Very slowwwwly the info about the UNC cheating dibbles out... | The Boneyard

Very slowwwwly the info about the UNC cheating dibbles out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In this "the fumble" piece that references the "Outside the lines" interview the main former employee who blew the whistle on UNC, Mary Willingham and a former athlete speak about what was happening and why and who knew about it. I don't how how long the NCAA can continue to ignore the evidence that this was an athletic-based cheating system designed to keep athletes playing for UNC when they wouldn't otherwise be eligible. In this piece Mary was asked by the interviewer who knew about this and she named several academic officials that the previous report had indicated to be unaware of this. In the prior report all the blame was focused on the Afro-American Studies program Chairman and his assistant. I wonder how long or if ever UNC will have to actually answer for cheating it's way to championships with ineligible players in basketball and football. It would be better late than never, but it sucks that they still have not been punished by the NCAA with all the info that is available.
http://www.thefumble.com/sports-news/unc-athlete-submits-one-paragraph-final-paper-receives.html
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:10671809

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Ultimately there will be 2 crimes committed. The first crime is not taking the educational needs of the "student" athlete seriously and pushing them through the system. The second crime is that they will face no repurcussions from it. Hopefully every school has learned that if you're going to cheat, make sure that non-athletes also receive favor so the NCAA doesn't get involved. Easy game.

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
The line that sticks out to me is: Willingham says in the email that she and Chancellor Carol Folt clearly have different ideas and opinions.
I would say that Willingham wants the athletes to be educated and Folt wants it kept quiet and swept under a rug. That's how I see the different ideas.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UNC wants to shift the focus to whether her specific conclusions were scientifically correct rather than acknowledge the bigger issue - having a large number of fake classes that were designed to keep money-making athletes eligible even though they were not qualified to attend a high-level post-secondary institution.

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
Even UNC's indepndent people said that 7% read at a 4th-8th grade level. If 176 athletes were tested that amounts to 12. Isn't that still too many?

Reaction Score
Question, was UNC's bowl ban in any way related to this? Or was that Butch Davis' doing?

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
I think that was all Butch Davis. The NCAA has no intention of disciplining UNC because non-athletes also benefited from the paper classes.

Reaction Score
Ultimately there will be 2 crimes committed. The first crime is not taking the educational needs of the "student" athlete seriously and pushing them through the system. The second crime is that they will face no repurcussions from it. Hopefully every school has learned that if you're going to cheat, make sure that non-athletes also receive favor so the NCAA doesn't get involved. Easy game.

If I'm a parent, and I'm paying tuition and my kid was in a class like that, I would demand some of my money back and a total audit of the academic side of the university. What kind of education is he getting for what I'm paying?

Reaction Score
I think that was all Butch Davis. The NCAA has no intention of disciplining UNC because non-athletes also benefited from the paper classes.

In addition to the rich and super-rich, middle and upper-middle class people invested with Bernie Madoff. I guess the FEDS can free Madoff.

Lesson learned? Liars, thieves, defrauders, etc.: Being inclusive is both a moral and immoral imperative.

By the way, to what lengths is UNC willing to go to scapegoat the former head of Afro-American Studies and how scared is UNC of the Professor taking his story to the media? His Lawyer has said that the Professor ain't going quietly. A case of, "if you ruin me, I'll ruin you right back." Academia is much more interesting than most people realize.

Reaction Score
We need start cultivating NC more for recruits with all that's going on in Chapel Hill....

Reaction Score
If I'm a parent, and I'm paying tuition and my kid was in a class like that, I would demand some of my money back and a total audit of the academic side of the university. What kind of education is he getting for what I'm paying?
Even if a student didn't take the class, having fake classes at a university brings down the value of everyones' degrees.

Reaction Score
Even if a student didn't take the class, having fake classes at a university brings down the value of everyones' degrees.

A friend of mine had a different reaction. He figures his oldest son might actually get around to finishing college if he could find a school with fake classes. I think he was kidding.:rolleyes:

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
really? who? I know that was the party line but has anyone ever heard of a non athlete getting credit for these no show classes?

Let's say for a moment that they did. The availability of no show class to a non athlete is only a defense to a NCAA claim of a impermissible benefit. It is not a defense to filing fraudulent APR reports. That sure sounds like lack of institutional control, which is a death penalty offense.

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
really? who? I know that was the party line but has anyone ever heard of a non athlete getting credit for these no show classes?

Let's say for a moment that they did. The availability of no show class to a non athlete is only a defense to a NCAA claim of a impermissible benefit. It is not a defense to filing fraudulent APR reports. That sure sounds like lack of institutional control, which is a death penalty offense.
I had noted once before that the precedent set here is if you're going to cheat, make sure at least 1 non student athlete is involved so the NCAA doesn't pursue it.

Reaction Score
I had noted once before that the precedent set here is if you're going to cheat, make sure at least 1 non student athlete is involved so the NCAA doesn't pursue it.

At last check, our APR casualties which caused the 2012 ban also attended class with non-student-athletes.

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
At last check, our APR casualties which caused the 2012 ban also attended class with non-student-athletes.
Right. I'm saying if you're going to cheat, which we didn't do and got punished for, create the paper and no show classes with a mix of student athletes and non-athlete students.

Reaction Score
Right. I'm saying if you're going to cheat, which we didn't do and got punished for, create the paper and no show classes with a mix of student athletes and non-athlete students.

Yeah, I wasn't being a wise guy (well, not to you, anyway), I was just commenting on the mockery of the NCAA's disparate treatment of two schools.

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
Yeah, I wasn't being a wise guy (well, not to you, anyway), I was just commenting on the mockery of the NCAA's disparate treatment of two schools.
I didn't sense any wise guy in your comment. I just thought you misunderstood my comment about the effective way to cheat and escape the wrath of the NCAA.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I didn't sense any wise guy in your comment. I just thought you misunderstood my comment about the effective way to cheat and escape the wrath of the NCAA.
Of course you realize if UConn had done what UNC did, the NCAA's response would have been decidedly different. Their reasoning was an excuse for inaction not a statement of policy.

Reaction Score
UNC wants to shift the focus to whether her specific conclusions were scientifically correct rather than acknowledge the bigger issue - having a large number of fake classes that were designed to keep money-making athletes eligible even though they were not qualified to attend a high-level post-secondary institution.

fake classes? it sounds like there was a fake academic department. I don't understand how there hasn't been more talk of UNC losing their accreditation. I always thought the whole point of accreditation is to make sure colleges aren't giving kids B-S degrees without making them take any classes.

Reaction Score
So where is the media outrage? Who is the Jay Bilas of CFB? OTL is a niche program. This needs a 20/20 or 60 Minutes treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom