Vicky Triponey | The Boneyard

Vicky Triponey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Anybody ever hear of her? Apparently she helped Randy Edsall here at UConn with player discipline issues. She left here to serve in a similar a capacity. However, Joe Paterno's bully tactics kept from doing her job and eventually force her out. This article really should end any speculation that Paterno had any "superiors". He was a dictator when it came to anything to do with the football program.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/15/us/triponey-paterno-penn-state/index.html?hpt=hp_c1&is_LR=1

Paterno ridiculed her on a radio show as "that lady in Old Main" who couldn't possibly know how to handle students because "she didn't have kids."​
Tensions reached the breaking point in 2007 over how to discipline half a dozen players who'd been arrested at a brawl at an off-campus apartment complex. Several students were injured; one beaten unconscious.​
Triponey met with Paterno and other university officials half a dozen times, although she preferred to remain neutral as the appeals hearing officer.​
At the final meeting, Triponey urged the coach to advise his players to tell the truth. Paterno said angrily that he couldn't force his players to "rat" on each other since they had to practice and play together. Curley and Spanier backed him up on that point, she said.​
Triponey recommended suspensions; Paterno pushed for community service that included having the team clean up the stadium for two hours after each home game.​
In the end, four players were briefly suspended during the off-season. They didn't miss a game.​

Reaction Score
I had posted this in another thread but more appropriate here now...

Sharing a CNN story on PSU culture:“@29sonski: Long but interesting read: The woman who stood up to Joe Paterno http://post original url/uwNwjOMr #UConn connection”

I copied One of the mentions of UConn Football and FHCRE (imho, this was one of the strengths that RE brought to the program) and portrays UConn In a positive manner.

>>Vicky Triponey grew up in a working-class household and was the first person in her family to attend college. Her father was a rabid Penn State football fan, but she chose to go to the University of Pittsburgh, commonly known as Pitt. She got her bachelor's degree in psychology and continued with post-graduate studies, pursuing a career in higher education. She earned her doctorate at the University of Virginia.

She worked at several colleges and universities before encountering her mentor, James Rhatigan, who developed the division of student affairs at Wichita State University. Rhatigan introduced her to Mike Meacham, a young man who had been student body president and worked for the alumni association. They married 21 years ago.

She left Wichita in 1998 for the University of Connecticut, where she helped coach Randy Edsall build up the football program. Edsall, who is now head coach at the University of Maryland, told CNN that they worked hard to ensure that football players lived by the same rules as other students.

"We always taught our guys they weren't better than somebody else," Edsall said. "My whole thing was, we told our guys up front that there was a student code of conduct they had to adhere to. If they violated it, there would be consequences."

Penn State recruited Triponey in 2003. She quickly figured out she was the leading candidate when the university brought on its A game for her interview. Her campus visit coincided with the weekend of "The Thon," a popular dance marathon that students hold to raise money for charity.<<

There is another mention towards the tail-end of the article.

Reaction Score
I heard of her before. Joe Pa's reputation is now completely in tatters. He certainly had nice things to say to her. Oh well. Reap what you sow.

Reaction Score
Great read. I'm sure the culture is no different at tOSU, USC, Miami and others. Ironically PSU has a lot in common with those schools.

Win at all costs? I think I'll pass.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
To borrow a term from the BY only JoePa apologists pretend he had bosses.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Remember Aaron Hernandez and his positive drug tests at UF? Those are "violation of team rules" suspensions and dismissals at UConn. Not at UF.

Reaction Score
I met Triponey at a UConn function in the early 2000s. Seemed like a nice enough person. It sounds to me she was trying to do her job at PSU and Paterno was an egomaniacal .

Reaction Score
Paterno lashing out against her on the radio had to be turn everybody against her. It was a bully tactic plain and simple. The Penn State way seemed to be "whatever Joe wants, Joe gets".

Reaction Score
Interesting article about Vicky Triponey who worked with FHCRE at UConn before departing to serve as the head of student affairs at PSU.

She left Wichita in 1998 for the University of Connecticut, where she helped coach Randy Edsall build up the football program. Edsall, who is now head coach at the University of Maryland, told CNN that they worked hard to ensure that football players lived by the same rules as other students.
"We always taught our guys they weren't better than somebody else," Edsall said. "My whole thing was, we told our guys up front that there was a student code of conduct they had to adhere to. If they violated it, there would be consequences."

Edsall, her former colleague at UConn, says Triponey stands in contrast to the other officials at Penn State and the choices they made. "She lost her job, but she never lost her principles, her values or her morals," he said. "When you see a friend, a colleague, go through what she went through, it's good to see that things have come to light.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/07/15/us/triponey-paterno-penn-state/index.html

Reaction Score
Anybody ever hear of her? Apparently she helped Randy Edsall here at UConn with player discipline issues. She left here to serve in a similar a capacity. However, Joe Paterno's bully tactics kept from doing her job and eventually force her out. This article really should end any speculation that Paterno had any "superiors". He was a dictator when it came to anything to do with the football program.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/15/us/triponey-paterno-penn-state/index.html?hpt=hp_c1&is_LR=1

Paterno ridiculed her on a radio show as "that lady in Old Main" who couldn't possibly know how to handle students because "she didn't have kids."

Tensions reached the breaking point in 2007 over how to discipline half a dozen players who'd been arrested at a brawl at an off-campus apartment complex. Several students were injured; one beaten unconscious.

Triponey met with Paterno and other university officials half a dozen times, although she preferred to remain neutral as the appeals hearing officer.

At the final meeting, Triponey urged the coach to advise his players to tell the truth. Paterno said angrily that he couldn't force his players to "rat" on each other since they had to practice and play together. Curley and Spanier backed him up on that point, she said.

Triponey recommended suspensions; Paterno pushed for community service that included having the team clean up the stadium for two hours after each home game.

In the end, four players were briefly suspended during the off-season. They didn't miss a game.
"At the final meeting, Triponey urged the coach to advise his players to tell the truth. Paterno said angrily that he couldn't force his players to "rat" on each other since they had to practice and play together."

You can take the boy out of Brooklyn but not the Brooklyn out of the boy; even with exposure to the Ivy League.

Reaction Score
Yeah, im surprised JoePa, didn't hit her with the classic line "snitches get stitches".

Reaction Score

Paterno ridiculed her on a radio show as "that lady in Old Main" who couldn't possibly know how to handle students because "she didn't have kids."
Tensions reached the breaking point in 2007 over how to discipline half a dozen players who'd been arrested at a brawl at an off-campus apartment complex. Several students were injured; one beaten unconscious.
Triponey met with Paterno and other university officials half a dozen times, although she preferred to remain neutral as the appeals hearing officer.
At the final meeting, Triponey urged the coach to advise his players to tell the truth. Paterno said angrily that he couldn't force his players to "rat" on each other since they had to practice and play together. Curley and Spanier backed him up on that point, she said.
Triponey recommended suspensions; Paterno pushed for community service that included having the team clean up the stadium for two hours after each home game.
In the end, four players were briefly suspended during the off-season. They didn't miss a game.
If anybody truly knew UCONN football prior to the Edsall era ( go back to the Tom Jackson era in fact ) you know discipline needed to be instilled in this program... If you were ever at any bar parties on Thursday or Friday nights you know what I mean... outta control... this lady had to have helped Edsall do wonders with the football culture up in Storrs, CT

Reaction Score
Please tell me I'm not the only one who witnessed the battle royal rumbles a Thumpers on a few Thursday evenings...

Reaction Score
If anybody truly knew UCONN football prior to the Edsall era ( go back to the Tom Jackson era in fact ) you know discipline needed to be instilled in this program... If you were ever at any bar parties on Thursday or Friday nights you know what I mean... outta control... this lady had to have helped Edsall do wonders with the football culture up in Storrs, CT

Somebody got into it with me a while back about the Tailhook scandal in the early 90s. What happened there that week in Vegas, wasn't much different than what happened at some of those parties back in the 80s.

I'm not condoning anyone that crosses the line between consent, and non-consent, in personal contact of any kind - sexual or not, adn there are lines you shouldn't cross, but interaction among adults is different than interaction among an adult and adolescent, pre-teen boys.

The biggest issue back then, to me, on college campuses, was that the drinking age was 18 until the mid 80s, (I just missed the cut for being able to drink keg beer at dinner in the dorms at UCONN, classes in front of me? They did.).....and it goes back a lot farther than that when JoePa took over in State College PA in the 60s. It was a big reason why males and females were kept separate living quarters until the past two decades or so.....they still had all male, all female dorms on campus when I was at UConn and still did well into the 1990s.

That drinking age legally of 18, also happened to be the same age that most 18 year old males and females were for the first time out of their parents houses, and able to make their own choices about things like alcohol, and parties.

A lot of the problems that happened on college campuses, were directly related to the drinking and partying shenanigans of teenagers.

That's something that Paterno was easily able to handle in house.

But a criminal deviant like Sandusky goes far beyond that. That was something that never should have been attempted to handle in house, and could have been avoided, had PSU officials done the right things, as early as 1991 regarding the Clery Act.

Reaction Score
Please tell me I'm not the only one who witnessed the battle royal rumbles a Thumpers on a few Thursday evenings...

I remember those days. Out of control is the correct and appropriate description for SOME members of our football team in the Jackson era.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom