Video Brianna Banks | The Boneyard

Video Brianna Banks

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Didn't particularly like this part.

I should be able to be ready to go for this season. That’s the plan. That’s what it looks like. She said I got about 2 more months left before I see if I’m cleared or not. So, we’ll see how that goes. Hopefully I am.

So we won't really know if she can play until October??? (assuming this was recorded close to the time it was posted ).

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Didn't particularly like this part.

I should be able to be ready to go for this season. That’s the plan. That’s what it looks like. She said I got about 2 more months left before I see if I’m cleared or not. So, we’ll see how that goes. Hopefully I am.

So we won't really know if she can play until October??? (assuming this was recorded close to the time it was posted ).

Well, yes. Brianna had her surgery March 14, exactly 5 months ago. Another 2 months will make it 7 months after surgery. If she's cleared to play (no restrictions) in time for the team's 1st practice, I'd say that's an excellent recovery time.

What were your expectations?

Reaction Score
Great interview! Nice to hear her insight about her role and the upcoming season.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well, yes. Brianna had her surgery March 14, exactly 5 months ago. Another 2 months will make it 7 months after surgery. If she's cleared to play (no restrictions) in time for the team's 1st practice, I'd say that's an excellent recovery time.

What were your expectations?
That she'd be ramping up by the time school started. Or rather we'd know if she was going to play this year by then. (Granted they can have set backs at any time.)

Reaction Score
Brianna had the same opportunity other UConn players have had who experienced ACL injuries (or other injuries preventing play for a time) ... sitting on the bench observing what is working and what is not working for the team ... as well as one's own individual play ... Brianna comments on this in the video ... I wonder how this wisdom she has gained will affect Brianna's play this upcoming season?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Nice interview. And yes, I think some people were a little unrealistic in their expectations for BB this season - she will not be involved in pick-up games at all this summer and fall, and she may just be cleared by the beginning of organized practice. That means while the team is getting ready for the season, she will be working to get into shape and catch-up with everyone else.
My expectation is that maybe she will be back to last seasons form by the new year, anything faster than that would be exceptional. And it could easily be a longer time before she is truly comfortable.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Nice interview. And yes, I think some people were a little unrealistic in their expectations for BB this season - she will not be involved in pick-up games at all this summer and fall, and she may just be cleared by the beginning of organized practice. That means while the team is getting ready for the season, she will be working to get into shape and catch-up with everyone else.
My expectation is that maybe she will be back to last seasons form by the new year, anything faster than that would be exceptional. And it could easily be a longer time before she is truly comfortable.
That is looking more likely.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Brianna had the same opportunity other UConn players have had who experienced ACL injuries (or other injuries preventing play for a time) ... sitting on the bench observing what is working and what is not working for the team ... as well as one's own individual play ... Brianna comments on this in the video ... I wonder how this wisdom she has gained will affect Brianna's play this upcoming season?
I think a lot of it is more likely to be seen in practice and not necessarily in games - the insight is hearing the coaches talking and seeing the action through their eyes and understanding the connection from that to what they say and the work done in practices. More a greater trust in the coaching process, than specific skills in the games.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I think Banks will be OK but not great for most of next season - the timing of the injury was late and though she will be back in the fall it will take some time before she gets comfortable physically. And the long competitive and practice layoff will be a big factor by itself. Hopefully by later in the season, she will be stronger and feeling more "in the flow."

It was her right knee that sustained the injury, so for a lefty this will likely impact her explosiveness when she goes up for her lefty layups. (Just like Caroline, who used to love to drive middle and split the defense for right-handed layups, but could not do it much near the end with the multiple surgeries to the left knee.)

Now watch her prove me wrong and be one of those freaks of nature, a la Adrian Peterson, with incredible healing powers!!

I said this back in April and I still agree with myself....!

:p

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Nice kid with a great, great smile. I hope the rehab goes according to plan. I have seen too many athletes come back from surgery too soon. Big mistake. She is in good hands.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
That she'd be ramping up by the time school started. Or rather we'd know if she was going to play this year by then. (Granted they can have set backs at any time.)

I think some of her words were a little inartful. Sounds as if she's right on schedule (if not a little ahead given the recovery timelines we've come to expect). There will likely be some hurdles (physical and mental) to overcome but her projected return is certainly what I expected given her surgery was 5 months ago.

This is what Rosemary and Chris said about a month ago after her examination by Dr Arciero upon returning to campus:

"She is in the phase of her rehabilitation where we continue to develop strength, power and endurance,’’ Ragle said. “We have initiated plyometrics, jogging and agility drills and will introduce sport specific training when all of the aforementioned activities have improved. She is on target to be ready for the start of the basketball season."

"She’s worked really, really hard,’’ UConn associate head coach Chris Dailey said. “And it’s an easy thing to do and go through all the rehab while we’re playing. But she looks great. I asked her what she did when she went home. She said, `Rehab.’ So I think she’s really anxious and she’s working really hard. But as I tell her, `We don’t have a game until November. So don’t worry about anything except being ready for that.’’’

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
There might have been a couple of posters expecting her to be playing this summer. No way that was going to happen. Uconn has a program in place for recovery and as we have read and heard, if all goes well, she will be cleared for practice. I assume that means full participation. And if she gets through that, she will be ok'd for full participation in games.

Will Geno limit her minutes? Maybe. With a 9 player rotation, no reason she can't play 15-20 mpg.

Will she be as explosive as before? We will find out.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Can someone remind me of something?

I know Caroline tore an ACL in 2009 during the Syracuse game and was able to play the entire 2009-10 season. I also know that she kind of showed off she'd be able to play through her court entrance on First Night, but had something been announced sooner that she was ready?

Even though Caroline and Brianna aren't the same people, I figured the timing of when it was announced post-surgery that Caroline could go the ensuing season would be indicative of when people could expect we'd hear conclusively about Brianna.

Reaction Score

Perhaps it is just me, but I am not at all clear as to how your final observation can be said to make any sense at all.

I also don't know what, if any, subtexts might be properly inferred from your 'wondering.'

What are you talking about? Please feel free to elaborate.

Reaction Score
Perhaps it is just me, but I am not at all clear as to how your final observation can be said to make any sense at all.

I also don't know what, if any, subtexts might be properly inferred from your 'wondering.'

What are you talking about? Please feel free to elaborate.

I have no answer as to what Brianna has learned by observing the team from the bench as they play ... the question was rhetorical, (yet I encourage response as well) ... there is nothing hidden in my 'wondering' ... only Brianna knows what she has learned and how that will play out in her basketball development ...

Reaction Score
I have no answer as to what Brianna has learned by observing the team from the bench as they play ... the question was rhetorical, (yet I encourage response as well) ... there is nothing hidden in my 'wondering' ... only Brianna knows what she has learned and how that will play out in her basketball development ...

Well, your reply sort of sidesteps what you said in your earlier post in the "wondering" comment you made. I couldn't be sure so that is why I asked.

Based on your two comments, this is what I think I understand you to be saying:

You are saying:

We can adapt Yogi Berra!s old adage that "[basket]ball is 90% half-mental" to Brianna Banks' recovery from an acl injury. If Brianna can add mental toughness to the excellent sports medicine care she will receive, she will regain all or almost all if her prior to injury athleticism sooner rather than later.

If that is what you are saying, then yes, I would tend to agree.

The one concern i have about statements like that is they can be interpreted as a form of demand or as a barb or as pressure to return from injury quickly; and, if not, it's the player's fault for lack of "half mental" toughness, or whatever.

I would say, instead, that Brianna Banks' video interview was very well spoken, very well reasoned, balanced and nuanced. I think she is a very smart young lady and is fully in tune with her recovery process.

In short: Well done Brianna.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01