yet to even make all of her official visits yet.

Reaction Score
If they are gonna really stress academics. ..which there is nothing wrong with. It probably won't be here. Hope I'm wrong, but it may be tough after hearing the dad say that his daughter is gonna make it basketball wise at any college she attends. They may see a Skylar Diggins and think Notre Dame is for them.

Reaction Score
If they are gonna really stress academics. ..which there is nothing wrong with. It probably won't be here. Hope I'm wrong, but it may be tough after hearing the dad say that his daughter is gonna make it basketball wise at any college she attends. They may see a Skylar Diggins and think Notre Dame is for them.

Skylar never won an NC while at Notre Dame!

Reactions: HGN
Reaction Score
I don't think it is going to be anytime soon considering she has yet to even make all of her official visits yet.
Once the Durr family make their visit to campus, I am sure the will come away impressed with the culture that has been create. These ladies are ready to win in life when they leave UConn.

HGN

Reaction Score
I am not quite sure I agree with you on that note Uconnever...........I think it is a good chance she could pick UConn. UConn may not be MIT , Princeton , or Yale when it comes to academics , but neither is ND. What I got was that the Durr Family is looking for a good academic school with a good BB program. Somewhat of a balance. And UCONN fits that bill. Asia will be good no matter where she goes , its just a matter of where can she win a couple of NC's in 4 years , and get a good education...... I just think UCONN offers the BEST chance for the NC's and in giving her a good education to boot.

Reaction Score
I honestly think it will come down to UConn, ND or Duke for her.

Reaction Score
No college provides a greater platform for its women college basketball players than UConn. Too many people act like UConn is the poor stepchild. What I remember most about UConn is an interview they did with Maya's mom for senior night. She said she was impressed by the basketball player she was, but she was even more impressed by the woman she had become. There's nothing greater than that, the person she became. You can't get that anywhere, but you can get it at UConn.

JS

Reaction Score
If you're referring to dad's remarks at about 6:30, I think you're misinterpreting them.

When he says she can play basketball at any school but needs to stress academics to get to the next level in her life, he's talking about high school.

He's talking about getting ready for college -- getting in where she wants to go, and then being able to handle the combination of school work and athletics.

He doesn't mean the basketball will be the same wherever she goes to college. It won't, as he knows very well.

UConn's academics are very good. As for its basketball, well, the new building into which the men's and women's teams are about to move isn't called the Champions Center for nothing. As mentioned in another thread, the first thing that greets you when you walk in the door is a display case with 13 National Championship trophies.

I enjoyed the video. The family's approach to determining Asia's next steps in life seems very well thought out -- methodical and solid. A lot of love going on there.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure where she will end up. But I do believe that if the father is stressing academics in high school, then he will stress them in college also. And I do think he said that his daughter will be a top notch player no matter what school she chooses........and he is right. The only difference is how important championships are to her in my opinion. That what separates uconn. But I just get the feeling she may think she can get a championship and a top notch education elsewhere. Just the vibe I got from the family that's all. Lots of players think that and all four years ends with a loss in the final four to uconn. Really for me it doesn't matter where she goes, because I believe in our players that are already here or committed.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I was surprised by the format of the video - and I don't mean the frame size. We certainly know a lot about what Mr. Durr is thinking and we know his daughter has a good poker face! To me it was a lot of what we could expect to hear from a parent. Other than that???? Loved Asia's play this summer and want her at UConn, but she is a want not a need. Also think her dad and Geno would get along just fine.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am not quite sure I agree with you on that note Uconnever......I think it is a good chance she could pick UConn. UConn may not be MIT , Princeton , or Yale when it comes to academics , but neither is ND. What I got was that the Durr Family is looking for a good academic school with a good BB program. Somewhat of a balance. And UCONN fits that bill. Asia will be good no matter where she goes , its just a matter of where can she win a couple of NC's in 4 years , and get a good education. I just think UCONN offers the BEST chance for the NC's and in giving her a good education to boot.
Absolutely correct, nd academics are overrated. If academics were the driving interest than why pick nd over Stanford or Duke, and they have as many or more NCs.

Reaction Score
Tennessee, UConn, South Carolina, Maryland and Notre Dame is what I'm guessing for finalists. Tennessee is a bigger player in this battle than many realize I think. I believe she will play more shooting guard in college and its seems the recruiting and AAU mentors believe that as well. This is all based on talk... I don't claim to know anything I'm just sharing what I feel after months of hearing stuff from message boards, social media, and recruiting websites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom